Note to New Members ×

TD1 Bail tension

Lorddrek

My boot toe tips were getting plastic rubbed off from the bail levers being too tight. Mostly from the rear boot when it's not seated fully in the heel bail. The levers snapped on the boot and really felt secure. You could see the toe plastic compress a bit though so I was thinking too tight.

With plates off board I adjusted the front bail on one and both bails on another one turn each. I tried both and felt the one with both bails adjusted was better even though it clamped in much more softly. I put these on the board and clipped in to try out the feel. It seemed to be a bit more flexable side to side than I remembered the old way.

Are the bails too loose now? It makes me nervous thinking about not being clipped in well enough. I am pretty big at 270# so I am asking a lot from my bindings. I have size 30 mondo Head Stratos. They came with hard heel and toe pads. Would these be better to use? I do like the binding flex though if it is acceptable. Bindings have purple bumpers if that matters.

Derek

Without seeing your setup directly, I'd agree that lateral play in the boot is something to be nervous about. I've cracked Catek bails (at a measly 150 lbs) by setting them too loose, so the boot could apply lateral force in a way they're not designed for. It sounds like unscrewing front and back bails one turn each is too loose for your setup.

On the other hand, if the boot sole is bending/flexing when you clip in, your bails are set too tight, so just backing off the toe bail one turn might be the right approach. Whatever you do, check your bails for cracks before riding. No guarantees, of course, but mine showed wear (small cracks) before actually separating.

And, just curious: it sounds like you replaced the orginal heel/toe pads on the boots, is that right? What did you replace them with?