Note to New Members ×

Need advice on a board.

ohiomoto

I'm 6'3", weigh 225lbs running UPZ RTRs on TD1s. I have a K2 Skinny 167 that I have been riding for years, but I spend most of my time on skis. I can carve the piss out my skis and would like to start pushing my self to do the same on an alpine board. I don't think the Skinny can take it and feel like I need a bigger/stiffer board.

I came across a Hot Blast that is 5-6 years old, but that looks to be in good condition. It is approximately 180cm. Would this be a good board for me to advance my skills on? I'm mainly riding groomers.

What is a fair price for a board like this?

Thanks,

Tim

That one looks interesting. I'm wondering if that's getting a little too big? I guess I should add that my local hill is less than 250 vertical feet. I need something big enough for me, but want to make more than a few turns per run.

Seriously, I have had my board forever, but I'm not all that experienced so I'm just making sure. Also, I was hoping to stay closer to $150 if possible, but I realize that sometimes it's better to spend a little more if the deal is right. (My wife will disagree with that last statement. :) )

... Sometimes the wife has to be put aside !

Try to find something more recent, more advanced on the tech side.

Nidecker (like ursle's link), F2, Donek, Prior's models would all fit you well, and you can probably find something here (For Sale's threads) at a reasonnable price. Even if you don't have too much vertical or base elevation to spare !

Good luck.

regards,

SnowieQC

No date of manufacturing is listed in the post from dhong7, but don't think it's older. The Nidecker is the best choice between both, for what you're looking for (groom carving). I was looking at a Hot Blast not so long ago, and feedback I got (155 lbs, 5'11) was "stay away".

But like I said, don't stop yourself at the Nidecker.

Community forum's search feature is your friend !

regards,

SnowieQC

If your hill is under 300 feet, you may want to consider a slalom board or a tight turning FC or AM board.

I would not recommend the Nidecker GS. I rode the 183 in the late '90's (a couple of years after the one pictured above) and loved it, but I would not want it on a little hill.

The aforementioned brands all have something that fits the bill.

Jack's Madd might be a good fit, but it is awfully short.

An SL board should probably be around 163 for you.