Note to New Members ×

no heelside @ all?

caspercarver

i have been riding my new metal snowboard. 163cm. heelside turns have always been my strong point until now. i cannot do a fully laid out heelside turn to save my life on this board. everything else is incredible, edge hold, stability, pop...but the second my body hits the snow, my edge is gone and i can't get it back. on all my other boards even if i lost edge contact, i could get it back at some point. not on this board. user error i am sure but i don't have a clue what i am doing wrong. toeside on this board is incredible, fully laid out as long as i want. my setup is 65 degrees front/60 rear. i am using the "gilmore bias". front boot is straight and rear boot is leaned as far forward as possible. stance is 16.5 inches and i am 5'10 tall. where do i start? any ideas?

post-3662-141842274586_thumb.jpg

what i do on all my boards is rear foot is as close to edge as possible with no overhang. and then front foot is 5 degrees more. it is weird because the prior metal 173cm. i broke a few weeks ago, i had heelside laid out turns on the very first run. toeside was the issue with that board. so far the only changes i have made have been to the forward lean on the rear boot. i tried less and less forward lean and still no edge hold on fully laid out turns. up to laid out turns, edge hold is as good as i have ever had. :confused:

agreed, go back to a boot/binding setup that worked for you and go from there.

However in any case I'd say 16.5" is waaaay too narrow.

Also, which Prior is that? If the radius is significantly longer than your previous board, you're probably trying to tilt the board up too high too quickly with not enough speed. Too much boot forward lean can be part of that problem.

However in any case I'd say 16.5" is waaaay too narrow.

:eek::eek: wow, that is VERY narrow. I'm 5'11 and ride 20.5.

Your stance could be part of your problem, I bet your rear knee bangs up against the back of your front leg all the time. I use to get bruises back when I ran my old school narrow stance at 18.5.

i wish i know which prior this is. i just received it last week. i emailed prior about whether this board is the "new board" they are advertising now. i have not got an answer yet. this board does not match the stats of either the old or the new? i have always ridden a very narrow stance and have always liked it. when i got my Swoard last year, i tried riding the board the way they recommend and i just could not get comfortable with it (low angles and wide stance) reccently i changed back to the way i would normally ride and now i can do laid out turns heel/toeside, no problem. i can do laid out turns on my antique f2 beamer 160cm., toe and heel. that is why i find this so confusing?

It's not the B<sup>2</sup>. Well anyway, I would say relax the boot fwd lean on the rear boot and go back to a setup you're used to before you judge the board.

However you said it yourself, it's user error, and I agree. This is a modern board built for modern technique. Narrow stances fell out of favor a good ~15 years ago. You'll probably have to take a step back before you can step forward again. Get some heel lift on the back foot, toe lift on the front foot, widen the stance, and head back to the greens and blues to get this sorted out. Don't worry, it will be fun. Ride with someone who's got it going on. At 5'10" with toe/heel lift you should be at 19" minimum.

He stated it was a metal 163... which is a 10m sidecut board. I personallly find that on tighter sidecuts like that, with the exception of Madd 158's, I can't get laid out because the board simply comes around too quickly.

Oh, strange, I missed that. I would agree it's harder to lay out on a 10m board for that reason. It can be done, but you have to bring your A-game and be super aggressive.

i will be going out tomorrow, it is supposed to be sunny and conditions should be good. i will try a wider stance. thanks for the input.

If you only have flat bindings, you probably won't like going all the way to 19+". I like 3 degree cant disks front and rear. I'm 5'11" and I ride 19.5". The default starting setup should be pure toe lift on the front foot and pure heel lift on the back foot. A lot of people actually ride with a little outward cant too.

but on my beamer which has a sidecut of 8.5/9.5 i can do laid out turns, very quick, yes. the F2 beamer is very flexible and the prior is not by comparison. i wonder if the board needs a break-in period and will get softer after sometime?

Interesting - this would imply that your Prior is a custom flex or they have drastically changed the flex pattern on their metal boards. I had a 177 from a couple years ago, and it had been stiffened to 190 pounds, and it was still as soft as all get out in the middle and even softer on the ends.

Is this the new 163 wide model? If so, it could be stiffer then 163 narrow, as Prior used to leave the core profile the same, which results in stiffer board. At least that was the case with a 183x21 that he had kicking around the shop for a while, and with Dave's 177x23 which is waaay stiffer then Roy's 177x19.5. The 173x19.5 I've got, and a 183x19.5 I've test-ridden are noodles (in a good way). All of the boards mentioned were the older metal top version.

A short stiff board is a bitch to EC, as you don't have much leverage over the short ends. Combined with tight SCR it would result in very dificult heel sides, where you don't have the fine adjustment from the ankles.

As for the stance width, I would go with what feels good for you. Wider always makes the board feel stiffer, at least for me. I ride 19.25 at 6' 180lbs 32" inseam.

I guess inseam and hips width are more important then o/a height of the person.

I tried a new Prior 169 metal board last week and it is considerably stiffer than last years board. Both boards are Chris H.'s boards and both were built to his weight specs. The new one rides very well, great edge hold and so easy to ride. It's my first experience with a metal board and now I understand what everyone likes so much about them.

Length (cm) 163

Effective Edge (cm) 145

Nose Length (cm) 21

Tail Length (cm) 6

Nose Width (cm) 24.6

Tail Width (cm) 24.2

Waist (cm) 19.5

Radius (m) 10

Taper (mm) 4

Insert Setbacks (cm) 2.5

Stance (in) 17"-22"

Those dimensions of yours are way out - a prototype?