Note to New Members ×

got my new UPZ boots today

bobdea

for anyone who wants to know what its like heres some info

as far as fit goes feels on the foot similar to a burton wind with the springs somewhat tight but does not bottom out in the forward flex since the tongue is similar to the AF series Raichles

this boot feels on par with AF 700 with the race tongues but the whole shell seems to be as stiff so I think its going to be a bad ass boot november seems so far away

if you are in the market for a rigid boot this may be it

two thing that seem cheesy are the cant mechanism and some aspects of the liner but over all seems like a great boot

Originally posted by bobdea

for anyone who wants to know what its like heres some info

as far as fit goes feels on the foot similar to a burton wind with the springs somewhat tight but does not bottom out in the forward flex since the tongue is similar to the AF series Raichles

this boot feels on par with AF 700 with the race tongues but the whole shell seems to be as stiff so I think its going to be a bad ass boot november seems so far away

if you are in the market for a rigid boot this may be it

two thing that seem cheesy are the cant mechanism and some aspects of the liner but over all seems like a great boot

Does the boot have a narrow or wide toebox/heelcup? Thanks!

I have had my UPS boots for two seasons, and absolutely love them. The toebox allows for a lot of freedom for your little piggies, and the entire boot seems to be wider in general. The stiffness is great, although a booster strap is a crucial requirement, as the tops of the boots are way too soft. The liners started out good, but they tend to pack down a little faster than the thermoflex liners. The springs and forward lean device seem a little under built to me, but then again i like to beat up my gear more than most people do. Also, the included toe plates are a little too soft, as when it comes time to replace the plates i will need to slot the screw with my dremmel due to the excessive wear on the bottom of the toe piece (from walking... too many trips into the woods for riding enhacement...)

I would rate the UPS boot with 4.647 stars overall.

There is no way that you are going to get them in cold as they need to be heated in the oven. Then with your foot in them, you insert them into the boot. This way they form to your foot and the boot shell all at the same time.

I just put some Thermoflex liners into my new UPZ boots and they were very very difficult to get in there. But if you are careful with the heel and getting past the plastic on the top of bottom shell, it can be done. Just be careful not to bunch stuff up in there. I found them to be much harder to do then the the Raichles.

I think there is a good treatment of how to heat your Thermoflex at home with your oven at the Carvers Almanac. I have used a combination of the instructions from Bomberonline, The Carvers Alamanc and Dave Morgan's site (www.yyzcanuck.com).

But if you are going to a profesional boot fitter then they will get the whole thing together for you so you needn't worry about putting the liners into the shells just yet?

Regards,

->Ben

Guest AlpentalRider

my advice is pay the $25 to get a bootfitter to mold them for you. They will never mess up, overcook your liners, or rip them when inserting them into the boots. And trust me, it's not an easy task to get hot liners in a boot properly by yourself.

Plus if they don't fit just right (i.e. pinching or such) the bootfitter will usually do some packing out, etc for free on the spot to get it as close to perfect as possible.

Guest AlpentalRider

I specifically said getting the liners molded for $25, which is technically different then a full-blown boot fitting which will probably run you close to $100.

Sturtevants in Bellevue does a quality job on both counts and molded my Suzuka's for me. I now have the best fitting boots in my life and the guy was nice enough to do a little pounding out for me while I was there to get the fit just right.