Note to New Members ×

Ambassadors for the Sport

shawndoggy

I don't proselytize (i.e. start ranting unsolicited) about how great hardbooting is, but once asked (usually on the chair), I talk it up incessantly. Some times I wonder if I'm just being irritating to my chair-mates.

What's your pitch, and have you ever successfully converted someone as a result of one of these random conversations?

Quick answer- hell yes.

However, they probably were starting to head in that direction anyway- talking to me just helped them get there faster.

I have people asking me about carving when I'm in the liftline constantly- occasionally someone will even compliment me on my riding - they say they notice the difference in speed and style of my turns as they are riding up the chairlift.

Geo

My pitch is my my riding. They see how much damn fun I'm having and they have to come up and talk to me about it. My immediate converts: Son (Brad), Wife (Ann), Daughter (Alaina). Brad and Ann came down to SES with me this year - they are now hooked.

I started the Alberta Carving Club and organized the 3rd annual Nakiska Expression Session this year which saw some new and old carvers attend. I'm try to lend out equipment where possible so that people have a chance to try the sport. I find the most difficult question to answer is: where can I rent some equipment to try it out?

So, next year I plan to approach Nakiska to see if I can provide them with about 10 sets of boots, some boards and some bindings so people can access alpine equipment on the hill. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it to promote the sport.