Note to New Members ×

Park City BC?

zoltan

I'm in Park City for a week next week. I'm well familiar with the gates at the Canyons, but I'm looking for terrain away from the resorts. It would need to be either boot pack or snowshoe accessible.

We have the pass going between SLC and Park City. Is there anything off of that, like in Jackson?

I've already asked in the Teton Gravity forums. :flamethro

Zol: Contact the boys over at hardbooter.com. This is the same time that WTC is taking place. So, you could do BC and carve some trenches with them, too.

Mark

Gracias, heading over there now.

Yes, I could, but I can carve at my local hills at home. What I can't do is riding trees and backcountry.

We have the pass going between SLC and Park City. Is there anything off of that, like in Jackson?

Are you asking if there are backcountry areas on the way between SLC and Park City?

Yes, but not really. I haven't seen too much hiking done in Parley's Canyon. Most of the backcountry opportunities I know about are in the canyons nearer the ski resorts....

Head up Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons for BC. Look at Mill B South, Also canyons surrounding Solitude. You'll see tracks and skier cars along much of the road. Also the space between Brighton and Alta is remarkable. Wolverine, Sunset Peak, Superior etc. Try hiking from the Millicent lift at Brighton or the Summit Lift at Solitide, otherwise, you are hoofing it most of the way.

sj

Riding the backcountry without specific knowledge of the area, or a local guide probably isn't smart. Nor would be being in the backcountry without a shovel, probe, beacon, and the knowledge and practice to use them all. Also, the ability to asccess avalanche risk, and to identify aspects less prone to slide. Not to sound like a d1ck, but if you have to ask about BC access / terrain in Utah, you probably should stay in-bounds.

Maybe I'm making an ass of myself here. Just trying to keep people safe. Riding the BC is a big deal. Here's one example of questionable decision-making out here in Colorado last week.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5658

Be safe out there.

T

Riding the backcountry without specific knowledge of the area, or a local guide probably isn't smart. Nor would be being in the backcountry without a shovel, probe, beacon, and the knowledge and practice to use them all. Also, the ability to asccess avalanche risk, and to identify aspects less prone to slide. Not to sound like a d1ck, but if you have to ask about BC access / terrain in Utah, you probably should stay in-bounds.

Maybe I'm making an ass of myself here. Just trying to keep people safe. Riding the BC is a big deal. Here's one example of questionable decision-making out here in Colorado last week.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5658

Be safe out there.

T

Yeah, you are kind of making as ass of yourself. You make a lot of assumptions about me, which happen to be incorrect. I and my partner are trained; I and my partner have equipment.

Seriously, saying "you shouldn't go if you need to ask" is kind of stupid. I'd rather ask and know, than try to figure it out myself since I'm not in town long enough to make friends with locals, and not everyone has the cash to hire a guide.

We don't need to go miles into the backcountry, and the other places I travel have very nice options which have quick, easy, and close access. I assume Park City does as well.