Note to New Members ×

Ice board for narrow trails - Coiler or Madd 158?

Corey

A question to add to this thread -

Does metal still give you the magic on a shorter length and/or sidecut board?

I don't see why not. Bruce has said that the metal by itself isn't what makes the boards damp....

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=214343&postcount=54

and

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=214591&postcount=79

A question to add to this thread -

Does metal still give you the magic on a shorter length and/or sidecut board?

My theory... which could totally be wrong... a short, turny metal board would blow away the Madd 158 as long as it has the right flex pattern... which would involve a stiffer nose and softer mid-section. Yeah, kinda like a Madd 158.

My theory... which could totally be wrong... a short, turny metal board would blow away the Madd 158 as long as it has the right flex pattern... which would involve a stiffer nose and softer mid-section. Yeah, kinda like a Madd 158.

next, stub?

the x6, schMaddy?

The 158 is a good way not to get hurt on an icy day. I have 2 originals..and the original 158 has more edge hold than the newer 158's and newer 170's.

I have looked for trails that were too narrow and steep for the 158. Gandalf lift at Haystack is a good super narrow one- but still possible to link carves on...Master magician as Magic mountain is another double fall line narrow icy trail... but still carveable. but I think they closed that one. The front four at Stowe are a cake walk for the 158.

I agree on this one -- Fin's original was the only one I tried, and I'm completely blown away. However, I'll settle for my current Madd 158 (with "The Pimp" as my signature).

Hey Gilmour, are you still in Aspen area? Hope to see you at SES ? I'll be only there for one day, and most likely will be hanging out with Garrow.

next, stub?

the x6, schMaddy?

Well if you guys were on the ball you would be checking out Mr Gruumers last 2 boards and making a few educated guesses.

Lets see, the X4 had a multi 10/13/10.5m sidecut, Hmmmm kinda like the 158 Madd 7/11/9m

Lets see, the X5 kinda had glued on mini butterfly plates, Hmmmmm, kinda like a glued on Madd butterfly plate.

Can you guess this may be the base testing for the ANGRRY 162 and 170:eek:

The Gruumer dude is still 2 years ahead of y'all

No protos yet but the design work is in the pot stewing away nicely

BV

I flexed one of Bruce's newer boards the other day.. I am sure he has a Metal in his quiver close to the same length and weight that can beat a 158 in terms of grip.

Probably in fun factor too- though I am very used to my 158 and forcing it do do stuff it was never intended to with odd little tricks like a double handed heelside to do stupid fast GS turns. or dumping both knees to the slope to euro carve when compressed. People that know how to ride the 158's have always impressed me with their riding skills and ability to push it and keep up with boards over 185cm.

It doesn't mean I couldn't do the same rider tricks on Bruce's boards, in fact personally I'd like to own a Coiler- I think his boards have a great mix of dampness and liveliness and the graphics are super cool too. If I had a couple hundred bucks in the bank I'd beg him for a blem.

Also after watching Ray on his Virus...I'd really like to own one of them too. But not a blem of those because the metal top sheets look too insane... I don't think I'll be able to afford one anytime soon unless I sell a 103" panasonic plasma. Hell... who am I kidding?? I can't even afford a new set of Head Stratos hardboots and strolz liners even at pro-form prices.

Years ago.. it was Madd or nothing... not so anymore.. in terms of getting out of a hairball mistake I like shorter boards that have tons of edge hold. But the super narrow virus boards are very light and perhaps you could run a bit longer and still get out of a jam...Vlad Popov... your thoughts.. if you are out there??? You have ridden both the Virus and the 158 extensively- you wouldn't hurt my feelings.. how do they compare.. I'd expect the newer 2008 and onward 14 cm wide virus cyborg and newer to win out over the 158 for people with smaller feet...and the newer Metal Coliers to beat out the 158 for people with bigger feet.

All this talk of high performance CUSTOM snowbaords and in 2009 I am stuck riding stock 2008 Burton Andy Warhol boots (two pairs size 10 and size 9.5), 2007 Union force DLX soft bindings (with three sets of straps and buckles) and two demo 2005 rossignol powder Judge splittail boards for carving.. still life is good. Carving is still fun, and I have a blast at every turn I make.. in fact the schittyness of the set up makes it a little more challenging. But having everything STOCK pushed to the limit means absolutely eveything fails- My first Rossi judge got p-tex cracks and tail stress cracks(which is why I have two- one is likely always being warranteed) , my binding buckles failed and make me eat it at 30mph onto my neck while trying to protect a camera (So I have two sets now) , I packed out my size 10 Burton softboot liners in about 35 days of riding, (So I bought spare set and warranteed the first set)

but it was cheap. $65 for the boots ($130 for both sets) , $150 for last years closeout bindings, $270 for the board shipped ot my door ($540 total for both). And the set up is versatile...like Elle MacPherson you can take her anywhere and be happy- in the ocean- a dinner party- deep pow- and ageless.

Some snowboards are like women... all different rides and you can love them all.

Which reminds me...- Last year Fin challenged me to get Elle MacPherson carving this year at SES 2009... that is the tallest order anyone has ever given me. I don't even think she snowboards. I can't even hope to get cougared because I'm 10 months older than her..drat.

If I manage to get her carving ... I will expect two Virus boards of my choice (Frank are you in?) and two Coilers (Bruce?)- and a 210 Donek and a shorter Split tail. , and a pair of Head Stratos boots (Fin?) .

of course......after I finish delivering all my 360 carve videos. I think you guys have nothing to worry about... I have a better chance of marrying her first and then getting her to carve.

Anyone spotted her in town yet? In case you forgot what she looks like... she's the only woman who could put a bathing suit on backwards and not look silly. Super Models can wear stuff the rest of the world can't.

http://reignoferror.blogspot.com/2007/09/wonderfully-scary.html

- update feb 16 , 2009 ... but this was last friday...

snipped from aspen cougars thread...

OK A.D.D. moment...before I forget to mention this....

- Elle Macpherson....

The challenge from Fin last year was that Elle shows up for SES every year the same time... and for me to get her to carve...

I figure... I'd have to marry her first... not happening...

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24387&highlight=macpherson&page=2

I talk to Ray and Anja who both saw her... and said she came and left already... ( :( )

So I figure ...no chance... But I'm still thinking about meeting ther...though I can't imagine getting her to carve...

So Last day of SES.... its first tracks on Ajax on Friday.... I RUN RUN RUN to make it... but woke up too late.. the gondola just closed... So I figure I''ll wait to watch to see who gets down the hill first... I'm even wondering... "Why am I bothering to wait" While waiting I see Jane Botsford's (super Cute girl ex ford model from highschool) husband and if He wasn't there, I certainly wouldn't stayed. So we chatted for about 10 minutes and it turns out he's really into Alpine snowboarding and he'll probably come out to ride.

So who is first down the hill at first tracks on Friday? (Coiler?...Prior? ...Virus? ) Well of course the ski guides have to lead the way. But the first other person shows up wearing jet set ski pants and I thought to myself, hey doesn't Elle Macpherson wear jet set ski pants? Then I look at her and I say... "Wow, that girl is really tall." And then she starts to talk to the ski instructors and says "I certainly am happy you convinced me to do this this was wonderful." And I thought, well she certainly has a strong Australian accent. And mind you I am terrible at recognizing people have a hard time recognizing all the carvers. So I take a closer look and I thought... yes, this is her...ummm I think. But I still don't want to go bother her because I'm not totally sure. The only person I know who can positively ID her is Ray.

So moments later, I'm thinking "I wish my friend Ray was here" and in an instant the entire virus snowboards carving crew shows up at the bottom of the gondola -- they completely dominated the pack.

And I can see that Ray has noticed her, and without even having to ask Ray at this point I realize it's definitely her.

So I walk up to her and start talking and I asked her "you always see us carving snowboarders every week when you come to Aspen each year would you like to learn? I'll teach you. And I'm pretty good at teaching. You won't get hurt"

She said "no, I don't think I could ever do that" and I said "well, perhaps next year you will change your mind" and walked away. I thought she was one of the most timeless beauties. year after year looking stunning...

At least, I have Ray as my witness that I did try to get her to go snowboarding. Also one of the guys from virus, I forget his name, but he's a really nice tall guy, he got a picture with her.

So in this mission... I have completely and utterly failed.

And in an odd way, ..... not that I ever had snowballs in hell chance... I am glad I offered.. These sort of things are what makes my life seem so unbelievable... but ask Ray.

I agree on this one -- Fin's original was the only one I tried, and I'm completely blown away. However, I'll settle for my current Madd 158 (with "The Pimp" as my signature).

Hey Gilmour, are you still in Aspen area? Hope to see you at SES ? I'll be only there for one day, and most likely will be hanging out with Garrow.

still in Aspen.. whew... but struggling to stay here. Living it up for the meantime. I now have keys to the Fly Lounge and VIP areas I'm their new sound system guy... Maybe I can have a SES party apres ski for you guys there...

Garrow rips... one of my favorite East Coast riders.. he and Sully were sicko on plates.

Well if you guys were on the ball you would be checking out Mr Gruumers last 2 boards and making a few educated guesses.

Lets see, the X4 had a multi 10/13/10.5m sidecut, Hmmmm kinda like the 158 Madd 7/11/9m

Lets see, the X5 kinda had glued on mini butterfly plates, Hmmmmm, kinda like a glued on Madd butterfly plate.

Can you guess this may be the base testing for the ANGRRY 162 and 170:eek:

The Gruumer dude is still 2 years ahead of y'all

No protos yet but the design work is in the pot stewing away nicely

BV

well, next year I'm in for something small that CRANKS. feel free to get creative.

well, next year I'm in for something small that CRANKS. feel free to get creative.

Tested a 162 twincarve with 13.2m, it was a customers board which I saw him ride and could immediately tell it was not well balanced. Gave me a lot of insight into what makes the smaller boards work and that one was definitely lacking in a few categories. I learn a ton more from the bad ones over the good ones so its always a major success to build a bad board as long as you learn from it. Real long and real short boards seem to have their own set of rules and are pretty fussy about having it done right for good all around performance.

Workin on it:biggthump