Note to New Members ×

Can we get a SES09 demo review

Bobby Buggs

Hey Evil, Why was it you weren't here again?

In any case.....I rode Bordy's B2 177 (Prior built) This was a metal Stubby nose WCRM with a progressize SC and taper. All I can say is that this board captures Billy's personna well. It took some attention but it rocked.

Coiler AMT Metal 176 This board was more fun than a night in Amsterdam, Rips anyting anywhere, dropped coin on a new one...enough said.

G-force S 176 Carbon construction nice and light. Great edge hold but took some work to transition..I may have just been too tired...... :)

Rider: Me, 4th year on plates, 5th year boarding. Intermidiate'ish skils.

Carving Boards owned: Hooger Tuned 163, Burton Speed 158W, Burton 173 180s, Axis168, RT173GS, Coiler 172 WCC+Superboard+T&L, 172 AM-T (Gen 2?).

Virus 173 EVO Titanium: Good edge hold but a noticably more chatter than my 172AM-T. Waist was skinnier but I didn't notice much as far as quicker transitions (AM-T=21.5 waist).

Donek Blade 170 Med flex: This was an updated model with Sean's metal built in. This was my first try on a EC board. I was able to get it up on edge pretty well but there was some noticable chatter in the uneven stuff. It seemed a little less nimble than the AM-T and noticably slower during edge transitions. I seemed to noodle this thing (I weigh 170lbs) so perhaps I should have tried the stiffer flex? TBH I can get just as low or lower with my AM-T with less chatter, better edge hold, and faster transitions.

Virus 162 SL EVO Titanium: I was trying to find a board in the tent and was thinking about giving the Alpinepunk Metalburner a go or the Gen3 170 AM-T. Frank convinced me to take this one out for a spin. This one here is a real winner folks. I've never ridden a Madd 158 but now I'm very curious to try one. I've never owned a SL board. This thing railed any turn I threw at it and was so much fun. Super quick transitions, virtually chatter proof, and eliptical sidecut meant I could do quick turns of big EC turns. Actually I thought I could EC better on this one than on the 173 or even the Blade.

Other boards I wanted to demo: Coiler Schtubbys, Coiler Monsters, Metalburner, Hardbooter BSquared WCR-M.

All of these boards were outstanding so Im being really nitpicky here. It's hard to get off my AM-T which made me feel really good about my investment in it last season!

Me: 5 years on plates, but never done more than 28 days in a calendar year.

2008/09 Season: 10 days, inc 4 at SES, 5 in Italy and 1 in Switzerland.

Riding Ability: Still very much learning and improving with every day.

This year I demo'd so many boards that Bruce thought I would have worn out the screws on my TD2's (no, they didn't wear out, so props to Fin).

I tried a bunch of Priors which were amazing. I already have the 07/08 metal WCR and the new season batch is just fantastic. Chris has built a bunch of 21cm waist WCR metals and they are really great in chopped up snow. They really hang in there and just feel so comfortable under foot. I almost bought one, they were that good.

I used the Donek Axess for a run at the end of a day and it was a really easy and fun ride, very forgiving on tired legs. Good, solid, reliable. Exactly what I expected, exactly what I got.

I got on the Virus Scalpel 180 and had a blast. Normally Frank's boards kick my butt all the way back to the demo tent, but when I gave it some, it gave right back and was so much fun to hook into turns and know that the board would really stick. My only issue was that 180 was too long for me, but I didn't get a chance to try the 170 that was floating around because it was never in the tent (which probably indicates that lots of other people were enjoying it).

I rode the Alpine Punk Metal Burner 182 on the last day. I have only ever ridden a board over 180 once and that was fun but too much board for me. Mats convinced me that his board would be different. He set it up, towards the front which I was skeptical about, but he told me it would ride like a smaller board and be really surfy. I couldn't believe how much the tail flexed and the board gripped, especially in heel side turns. I was having trouble with that side until I rode this board. Amazing, and just incredible fun to ride. Unfortunately I had to swap it out because someone else wanted to try, but I snuck a second demo later in the day and it was as good as the first. So good that I convinced my wife to let me buy it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to ride the B Squared or the Coiler Stubby because they were constantly out of the tent. Hardly surprising though...

All in all, some great boards.