Note to New Members ×

New to the Sport - Need Help!

Vail Nubie

Hi everyone!

I have been riding for 12 years now and I have ALWAYs wanted to Alpine. I bought a board (157 Burton Amp) a while back but I was instantly discouraged by the price of bindings and boots. I was told this is the place to go for help . . .

I want to try alpine boarding. I live in the Vail CO area now. I am a native to Buck Hill MN. (Loved the Buck thread)

Can anyone help point me in the right direction????? Thanks!

Dylan

Hi everyone!

I have been riding for 12 years now and I have ALWAYs wanted to Alpine. I bought a board (157 Burton Amp) a while back but I was instantly discouraged by the price of bindings and boots. I was told this is the place to go for help . . .

I want to try alpine boarding. I live in the Vail CO area now. I am a native to Buck Hill MN. (Loved the Buck thread)

Can anyone help point me in the right direction????? Thanks!

Dylan

Welcome to the dark side.

Please post up some specs and you will have people offering up all kinds of gear at low prices. Frinstance I have some old Burton race plates I would part with for $70. Don't really want to list them right now but....

Also have some Burton megaflex boots in size 29 for $50 that are in CO right now. They need liners but if that is the right size for you they are good boots and worth the investment.

Lots of guys have extra gear kicking around like I do. Just find the right stuff and you are there. Read the FAQ on mondo sizing so you know what you need.

Hardest part is getting good boots second hand. You might try looking at ebay.de because they have a dedicated alpine section. Found a pair of just a few days worn Blax Vectors there for 35 euro ($50 nowadays?), they fit like a glove. But that was a major stroke of luck for me, without trying them on beforehand.

Thanks everyone!! I will definitly follow up on the links and contacts. I am 5' 9", 170 lbs. I wear a size 10.5 shoe and I think a 28.5 ski boot . . . I also enjoy long walks on the beach.

This may sound like a VERY dumb question, but what are the differences between ski boots and Alpine boots?

Thanks again!!!

My Deeluxe boots definitely had more flex in the tongue than my Salomon ski boots do. They also have more adjustability for the ankle cuff cant, but I'm hoping the adjustments I got in Taos last spring help (I haven't gotten out this year so far).

Also, alpine may mean carving but don't think you can't ride hardboots and be more of a freerider. I couldn't adopt a traditional stance and carve because of knee issues but I loved riding hardboots with my duck stance.

the biggest difference you will notice from ski boots to alpine boots is the flex (as mentioned previously). generally (because i am sure there are exceptions) ski boots have more flex side to side and alpine boots have more flex front to back, which helps you get nice and low without killing your ankles in ski boots. for boots measure measure measure your foot!...this is a crucial part of your happiness in riding and going by shoe size doesn't work(or guessing/trying to remember ski boot size)... i think there is a page on BOL somewhere (anyone know where? anyone? anyone?) on how to properly measure, then post the size, you will get people who have something lying around, who haven't bothered to post on FS and will give you a good deal... certainly a good place to start! good luck and welcome aboard!:biggthump

Vail Nubie,

Send me a private message/email. I live out in denver and could meet up with you out in Vail, Breck, or Keystone and we can ride together. Angie is also out in Breck and could possibly help.

Every one here is giving out good advice. You should stop by the bomber store and see what they can do to help. They are so close theres almost no reason why you can't stop by.