Note to New Members ×

MHES (Mt Hood expression session) '05

Mike T

Originally posted by fin

Mike,

Right on! The North West soooo needs a killer carve event. Please keep in touch with us here at BOL and if/when you get some dates set we can post on our Events Page and get you some coverage and promote the event.

Michelle or I would be more then happy to chat with you about how we go about our SES event and what works and what does not work. Give us a ring or e-mail and we'll go from there.

Seeing as it is Hood, I suspect people would want to bring their powder deck right? :D Hood is pow-pow heaven from what I hear.

Moving this to a new thread....

Fin, I'll be in touch soon! My first stop is to find out what Timberline's spring schedule is.

In terms of being a powder haven... sure we do get copious amounts of snow here, but we don't get the low temps you see in Colorado, Utah, and even inland NW. So, often times it's deep snow but not as powdery as one would like. No matter, it's still fun. Powder guns work well in it.

Last year's Mt Hood Carve Fest thread:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1498

I think the May scheduling worked out well, plus it might attract people from other places whose resorts have already closed. Plus the place is empty even on the weekends, no lift lines, and if we can make it big enough Timberline may do extra grooming for us.

Guest AlpentalRider

you set the date and specifics and I'm there. I missed this year's event due to catching a bad flu 2 days prior to the event :(

May works great cause let's be honest, I'm not going to be on a carving deck in the middle of february if there's 12" of new laying on the ground. I'm heading straight for the backcountry weeeeeeee

Either sounds fine by me. If it came up to a coin toss, I'd just pick the earlier weekend.

Is timberline's 2004-5 calender up anywhere? They usually have that competition sometime early in May, might want to dodge those days.

Where's this Pow-Pow heaven on Mt Hood? :D Actually, I don't have enough seasons to compare, and hindsight is very biased... but I recall quite a few great powder days this last season.

Alpental: you may get your wish, durring 02-03 there was a fairly powdery day at timberline in May.

Originally posted by jason_watkins

Either sounds fine by me. If it came up to a coin toss, I'd just pick the earlier weekend.

Is timberline's 2004-5 calender up anywhere? They usually have that competition sometime early in May, might want to dodge those days.

Where's this Pow-Pow heaven on Mt Hood? :D Actually, I don't have enough seasons to compare, and hindsight is very biased... but I recall quite a few great powder days this last season.

Alpental: you may get your wish, durring 02-03 there was a fairly powdery day at timberline in May.

Last season sported below average temps at the Hood and we had some amazing powder days! This season is supposed to be a weak el nino - which traditionally means Tahoe will get some of the snow that normally would hit OR, and also few really cold days. No matter, even in the low snow years, Timberline will be glistening white in May.

TES and MES?

One for the Spring, one for the Winter?

Mt Hood Meadows is the place during the winter at Mt Hood. Why wait till Spring? Perhaps throwing in a well placed session at Mt Hood Meadows could be just the thing?? New High speed quad this year. Making it 5 HS Quads. Starting to look like a real resort. Fairly cheap hotels in Portland (1-1/4 hrs away) or even Hood River 45 minutes away (easy drive, beautiful country side.

I was thinking about bringing up a dozen vintage carving boards for an "Old School Dayz" Now that would definitely get some laughs , smiles and serious rubber neckin!! How many of you guys have actually ridden a "Stealth" Aggression or Kemper Bullet? Of course you may wisely never wanted to , but?. Could be fun.

Originally posted by Mike T

This season is supposed to be a weak el nino - which traditionally means Tahoe will get some of the snow that normally would hit OR, and also few really cold days. No matter, even in the low snow years, Timberline will be glistening white in May.

I don't know about that. I think resorts are counting on a good year. I got called back to work today and a ton of others are starting next week.

If the doc says ok then count me in for next year. I should be good to go by that time. I missed the first one due to surgery.:mad:

________

GROUP LIVE

Originally posted by www.oldsnowboards.com

TES and MES?

One for the Spring, one for the Winter?

Mt Hood Meadows is the place during the winter at Mt Hood. Why wait till Spring? Perhaps throwing in a well placed session at Mt Hood Meadows could be just the thing??

Bryan - a Meadows event could certainly be a lot of fun! Certainly feel free to organize one :) I suspect a mid-winter event would have to be midweek, even with the new Vista Express, weekends at Meadows are probably too crowded for having a whole slew of carvers. Then again, if Upper Heather is open, that keeps people on the snow instead of the lifts, and we could all bust out the Tankers, 4807's, and all-mountain carvers and have a blast. (Keep in mind, the whole city of Portland knows when it's a powder day and plays hookie, so even on a Tuesday lift lines can be bad, because the more it snows, the less likley the upper mountain is open...)

I'll continue to plan the Timberline event in May, of course. I've already spoken to folks at Timberline, they noticed us last year when it was more of a "just show up" event and are happy to work with us on making it bigger. (It's the part of the season with great snow and no skiers)

I was thinking about bringing up a dozen vintage carving boards for an "Old School Dayz" Now that would definitely get some laughs , smiles and serious rubber neckin!! How many of you guys have actually ridden a "Stealth" Aggression or Kemper Bullet? Of course you may wisely never wanted to , but?. Could be fun.

Now THAT would be a sight! I'm personally of the "life is too short to ride anythning but my faves" persuasion, but I'll reide along with the Old Schoolers on a "Moilek".

Byran,

I would interested in helping you set up a Winter session at Meadows this year . The NW seems to have a good population of carvers now that would support this. You seem to know alot of the meadow workers . I would love to ride my first carving board ...a burton sarfari 165 with burton variplates and modified rachlie flexon ski boots. I was riding this as my powder board back when i first met you ....1994.

Jim

Hey Jim, The board and bindings are a done deal! Not sure about he boots. I am not sure you will say "Sweet" after a few runs on that slab, but I would definitely buy tickets to "The SHOW" :) We where much younger men then.

I will send out some "feelers" and work the ski/snowboard show pretty hard. Lets see if we can narrow down the time frame. Like some time after we can expect a decent snowpack of 50" or better, not conflicting with any of the other events and good time for those that want to help. I am fairly flexible on date and I am happy to schedule some time off. You know me though. Just don't ask me to stand around long? I WANT TO RIDE!! I am used to being there early. Now with the later start time that should help too. I'll be getting a help page together on the site , local hotels, maps, links, blah, blah , carve, blah :o . Sound good? Let's make it happen. Bryan

Guest Matt D

This sounds like a great idea Mike. I'm gonna try super hard to make it. The first week of May is bad for me, but we'll talk after you get some dates finalized. What about the end of April?

Mike ,

I am willing to help you with anything to make this years carvefest a international event . Let me know if there is anything I can do . I would be glad to host a Portland apres-board session at my house on one of the nights. I guess it is never too early to plan....

Current dates of carving events

SES ---- Feb 14-18

ECES --- march 7-13

MHES--- May 13-16

(winter Mt hood Meadows Event by Byran TBA)

Wow, this is most action I have ever seen this early, I guess you all have new equipment that you want to try out ?

Jim :)

I still do not understand the issues about ECES ......perhaps it's an east coast thing. I guess I looked at an old post...sorry Jack. Perhaps we can have the Meadows AES on the old dates of the ECES since it is still in question? :confused: Its not like that many from the NW had plans to attend (other than Mike T) anyways....

Jim

cmc is flying solo with the organization of the 2005 ECES (if it even happens). IMO, his heart is in the wrong place to be part of a community building organization such as the ECES. Also he has alienated a sizable number of industry members and people who love this sport, and who used to love the ECES.

... I was hoping to attend this year, since I could combine it with a family visit (I have tons of relatives in VT/NH who would love nothing more than to get to know my two year old daughter while my wife and I carve).

With current developments the way they are, it's looking like a no-go for me, so if another western event winds up coinciding with Curt's ECES then it doesn't cause me any trouble!

Now only if I had some family in CO, I'd be at SES in a flash!

Timberline is selling a Midweek + Spring pass for $149. Details here: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/store/products.cfm?subcategory=0

It's good on non-holiday weekdays until March 27, and every day from March 28 to June 5.

This would be a very good choice for Mt Hood locals planning to attend MHES; spring lift tickets will likely be $32, so if you ride the 4 days of MHES you only need one more day to break even. They only sell the pass until 1/2/05.

• 2 weeks later...