Note to New Members ×

Freestyle board stiffness... (if there is such a thing)

bonestock

Of course the 1996 Balance 56 is not a race board. Of course the 1997 Balance 56 is not a race board. An All-Around board can be used for going down the hill and carve, leaving somewhat of a trace in the snow...

Nonetheless, I owned both of these boards and IMO there was a difference in stiffness between the two. The 1996 edition was way stiffer than the 1997 (again, IMO). Since I took back to Burton the 1996 to get the 1997 because it delaminated, I was not able to compare the two board on the snow, back to back on the same day.

Now, when I rode the 1997, the front of the board just bent like a noodle and... well, it's just not fun anymore. The 1996 version had better grip on ice. I used the same bindings (X-base, still have them, they broke twice, had them fixed by a friend that works with Carbon Fiber) with the same boots.

The 1996 was made in Austria (If I am not mistaken), the 1997 in Vermont .

I do know that boards are not all made equals :D

Now, the question is :

Is it possible that there is a huge difference in stiffness and response from a board between two years of production lines?

I do know that boards are not all made equals :D

Now, the question is :

Is it possible that there is a huge difference in stiffness and response from a board between two years of production lines?

Yes.

There can be a difference in boards in the same model, same production years. This is the same in any production setting. You will get "Wednesday" boards and "Monday" / "Friday" boards. The theory being that the workers in the factory are recovering from the weekends' partying on Monday / Tuesday, are running / thinking normally by Wednesday, then starting to think about the coming weekends' partying on Thursday / Friday. This only leaves Wednesday when you get the best quality of product.

Is this stretching the truth?, or is there some basis in fact. I don't know, and you (and anyone else reading this) can decide for yourself.

The exception to this is our favorite small board building companies. Bruce (Coiler) has said thay he rides every board he makes to ensure that it meets his standards, and meets the customers' expectations. I'm pretty sure Sean (Donek) and Chris (Prior) try to do this too (if they have the time).

later,

Dave R.