Note to New Members ×

Madd Base Problems?

scrapster

Does anyone have translucent patches on the base of their Madd's? I'm returning the board pictured below to the guy I bought it from. The consensus among my fellow riders was the base was high, so the factory grind thinned it out too much (the base under the back binding is even more translucent.) The rest of the board is almost in pristine condition and the edges are really thick, so I doubt any of its owners ground it.

Its just weird. I'm going to send the board back in any case (the guy was ultimately good to deal with), but I'm really curious if this is a known Madd thing?

post-6931-141842276685_thumb.jpg

might of been a shop tech that tuned the board or a second

mine was fine

seen a ton of second hand boards like that due to some weekend warrior that would grind boards every year, five years in row then dumps it. the irony is the bards are otherwise pretty fresh because they come from guys who put in five days a year.

Hi ho,

I am a complete (and older) newbie to hardbooting (and posting to this forum). BUT-I am lovin' it! Am planning on going to OES for Fri/Sat. Hopefully, there will be some similarly skilled (or not so) folks there as well.

Aloha,

Max (aka grayontray)

Hey Max,

All skill levels at the OES. See you there.

You might want to go to the OES thread for info.

I have a 158 that was tuned 1 time by Mike at PTC, and it can not be tuned again I can see the pattern of the fiber glass in the petex layer. I was the first owner of this board so I am sure of the history. It was very base high and took that many passes to get it flat.

yes, this can happen

One of my tankers was real thin after PTC.

my prior is not thin but there's not much left either. Mike grinds 'till they are flat or he does not think he can go anymore.

both boards had never been ground before.

this may be common with madds, mine was fine though.

I have to say that it's not limited to them.

there were more problems with that first green sidewall run though.......

Be asking “how far to go?” I mean, I would rather get a board back the is 85% flat and that has a grind or 2 left then a perfectly flat board that had no life left. Let’s be real, none of us are on the WC so I would think that a “rather flat board” would be fine for most of us.

You board is either flat or not. If it is base high it will be squirrly riding flat and in the transitions. A flat board that can not be ground is better than a none flat board that can be ground later.

Why intentionally handicape your boards performance because you want to grind it again in the future? If you take care of your equipment you can get many seasons out of one grind. Stay away from rocks, and keep it waxed to avoid base burn.

If this is common with their product it shows a lack of craftmanship and quality control.

Be asking “how far to go?” I mean, I would rather get a board back the is 85% flat and that has a grind or 2 left then a perfectly flat board that had no life left. Let’s be real, none of us are on the WC so I would think that a “rather flat board” would be fine for most of us.

no, then Mike would be compromising his service.

I am not speaking for him, it's just that he does what he needs to do to put a race flat base on your board.

we're not on the world cup but after PTC your board will be tuned like it.

if he was sending out boards that were not flat some of us would be able to feel it or see it with a bar and there'd be a lot less incentive to go back.....

quality control.

Bingo!

Issue with Madd ever since they came back, right?

one of the reasons I like Coiler so much - Last year I took a Madd 170 (brand new) and a Coiler (also brand new) to startingate - Madd took upwards of 10 passes to get it flat. Coiler was flat right from Bruce's hands - just added structure and good to go. and this was the same day, same tech, same machine - no variables other than the board.

Bingo!

Issue with Madd ever since they came back, right?

one of the reasons I like Coiler so much - Last year I took a Madd 170 (brand new) and a Coiler (also brand new) to startingate - Madd took upwards of 10 passes to get it flat. Coiler was flat right from Bruce's hands - just added structure and good to go. and this was the same day, same tech, same machine - no variables other than the board.

agreed!

my coilers have all been flat or damn close.

You board is either flat or not. If it is base high it will be squirrly riding flat and in the transitions. A flat board that can not be ground is better than a none flat board that can be ground later.

Why intentionally handicape your boards performance because you want to grind it again in the future? If you take care of your equipment you can get many seasons out of one grind. Stay away from rocks, and keep it waxed to avoid base burn.

If this is common with their product it shows a lack of craftmanship and quality control.

Sir, you are wrong. Diffrent grinds for diffrent snow. In fact the above statement is so wrong on so many levels, It could be crazy talk....

As for PTC, Mike has been know to say "Flat boards and Flat skis are overrated." So I just threw your post out the window......

Sir, you are wrong. Diffrent grinds for diffrent snow. In fact the above statement is so wrong on so many levels, It could be crazy talk....

As for PTC, Mike has been know to say "Flat boards and Flat skis are overrated." So I just threw your post out the window......

wow, someone's really looking get people going, ehh?

yeah, different structure for different snow but the boards still should be flat as possible.

even then, there are structures that work pretty well in most conditions... if you have a extra deck specific for wet conditions you can have one with deep structure or whatever.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. (I didn't know that this would generate some heat :) My original post had a pretty specific context--I had just purchased the board for a high, but reasonable price, and had the opportunity to return it if I was unsatisfied. I'm sure the board still has some value, whatever the state of its base. BUT, you all confirmed that it was a problem in terms of the sale and the price that I paid for it. So, its heading back to its original home.

Yes there are different grinds for different snow. The people who actually need different grinds for different snow have multiple boards, ie a cold snow board and a wet snow board ect.

For every little bit your base is high it's adding perceived base bevel. Most riders I know run between a .5 and a 1 degree base bevel, that isn't allowing much room to be base high and not have it negatively effect the handleing of your board, even if you know your base is high and compensate with the edge bevels.

Most boards have about 4-5 grinds in them if you are changing your grind every time the snow changes your board won't last one season. Plus every time you grind your board it is actually slower and takes time and work to get it fast again.

For everyone here one good multi-purpose grind, if take care of should last a few season for the majority of members here. Keep in mind that most of the members here are weekenders and have multiple boards so their most favorite board still sees very limited use, compared to a full time snowboarder.

If I'm so wrong and know so little about teching and servicing boards Dirk I ask you this.....When was the last time an athlete you teched for made it to the podium of a major international race? Because athletes our program techs for have been on podiums at everything from USASA events to World Cups and litterally everything inbetween THIS season. You site PTC's supreme end all knowledge, but again I ask you this who was the last person on the Snowboard World Cup to send their boards to him? I bet no SBX athletes do. In SBX your base prep is much more important than in Alpine.

agreed.

Why ask this question if you are not able to tolerate peoples responses?

Why ask this question if you are not able to tolerate peoples responses?

i believe its called a rhetorical question... oops, is yours one of those too?;)

edit: though, after rereading, i dont think he actually asked a question...