Note to New Members ×

Help Me Find My Next Board

utahcarver

Like many of you, I'm over the initial and rudimentary phases of learning how to carve a snowboard and I've moved on to enjoying an eternal intermediate level this season. In addition, I'm now experiencing a breakthrough season using the information gleaned from BOL articles, watching videos of BOL members, laughing at the trash talk and banter amongst us, and my own on-hill experiences. I'm a solid powder rider in soft and hardboots. I'm just now comfortable with carving early-morning groomers and icy conditions (icy for the mountain west). My friend Skully would be impressed with my progression the past few weeks. I'm being chased down by skiers when I ride. They want to find out where they can get set-ups like mine. Sorry, boarders never chase me down.

I'm approaching 50, male, 225 lbs. (think: Peter Griffin, Family Guy), and I skateboard parks and vert in the summer. I currently ride a Tanker 200, PureCarve Maverick 175, Burton UP 162, and a Wasatch Mojo 181. As you can see, my quiver is dated. I use TD2's, Raichle 413's (BTS blue springs) and 123's (BTS yellow springs). My soft set-up is the old Rossignol SIS (Emery) system so that I can put my rear boot in on the fly. For the TD2's, I use a toe bail on the front and an Intec on the rear. That's it.

I've put time on a Prior ATV 162 at WTC '07 and a Donek Axis at WTC '06.

My Tanker is a great board but has it's limits at my home hill. If I could open it up more I'd like the 200 length for a new board. However, the Maverick 175, though dated, is like a whip and snap compared to the Tanker. Both boards sport an 11-something SCR, the Maverick is torsionally stiffer while the Tanker feels less stiffer overall. The Maverick has lost it's camber and I have to hop-jump between turns at times. The point:

I'm looking for a board that has:

1: An 11m SCR

2: Between 172 and 190cm in length

3: Very stiff flex pattern (again: Peter Griffin)

4: 24cm or greater waist (keeps the angles low if needed)

5: Budget: $700 USD max

Is there a board out there that meets these criteria? Axxess? ATV? The Prior boards feel like they have more dampening and stability while the Doneks feel more lively and have more pop. Is this a custom build? Oh, and no base burn in the p-tex. I'm having a hard time keeping the Tanker waxed on the edges, base burn must go.

Thanks,

Mark

Sell off the 162 UP, it is way too small for you :AR15firin

That Mav is a sweet board to hang onto: ride occasionally, hang on the wall or sell to me :1luvu:

As far as new boards are concerned, a good friend of mine is riding a custom Coiler All Mountain - Metal (rounded tail) and that board carves as good or better than a Free Carve board (square tail). Metal is more expensive and at your weight it might not be needed.

+1 for talking to Bruce at Coiler,

Hugh

Hotbeans: My main use for this new ride are blue groomers, with some powder days and trees in the mix just for fun. I have my swallowtails for the deep stuff.

Hugh: Uhmmm, yeah. I figured that out a few weeks ago when I went a$$ over teakettle on the UP while waiting for the Tanker to be waxed.

Tex: Several years ago I looked at the Delrossi 180 Freeride specs and I my ability didn't match the numbers. Now, I will certainly consider the Donek again.

Pat: I keep hearing Coiler in the responses. The Coiler AM sure has the specs for what I'm looking for. Plus, the Coiler topsheets are fantabulous lately. But, it's over budget. I could work some overtime this spring or sell the UP and that would make the difference for the Coiler AM.

Mark

My gut tells me to buy a Prior ATV 171 or the Donek Delrossi 180. But the Coiler AM 177 looks good, too. Both Prior and Donek are within my budget.

Jack,

This...Monster, you speak of. I couldn't find the specs after a quick search. Is it a new Coiler product?

Wow. I'm intrigued by the Coiler admonitions. Must look, don't sleep, keep typing....

I forgot to mention that I have a 192 Tanker still in plastic. But, looking forward, I'm almost certain that the boards I want to ride in the future are going to need to have a stiffer flex pattern and not as wide as the 200 and 192 Tankers.

Mark

You said you wanted a stiffer board, but you're thinking about getting the Prior ATV. I thought the ATV was on the softer side of the stiffness spectrum.

Here's the specs in the Coiler Monster:

See Post #28

Monster and Mini Monster

188 x 23 x 15/16m

182 x 22 x 15/16m

See, that's what I'm talking about. I need you smart-types to help me find what I'm looking for. I didn't realize that the ATV was softer. Okay, so what about a Donek Axxess? In comparison to the Coiler Monster or Classic, how does the Axxess measure up? On Doneks' scale, the Freeride Delrossi 180 is an 8.7 stiffness while the Axxess 182 is a 7.8. Would the Coilers be more or less stiffer than these two Doneks?

As far as a larger SCR, I'm sure that I could turn it. I'm very comfortable with the 11.2m sidecut of the Maverick 175 and I know I'd like repeat that SCR and flex pattern with a new ride.

Thanks, guys.

Mark

Yeah the ATV is definitely softer, and at your weight it will be too soft, especially if you find a 192 tanker soft. 192 tanker is stiff for me in softies, gonna try it in hardboots this wednesday.

I'm riding a 161 ATV and find it a bit soft for hardboots (i only weigh 145 w/o gear). It's perfect with softboots. I figure a 171 in hardboots will be great for me.

For you, you'd definitely have to get a custom build and ask for some extra layers of glass to get it stiffened up.

See, that's what I'm talking about. I need you smart-types to help me find what I'm looking for. I didn't realize that the ATV was softer. Okay, so what about a Donek Axxess? In comparison to the Coiler Monster or Classic, how does the Axxess measure up? On Doneks' scale, the Freeride Delrossi 180 is an 8.7 stiffness while the Axxess 182 is a 7.8. Would the Coilers be more or less stiffer than these two Doneks?

As far as a larger SCR, I'm sure that I could turn it. I'm very comfortable with the 11.2m sidecut of the Maverick 175 and I know I'd like repeat that SCR and flex pattern with a new ride.

Thanks, guys.

Mark

The Donek Axxess, Prior 4WD, and Coiler All-Mtn are all comparable. I think the Axxess is a bit stiffer. However all those boards turn me off as I think their sidecuts are too short. I demo'd a 174 and it just wasn't my bag, baby. Forget 11.2m. You haven't lived until you feel the smooth, fast, planted ride of a 14-16 meter sidecut.

Check out Shred's unveiling of his topless Monster here. You could put a topsheet on that bad boy if you don't like the look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=15138&stc=1&d=1232153488

Thanks, guys.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have a 182 Coiler Mini Monster, same specs as above. I am 5'10" & 170.What makes the Monster unique is the softer flex and a decambered nose. I let Bruce build what he interprets in my order so I don't know many details on construction. The MM has a softer flex than my Metal 177 AM and still seems stiffer than a 183 Metal Prior WCR I demoed. That freaked me out until I got a few runs under my belt. Carve initiation is more subtle than any board I've carved on, then it engages from gradual to hard without blowing out the nose or tail. And it likes to bomb without chatter. I have crushed the nose into soft groom conditions heelside without incident. I'll take the Mini Monster to Utah next year. It eats up groom with a soft base, but will handle icey cord like an old friend.

Hope that helps.

Hi Mark,

I have a 182 Coiler Mini Monster, same specs as above. I am 5'10" & 170.What makes the Monster unique is the softer flex and a decambered nose. I let Bruce build what he interprets in my order so I don't know many details on construction. The MM has a softer flex than my Metal 177 AM and still seems stiffer than a 183 Metal Prior WCR I demoed. That freaked me out until I got a few runs under my belt. Carve initiation is more subtle than any board I've carved on, then it engages from gradual to hard without blowing out the nose or tail. And it likes to bomb without chatter. I have crushed the nose into soft groom conditions heelside without incident. I'll take the Mini Monster to Utah next year. It eats up groom with a soft base, but will handle icey cord like an old friend.

Hope that helps.

I neglected to mention that my 177 AM has a 14m scr, and the MM can carve like a 13m scr at will. Both boards kick a$$.

I need some more money

+1 for Bruce.

I just got my custom build, a 177 RC/Stubby Mutt for my weight at 215 and aggressive rider, but this board has allowed me to relax and still angulate just as far. almost like cheating.

See here,

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24343

I can say that this build can handle everything, slop, ice, groomer ridges, piles, boilerplate and even the VSCR 13.2 front 14.2 out the back, I can still turn very very tight, almost slalom board like (9-10.5 SCR) if I please.

But this talk about the Monsta's now has me itchy for a new build again. I'd love to see what it like to ride such a large SCR and I like what Jim says about turn initiation.

The Coiler Metals just simply are head shakers. I also had a Donek Axxess, which was a nice board, but nothing like the Metal Coilers.

Good luck Utah and if your looking for a custom topsheet , check out Steve Fleck from here.

I love my Monster. Super confident edge. Chews up end of the day bumps and soft snow. Turns big or small. I tend to turn hard to check my speed - often riding with the family. The monster loves steep blues. My current favorite!!!!!!

Bruce is FANTASTIC to work with!!!! He will build what you need. Very honest - he discounted another board I bought because there was some flaw in the topsheet (I still can't find it - he offered to build a new one) With CDN$ you may be close depending on exchange. It is worth the money. I've spent far more on other boards that aren't nearly as well made or as much fun.

another vote for coiler.

I'm at the point where I go, hey Bruce. I want a board 20 CM wide and wants to make smallish turns and he sends me a stubby with a tighter SCR which became my go to board

He hits the flex spot on, as well as has a way of figuring out what you as the rider need to make things happen if you just give him pretty direct and accurate accounts of how you ride and what you want to do with the board.

He's friggin' good.

BTW, with metal boards they feel narrower than they are for some reason....

Well, I've read all the great responses. Sounds like I need to reconsider my emphasis on a 11m SCR and start talking to Coiler (Bruce Varsava). Like I said, my budget is $700 USD. But, if I sell the UP 162, I could afford the one of the Coilers.

I won't make a decision until about mid to late April. So, I have plenty of time to take all your advice into consideration. I'm wanting to add a custom topsheet. I have the basic idea already. What's that going to add to the cost of the board? $125 USD or more?

Anyone have input on the Donek Freeride Delrossi 180?

Okay. Let me think about this for awhile. I'm headed out for a powder day in the morning and all this new board talk has me amped. Must control emotions and remain awkwardly calm. This is like when my wife and I bought our first house but without my mother-in-law screeching in the background.

Mark

Of the shelf, under 700$, 11.5 scr, 24.5 waist, stiffer flex (for a freeride board), carves like a demon, yet rides pow and bumps with ease: Steepwater Steep 172.

I don't quite understand your statement about stiff flex though, as all of your boards are soft to medium flex...

Monsters are very well received! Had a lot of riders testing the 20 wides at SES as I had a 182 and 185, All I have to say is there were a few people waiting to buy each of them at the end of the session! Really was a good test to verify stiffness of these per given weight as I needed others feedback to confirm findings and get more data.

My fav was the 182 x 20 x 14/15m. Quite versatile and just long enough to smooth out the ride nicely. The flex is super user friendly and some take a few runs to get used to it as it is a bit different than the norm. When you stomp on it in softer snow you will get more flex near your rear foot which is super safe and dumps speed nicely. If you want to pop out of turns, just ride it centered and it will respond. Both the ones out there had the new " west coast lamination" approx 30% less rubber for more response without any noticeable loss of dampening . I did not tell anyone this and waited for response but no one noticed and even testing back to back against full damp models it is barely to not noticeable on hardpack and still seems to add just a bit more liveliness.

BV

Of the shelf, under 700$, 11.5 scr, 24.5 waist, stiffer flex (for a freeride board), carves like a demon, yet rides pow and bumps with ease: Steepwater Steep 172.

I don't quite understand your statement about stiff flex though, as all of your boards are soft to medium flex...

Sorry, Blue. My interest about board stiffness is to determine which boards will support my riding. As my prowess has increased, I've wanted to have more stiffness in the boards that I ride. The Maverick, though soft compared to modern alpine decks is my baseline. I'm hoping to find a board that has more stiffness to complement my riding skills. As Jack pointed out above, I should also consider a larger SCR. I'm hoping to find a very stable and turnable ride in one board.

Thanks.

Mark

• 1 month later...

OK, Bomber has their spring sale going on and I noticed that the Axxess 177 and 182 have most of the things I'm looking for; as well as the FC 185. My question is which board should I get? The Axxess or the FC?

I'm leaning toward the FC due to the 12.5 SCR and 9+ stiffness rating. But, the Axxess would be more of a all-conditions board. Anyone with experience on both? I'd like to make my decision quickly to save the $150 bucks off of a new Donek price.

Thanks,

Mark