Note to New Members ×

Its time to Stop

Bobby Buggs

First it was Prior in the 90s. Then at the early ECES's 2 out of every 3 boards was a Donek. Then Madd came roaring back from the dead and seized the buzz. Then Prior came out with the first widely-available metals. Then BV quit his job and went full time, eliminating the 2-year wait list so the gospel of Coiler is spreading. Now Donek has perfected and released their metals...

edit - I'm just talking about North America.

Would anyone actually have “real numbers” of boards sold by such?

Just because at some point every second or third board was of some brand in a small community at some point doesn’t mean their overall numbers of boards sold worldwide is even close to what Burtons or even F2 or other international manufactures have been.

I.e. look at the extremecarving forum, at least every second board is a Swoard, you go to the Frozen-Backside forum, basically all Virus driven, Bomber, well mixed… What matters I think are the real numbers of boards sold worldwide to ensure a manufacture will be around for a long time in my opinion…

But it is sure good to see that more boards of individual shops are being sold. That’s what our sport needs and assures we have equipment at least in the years to come.

Someone once said that hardbooters are like communists they get less by the year but they will never go extinct.

It is interesting however that we get to see new companies pop up every year with alpine gear and if we look at other sports everything tends run in circles. Windsurfing for example started mainly with slalom. Then wave riding was the hype. Lately slalom came back and companies started to develop boards and sails accordingly. People get bored doing one thing and need something new.

The most important thing is that all the manufacturers that are involved with the production of alpine boards are mainly doing it because they love it and not because they can make lots of $$$. And that is what's keeping the sport pure.