Note to New Members ×

TD1 problems

BryanZ

What is it that is stripping - the threads in the aluminum body of the binding? the stainless steel fastener threads (seems unlikely)? or the hex socket drive on the screws? I have never had problems with TD1 screws stripping but they can be hard to turn after they have taken a set. Sometimes the hex socket drive can get chewed up when you are applying a lot of pressure with a conventional Allen wrench.

There are two problems with the stainless to aluminum interface:

1. There is a bit of a galvanic thing happening. The proportion of aluminum versus stainless is favourable so it is not very significant but I have sometimes wondered if it is to blame when fasteners jamb.

2. Stainless steel tends to gall (rolls up microscopic balls of metal on the thread surface that tend to lock the fastener. This is more of a problem when you are going stainless to stainless but I think it can also be a factor in aluminum.

You might want to try a T handle wrench that gives better purchase on the screw. WD-40 is always worth a try but try to keep it off the plastic surfaces of the board and be aware that the threads will be slick for a long time after so you will need to diligent with tightening screws. If and when you get the screws out, you might want to use Bomber Butter on them when you reinstall them.