Note to New Members ×

First time gear buyer

gearhunt

My son is 14, weighs 130 and is abount 5'9". He has been racing well on his Ride Concept, and his coaches have suggested alpine equipment. He does both S and GS.

I have done a little research, but as you all know access to information and gear is a little tough. I don't know much.

I would really appreciate some guidence. Here is what I know so far.

I could go to ChrisKlug.com and get an older new Burton board for $299, but the bindings may be hard to find (although I did see a few on this site that I think would be fine).

Or I could get a new Donek Pilot with bindings. It's a little more expensive, but the resale would be OK after he grows more. The graphics are a little juvenile; I don't know if that means the board is of lower quality. I doubt it, just want to check.

Or I can just look for used stuff here.

One imortant question has to do with size. He rides a 156 now. Someone very nice and knowledgeable suggested a 168. It seems like a big increase to me, especially for a slalom course. I am just asking for more opinions.

Also, his next races are in April, and I am estimating he will have about 5 days on this board. Is that enough time to get comfortable enough to use in races?

Not into racing but I would think it would be best to get a board that is designed for the type of riding he'll be doing (SL/GS) and flex for his weight range. Probably go with a SL board as it would be real hard to do SL on a GS board. Flex for weight, Sidecut radius, and effective edge are probably the most important factors for picking out a board. I might be wrong, but that would be the criteria that I would use for picking out a board.

Thought about it for awhile. It just depends how much you want to spend. He'll probably pack on a bit of beef in the next few years. Right now he's in a weight range that is below the 170cm board size. If you bought him a 167 now, it's too much board for his weight, but in two years, he should be in the ballpark.

If you only want to buy one board, shortterm I would recommend something just over 160cm, with a waist width about 195mm. That will suffice for both diciplines (SL / GS).

Ibex race plates are available in the BOL store connected to this forum. They are the best bang for the buck binding on the planet. If you are price resistant to the brand new ones just look for a set of used burton race plates. If you go this route, make sure you get "race plates" not "carriers", the carriers have more plastic and are too flexible. The other very good thing about burton / ibex plates, they will fit ANY board (except very old insert patterns) that you buy in the coming years.

In reality you'll probably end up having to buy a several boards over the next few years. One thing to remember as well, keep the boards tuned well and edges sharp with a proper diamond stone guide. You're better off on a board that's not quite the right kind of board, but has a very good tune, than a perfectly suited board with a poor tune (dull edges).

later,

Dave R.

My son is 14, weighs 130 and is abount 5'9". He has been racing well on his Ride Concept, and his coaches have suggested alpine equipment. He does both S and GS.

I have done a little research, but as you all know access to information and gear is a little tough. I don't know much.

I would really appreciate some guidence. Here is what I know so far.

I could go to ChrisKlug.com and get an older new Burton board for $299, but the bindings may be hard to find (although I did see a few on this site that I think would be fine).

Or I could get a new Donek Pilot with bindings. It's a little more expensive, but the resale would be OK after he grows more. The graphics are a little juvenile; I don't know if that means the board is of lower quality. I doubt it, just want to check.

Or I can just look for used stuff here.

One imortant question has to do with size. He rides a 156 now. Someone very nice and knowledgeable suggested a 168. It seems like a big increase to me, especially for a slalom course. I am just asking for more opinions.

Also, his next races are in April, and I am estimating he will have about 5 days on this board. Is that enough time to get comfortable enough to use in races?

hey there, if he's serious don't mess around and start right.

Kessler is the probably best but comes in at about 1400 US

SG is next and cheaper but still not that much cheaper.

A top female rider(alexaloo) was selling a couple boards in the classifieds, for like 700 a kessler and SG. those would probably fit the bill.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24431 that's a SL deck

If you want new but not spend 1400, the best bang for your buck is Coiler. custom flex is included in the price and Bruce is a stand up guy that makes some of the best boards out there.

Right now everyone is riding boards with metal laminates, I'd not get anything without it. Also, the newer race shapes are different than older stuff so I'd get a board from the last couple years.

also, get to the next GS or SL race in the east, talk with people get opinions.

there's a couple parents of youngsters here you could talk to. Oldkey is one of them. He'd be totally cool to email.

also, post in the racing section I think some of the more race oriented people check there more than this forum.

If he is enjoying racing, I would recommend the Donek over the new-old-stock Burton. If he's still just testing the waters, the Burton will suffice. If he is leaping out of bed at 5am to go racing and is serious about standing on the podium, then you want to look into a metal board. Prior would have the best offering that is readily available. 168-ish would be good for GS, for SL look around 158-163.

There is some info in the links below that might help you. Good luck!