Note to New Members ×

Using Step-in for rear foot-TD2?

powdahbonz

This is a great idea and one that I've used this season. Plus, you have an extra cable and heel assembly to use when the old one needs replacing.

Mark

How are you able to switch left-to-right or vice-versa? The hardware inside seems to be side specific.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd set of TD2's, step-ins, and keeping front foot as standard and rear as step-in. Who else does this and is there pro/con? Seems like it would make life easier. Anyone have feedback for me on this?

I am riding like this with F2s. I have yet to find any con. The bindings flex a little bit didfferently but I do not feel it when riding.

Iirc Bruce is using a setup like this, too. (must be good then ;-)

Yes, this is an excellent way to set up 2 sets of bindings. I used to have my bombers like this and now I have 2 pair of CATEKS set up for rear step in. You have to bend over only a couple times a day and the rest of the time you are just reaching for the release handle on your rear leg.

And as noted it does give you two heel assemblies to use over your riding life.

To change one Right heel into a Left heel, you just have to open the heel assemblies up. So after getting it off the boot, you remove the 3-4 small screws and the plastic cover lifts off. Then use your rear heel assembly as the guide (meaning DON'T TAKE IT APART), and carefully remove the guts from the other. Then you have to basically flip the parts over and re-install. This will probably take you one or two times, but rest assured it does work.

The original designer of the heel assemblies was a good designer, since he designed all the parts to be the same and interchangeable from Left to Right. A good sign of a smart designer, limiting the number of parts needed for the L & R assembly, and thus reducing the manufacturing costs and increasing profit (or decreasing sale price).

I'm at work and don't have the attendant parts in front of me but, I had figured I could put the left heel insert on the right heel receiver (boot and receiver) and it would work. I could be wrong. I was wrong once many years ago. If it doesn't matter what side the cable and handle are on I can't see where there'd be a big difference. Of course, I'd have to use my hand on the inside of the boot instead of the outside. If I'm wrong on this (covered above) please, flame away, flame away....

Mark

I'm at work and don't have the attendant parts in front of me but, I had figured I could put the left heel insert on the right heel receiver (boot and receiver) and it would work. I could be wrong. I was wrong once many years ago. If it doesn't matter what side the cable and handle are on I can't see where there'd be a big difference. Of course, I'd have to use my hand on the inside of the boot instead of the outside. If I'm wrong on this (covered above) please, flame away, flame away....

Mark

Mark, you could just mount the left heel on the right, its the same four screw holes. There are only two real problems, which are really minor.

1. there is only one hole in the bottom of the boot, so you'll have to drill a new one in the heel of the boot, instep side. So OK, that's easy.

2. If you do drill a new hole in the heel of the boot, this means that the cable will be running up the inside of your leg, and will be buried inside your ski (snowboard?) pants. Now, me I bring my boot cable out through the lower leg zipper and velcro cuff of my ski pants so I can keep the ski pants cuff down low where its supposed to be. But this one is more personal choice.

But swapping the internals is really easy, it really only takes a few minutes once you figure it out. So the choices are

A. spend a few minutes swapping the internals of your intec heel and take the opportunity to lubricate the parts while you're in there (something you should be doing periodically anyway).

B. Spend more than a few minutes figuring out where to drill a hole in your boot heel, then actually drilling the hole, and having the release handle on the inside of your boot. And then have your rear ski pants riding at the top of the boot so you can access the handle, and by the way, look like a dork for not having your ski pants pulled down around your boot like the rest of the normal people.

OPH: That's funny you should mention looking like a dork with my pants leg up around my boot cuff. A few weeks ago, I was in a hurry to get on the snow for a great blue-sky groomer day. I went through the normal routine of getting ready and I forgot to pull my pants cuff down and over my rear boot. I made several runs and never noticed the problem until one of the lifties asked me who dressed me that morning. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense.

I sure like the idea of swapping the internals and I can do that in the summer months when I'm not busy riding. Thanks for the tip!

Mark