Note to New Members ×

more board ?'s from a newbie

ncapriot

I am a newbie to the site and would first like to say thank you to all of the great feedback that I have recieved thus far...I also subscribe to a vintage triumph motorcycle discussion group and it is like night and day between the two....

Am I correct in assuming that pretty much any board can be ridden with plates? I started getting into the whole hardboot thing during my last year of riding and I really loved it. I was no expert, but was definitely a competent carver. I am heading to snowbird and must admit that I am freking out a bit about riding in deeper snow on my current ride, which is a very old Rossi Accelerator..it is in mint condition, plenty of camber, etc, but I have never ridden it in deep snow. I also have a lib tech pacifier that is pretty stiff and 163 in length. Am I foolish to think that I will be able to ride this board in powder with hard boots? I am nervous that I the shear weight difference between hard and soft boots might make me submarine or sink. I am also concerned that I might damage the board if I really try to lay down some carves on groomers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..even if it is to tell me to "just do it" and stop being such a cry baby..

I've never ridden either of those boards so can't speak to their on or off piste performance, but just wanted to note on the "sheer weight" issue that the weight difference between you, your hardboots, your plates and your board, is probably minimal in relation to softies. You have to think that going through pow YOU are by far the heaviest component!

I also have a lib tech pacifier that is pretty stiff and 163 in length. Am I foolish to think that I will be able to ride this board in powder with hard boots?

Agreed that the additional weight of the boots/plates won't be an issue.

I don't know that specific board, but I've been using plates on a couple of freeride boards about that length for 4 or 5 seasons and haven't had any problems. There's a pretty big chunk of members here who will make unflattering comparisons between plates in powder and adult activities through a latex barrier, but whatever. Easier to put plates on a freeride board than carry two sets of boots when you travel.

and if memory serves it was a relatively soft board. Don't remember the specs but not to narrow, it might be a bit unruly in powder, but I'd try it just for the fun of it!:biggthump Don't think you'll run any risk of breaking it, not unless you abuse it or hit something. Try staying back on the tail a bit in the pow so the nose wont submarine on you. +1 on bringing both set-ups, I'm an equipment whore when I board so the more the merrier! Have fun!

post-857-141842274659_thumb.jpg

Am I correct in assuming that pretty much any board can be ridden with plates? - although some would argue that is correct

I started getting into the whole hardboot thing during my last year of riding and I really loved it. Follow your love

I was no expert, but was definitely a competent carver. I am heading to snowbird and must admit that I am freking out a bit about riding in deeper snow on my current ride, which is a very old Rossi Accelerator..it is in mint condition, plenty of camber, etc, but I have never ridden it in deep snow. I also have a lib tech pacifier that is pretty stiff and 163 in length. Am I foolish to think that I will be able to ride this board in powder with hard boots? - Don't know much about lib tech but every board that I have seen of theirs I would call "not stiff". As far as the Rossi, if it is similar to the board pic posted below ( thought that was a throttle with the red sheet ) it will be more blue and a bit softer. But this is not what I would be riding on in Snowbird if it was me.

I am nervous that I the shear weight difference between hard and soft boots might make me submarine or sink. I am also concerned that I might damage the board if I really try to lay down some carves on groomers. It won't sink from weight but the nose not flexing up will make it seem like it is. Rossis are not expensive used so I would see if I could break it, unless you are talking about the Lib. If so I would be wary of the torsional flex you will get when you try to set an edge. If will kind of go, wubba, wubba, wubba as you are thinking to yourself woah, woah, woah.

Any input would be greatly appreciated..even if it is to tell me to "just do it" and stop being such a cry baby..

Without knowing weight and foot size it is a little more of a crap shoot, but it sounds like you need a good all mtn carver. That means something with a bit of a nose, torsional stiffness but not too stiff tip to tail, decent sidecut for carving and maybe a bit longer than what you have been riding.

This is a skier pic from the Bird two days ago. They been getting it.

If the conditions are like this I would want to have the right gear and being a big guy, for me it would not be a 163 soft boot board.

Have you thought about demoing something from Hardbooter?

Just a thought. And welcome.

post-805-141842274682_thumb.jpg