Note to New Members ×

Shreds quiver review

Bobby Buggs

Had a chance today to test the OG Stubby X2 the X4 hyper Arrow aka the Madd Killer and the Euro version of the X5 monster called Das Plankenschtien. Conditions were good groom with hard snow, perfect viz and very limited crowds, great day to do some serious speed.

First was the X4. Now this was a 164, the shortest board I have been on in a good 6 years or more. 19.5 with 3 side cuts along the length of the edge and of course a Shred signature funky nose. I was worried about the short edge length but this board railed turns like a 170 plus. You can take it real tight or stretch out your arcs as big as you needed. Ultra stable even at significant speed. If you like narrow decks or are fond of Madd style boards you must give this one a try.

2nd up was the OG Schtubby X2, now this board was a 20 and 171 with a 13.2 m sidecut. It rode very much like my 176 AM, super stable with uncompromising edge hold and a bit more Pop than my Am. With a little speed you can vary the arc size to what ever you like with ZERO chatter. Like my Am this board can really inspire confidence in your riding quick.

Last was the 188 X5 23 with a 16 sidecut. With out a doubt the biggest board I have ever rode. Funny thing about it I never felt it was too long or wide. It was built for a 200 plus rider and Im only 180 so I really needed to crank up the speed to get it to shine. Once I got over the fact that I was going Much faster than I usually ride I was able to toss this 188 around with quick cross unders and big Euro heel sides.Very impressed, so much that I forgot how Ugly it was:D I would really like to get on one that was a bit more suited for my 180 weight. If I lived in Colorado or a place with real slopes and some space This would be my Only board.

Over all a Perfect day at Berkshire East and a great time with Shred, Many laughs with him Mark, Chris, Kevin. Great day with a great crew:biggthump.

The Beast will be great tomorrow and if you want to try one of these board you better get there Early as Shred has to catch a plane.

I had the priviledge of riding both the Schtubby X-2 and the the X-4 Arrow.

I thought I was never ever going to ride a metal board. I thought it was the last thing I wanted in a board. I like feedback in my boards, lively action. The last thing I would want is a damp metal board, right? WRONG! These boards are just so unbelievebly smooth and have unbelieveable edge hold. You can litterally make it do whatever you want. An immediate boost in confidence that ANY carver would feel right away.

I first rode the X-4 Arrow. The shape of this board really caught my eye. The extreme shape of the nose grabs you right away. The elliptical sidecut allows you to put the board into supertight or long carves. I've never ridden a Madd 158, but I can't possibly see how it could be better than this. Coiler X-4 Arrow is the new king of east coast ice.

Immediately after I rode the X-4 I tested out the X-2 Schtubby. This board had similar riding characteristics of the X-4. I can see why this board has become so wildly popular. Even though this board didn't have an elliptical sidecut, I felt like this board could handle any type of turn at any time.

What a great day at The BEast with all the other carvers.

Shred

Couple things. I was wondering if you have a laundry list of builds you have had BV do with name, specs, expected performance vs. actual performance. I am tickled pink with the build BV did for me and it has been just made things so much better for my day being enjoyable. I dont fret over variable east coast conditions, icy one day , perfect the next, crummy grooming conditions, etc etc. and thru all of it my 77T has handling it all and given me the comfort in hold and smooth ride on anything.

With that, my mind is moving towards my next build and wondering if you would offer up all the builds you have, just to get some ideas. also considering a monsta.

Also, we are looking to have BMES here in eastern PA at Blue Mountain and some folks might be traveling from out your way. Check out this link.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24646

It would be cool if the OH contingent could make it. JBS indicated those guys were ripping at SES.

Greg

Jack Thanks

I am sorta in that neighborhood already.

177 x 20 x 13.2/14.2 with 6mm taper. it hink going shorter and 13.2 radius would keep on the same block, looking some thing that runs a bit bigger.

I am able to turn this thing on runs I could only turn my presnapped MADD 158 and my current POGO Overdose and the 77T does nice big open arcs as well.

I have found that I have more room on some of my favorite runs than i thought so I was thinking someting like a

182-185 x 22 x 15.5/16.5, a bigger gun that likes to run a bit but can also crank. I like the length becuase it seems to "Magic Carpet" over the crud and groomers ridges we get here in PA.

It may be a year or so b4 I can build again, so I would have other stuff to consider and what better place then Shreds mad scientist lab.

I got to take part in Shred's demo day yesterday as well. It was quite an eye-opener having never ridden anything metal before. I came away from the experience with two major impressions. The metal Coilers feel like they will never let you down when it comes to edge hold, and riding one feels like straight-up cheating.;)

I started off the day on Bobby Buggs' X-2 derived 176 AM. This board has a 12 meter sidecut and a traditional nose instead of the schtubby front end. The groom was still cold and stiff. From all the talk, I expected a step up in performance from the other boards I have been on, but was not prepared for what a leap it would be. This board rode like it was on mind control! The edge hold was a massive boost to my confidence. Even when entering a turn out of form, it let me know I needed to shape-up, but didn't punish me for it. I found myself picking my way around terrain features without a care for how close I was to the edge of the trail, trees, snowguns, or towers. Turns could be initiated at a whim, and the shape could be changed drasticly, at any speed I rode the board at, just by looking deeper into the arc. Total safety dance, total fun.:biggthump

Next I got on Shred's X-4 Hyper Arrow. This thing is just realy cool. It looks bad-ass with the tiny little point of a nose on it. Due to the sharp corner where the sidecut ends and the nose starts, there is nothing the snow sees except pure edge. In fact, pure edge is what this board is all about. At 164 over-all legth, or there abouts, it had all the edge of the Madd 170 I've been riding lately. It was iteresting switching between the two. The X-4 and it's multi-radius sidecut felt familiar too me coming off the Madd, but with that magic metal edge hold and ability to easily reduce turn radius whenever and wherever you like. I liked this board alot. I'd be iterested in seeing one of these is a larger size too, say 170 or 173.

Then, the X-5. I haven't been carving and riding alpine that" long, so I was a little nervous clicking into this thing and heading up the hill with it. Looking at it hanging from my foot on the chair I was intimidated by it's evil, all buisiness look. It, like all Shred's boards, has virtualy no nose, just a broad straight line across the front that taunts you "Anyone who can ride worth a damn doesn't need a nose so quit your whining you punk-ass sissy." When I first started gliding down a flatish green, for an instant, it felt like I had bolted my bindings to a ripping off a 4'x8' of 1/2" plywood. As soon as I got some speed up though, the board came to life, and to my great surprise, it rode like a total kitten. No problem maneuvering around traffic and throwing the thing sideways to scrub speed at blind spots and the like. So on to some open terrain to see this thing do what it's supposed to do. Oh man! It is rediculous!:eek: Big, fast, smooth, all the edge in the world and you can do whatever you like on it with ease. Total coffe and doughnuts ride. Even breaks the tail free mid-carve without a huge effort. Ear to ear smile till my cheeks ached! If you get the oportunity to take this board for a spin, make sure you do. On zee X-5 Plankenschtien, you vill cahve three times haader zen ze Austrians and look five times smoozer. Die damen vill svoon for you!:AR15firin

I have found that I have more room on some of my favorite runs than i thought so I was thinking someting like a

182-185 x 22 x 15.5/16.5, a bigger gun that likes to run a bit but can also crank. I like the length becuase it seems to "Magic Carpet" over the crud and groomers ridges we get here in PA.

It may be a year or so b4 I can build again, so I would have other stuff to consider and what better place then Shreds mad scientist lab.

Sounds like Das Plankenschtien is what yer looking for:eplus2:

+1 Plankenschtien = :1luvu:

Hey it was my pleasure letting you guys try the boards and ride to your content.. I like watching other poeple ride them so I can see also whats going on..

The X4 is very quickley becoming my fav east Coast board or just plain ole favorite... problem is they are all so fun to ride... so it depends what kind of runs I have available.. but if I lived out there with you guys ...It would be the X4 simply cause it can do all kinds of nasty and different things and Im able to draw out long carves and short carve and dosn't seem to get nervous at higher speeds..

Und Zie Plankenstein is just fun as hell...:freak3: