Note to New Members ×

Why don't we have a review forum?

MUD

Hey all,

Why don't we have a review forum?????

You could start a thread with a product name, and go from there. People could add as they see fit.

I know it would be tough to moderate, but we could do that ourselves. give us a way to flag posts that are off-topic or what ever and you guys delete them as you see fit.

I think it would be less work and get more hits than a review specific thing like we had in the past.

What do you think?

Hey all,

Why don't we have a review forum?????

You could start a thread with a product name, and go from there. People could add as they see fit.

I know it would be tough to moderate, but we could do that ourselves. give us a way to flag posts that are off-topic or what ever and you guys delete them as you see fit.

I think it would be less work and get more hits than a review specific thing like we had in the past.

What do you think?

http://www.bomberonline.com/reviews/index.cfm

Not a bad idea, but it wouldn't have cumulative numerical ratings. We'll discuss.

Yo... see the little red and white alert triangle in the upper right of each post? That reports the post to the admins/mods as needing review and possible action.

Could you do them as a poll? Rate them 1-5 in the poll and enter what you see fits. Then enter you review as a post.

I would love to see a gear review forum up and running. It's easy to get some info just by searching but the more technical info rarely gets written about. Not much product feedback anywhere else for this type of gear I have found.

I think I saw somewhere that the Review forum was down because of spam. Is it possible to address this problem?

Would you trust the review of someone you haven't seen ride? I wouldn't. I would want a video of the reviewer on the board for it to have any value. I find review sites generally useless. Most people haven't ridden enough equipment to make a review useful.

That is what would be cool. You could post pictures of the product or a youtube vid if you wanted and it would only be the work of the poster not you guys (mods).

There are a lot of us on here that know who's opinion to trust..... I think you do too.

i think a subforum with threads that get locked once the reviewer has completed the review could work. to keep the review as a review and not a discussion.

Issue there is that nobody else who has ridden the board can comment.. and we really don't need 10 threads on the same board, by different riders.

we really don't need 10 threads on the same board, by different riders.

Why not? Using the search function and limiting it just to the "review" subforum you can get a listing of all the reviews for a given product. If they aren't locked it will be a discussion just like the main forum. Look in the for sale subforums and all the noise there. People don't read any of the rules here. We would have to lock them or every new user would ask questions in them.

I think there are those who have influence in their own regions by virtue of having been seen riding in 'real life'.The ride board here is evidence of that.That being said, I also think that there are riders on the overall forum who would have more 'street cred' with the general bomber membership.When I first started lurking a few years ago there very few who were considered credible and now that seems to be changing with the growth of the niche.When riders who are competent but different are able to showcase their skills, there is also room to respect style as a component of overall skill,as opposed to only right and wrong technical choices.Hence the name,Expression Session.

Why not? Using the search function and limiting it just to the "review" subforum you can get a listing of all the reviews for a given product. If they aren't locked it will be a discussion just like the main forum. Look in the for sale subforums and all the noise there. People don't read any of the rules here. We would have to lock them or every new user would ask questions in them.

I am trying to limit the drag on you guys.........

Would there be a way for the OP to be able to lock it once it is complete? Or only have the OP with access to the post they create, locked for everyone else?

Would you trust the review of someone you haven't seen ride? I wouldn't. I would want a video of the reviewer on the board for it to have any value. I find review sites generally useless. Most people haven't ridden enough equipment to make a review useful.

I actually feel the opposite as this.

I think that if we had to judge equipment from [watching a video of] how someone rides it, you wouldnt be able to tell anything. Especially if the equipment is a boot or bindings. But even for boards, if I was to just the ride of a board from watching someone try it out, I would not get an accurate picture. I have no idea how good of a rider the person is, and by watching a video, i would not be able to tell how much is the boards doing and how much is that particular persons technique[and how much the conditions on that particular day contribute](added after MUD reminded me(below) that this has to be taken into account too).

Of course this changes if you know who the rider is or can compare the same rider on two different boards, but if you can't do that, that review video can only be taken with a grain of rice.

Granted, that is the same for any persons written review, but with a written review, I can hear exactly what a person liked or disliked about a board in comparison to other boards he has ridden. That could even be a part of the review: Listing all other boards/equipment the reviewer has ridden to give a reader a better idea of the reviewer's experience. example: if a reviewer has only ridden one other board, and only rides occasionally, I'm not going to trust that reviewer's opinion as much as someone who has a ten board quiver and rides them all frequently

[also, i don't think there should be a numeric rating system like rating a board 1-5 or 1-10 something. I just feel that it would be nice to get a little more info about something I am potentially buying, such as: xx board has durability issues, yy board has great hold in icy conditions, zz boots are very narrow and not for someone who has wide feet. that kind of thing. I think it helps to get a better picture of something we cannot touch, hold, or try out before buying(in most cases).]

I actually feel the opposite as this.

I think that if we had to judge equipment from how someone rides it, you wouldnt be able to tell anything. Especially if the equipment is a boot or bindings. But even for boards, if I was to just the ride of a board from watching someone try it out, I would not get an accurate picture. I have no idea how good of a rider the person is, and by watching a video, i would not be able to tell how much is the boards doing and how much is that particular persons technique.

One thing a video would be good for is to give you an idea of the conditions the person rides without having to rely on their description.... It could be quite useful. I can tell you the technicalities of a board, but I have a bear of a time trying to describe the riding conditions we ride.

Divergent opinions aren't new to bomber. Why would gear reviews be any different. As this relates to boards, I'm more and more of the opinion that one should just buy boards and and if they don't satisfy, sell them. Seems the only way. Not saying just shoot from the hip, but only so much can be had from making it academic. At some point it actually has to be ridden.

Being new here, I can say that you can pretty much forge your opinion by searching the thread for, say TD2 SI vs TD2 classic bails. There is even a thread on this one. I also agree that overal rating doesn't really work. If you look at reviews out there on the web, even on good websites, people tend to mix technical specs with feel on the ride and even looks (that deck rocks, man....). But instead, why not use polls to get an overall picture on some of the most frequent questions, like, for instance, what is the softer hardboot out there or the best plates to do EC turns, etc. I agree with previous posters that for a review to be accurate and reliable it has to eliminate as much as possible all factors that blur the imahe like different riders ability, very different terrain, etc.

On the video thing, I must say after reading a lot about soft vs hard carving here on BoL I was thinking of some kind of video experiment: same rider, same terrain, same day, one shooting in softies and one in hard boots and see how it looks...:cool:

...On the video thing, I must say after reading a lot about soft vs hard carving here on BoL I was thinking of some kind of video experiment: same rider, same terrain, same day, one shooting in softies and one in hard boots and see how it looks...:cool:

A video review comparing competing boards / boots would be the best. We've often read someone say, "I carve my softboot setup almost as well as my hardboot setup".

Or "board X is a POS/toy compared to board Y".

Or "this board is so lively, I pop 10ft between edge changes".

Or even better "this $1000+ metal board is the greatest thing since metal edges".

Video evidence would separate shards of truth from hyperbole.