Note to New Members ×

Front Leg burn

NLS

Dear Bombers,

This weekend was my first time hardboot experience. I tried a second hand set on a indoor track last week, and immediately found it was a perfect addition to freeriding, when there are no fresh tracks. Unfortunately, the board I got was heavily damaged, and my epoxy repair didn't do the job. Even indoors I found the snowpro's that were on it failing already, and I didn't want to risk anything on a 'real' slope. So I got myself a 170 Goltes Pro Race Carbon with Titanal XR plates.

I managed to lay some serious trenches, but after a short time, I got tremendous burn in my upper front leg, especially the 'outside' of my quads. The bindings come with approx. 6* of heel lift at the back, with a bit of inward cant as well, front binding is flat. In theory that can't be changed, but I have the facilities and skills for milling toe and heel blocks, so I can custom make my own.

I figured what I need to achieve a more balanced pressure distribution is toe lift up front, heel lift at the back, and no inward cant. I felt like the backside turn could use more pressure at the tail at the end of the turn as well.

My stance is 20.5"/52cm, I'm 6'0/182 tall. Angles were at approx. 55/50, but planning on increasing that to 60/60 due to boot-out.

Any thoughts on this, to prevent this front leg burn? My physical condition is fine, I've had plenty of effortless days carving softies, do ice-skating and currently training for 100km rowing regatta.

Thanks in advance!

Without seeing you carve, it's really hard to tell why you might be experiencing assymetrical leg burn.

One possibility might be that your stance is too wide apart, or that you might need some upward canting on your front binding...

However, it might just also be because of the different stresses put on your legs because of the bio-mechanics of a carved turn on a skinny alpine board.

George

+1 on the toe lift front binding.

I also get this burn when I am tired and starting to get straight legged. Bend your knees get lower in your stance and remember you are using totally different muscle patterns with the higher angles. you will have to get in shape again.:biggthump

++ on the front toe lift.

For me straighter legs = less quad burn, as the pressure is taken by the skelleton rather then constantly strained muscles.

Stance might be too wide, unless your inseam is close to 34. Some people can ride very wide stances, though.

Thanks for replying this fast!

I actually ride the softies at pretty high angles as well; 45/39 as my freeride board is pretty narrow for my bootsize and accustomed to ride waves & wind, I like the surfy feel. The carving is not that much different I think, stance is with 54cm/21.25 even a bit bigger.

I think I'll give 6* toe lift up front and 6* heel lift at the back at try, and go from there. It always possible to decrease these angles later on.

Edit - As for the stance, this was the motivation; http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_setup.html#width

I figured I'd benefit from it...

LOL, I can tell you that HEEL lift on the FRONT foot is not the answer! I pulled that bonehead move this weekend and thought I was going to die either because I couldn't throw it into a heelside or because my front leg was ON FIRE. Turned the TD2 cant plate around at the bottom and had a great rest of the day.

I think I'll give 6* toe lift up front and 6* heel lift at the back at try, and go from there. It always possible to decrease these angles later on.

quote]

I would give yourself the option of 3* toe lift up front as well, esecially if you're going through the trouble of milling blocks for yourself. Try increasing in increments to have something to compare to.