Note to New Members ×

Chronic skateboard injuries?

Dan

Has anyone had any Achilles, ankle, or foot injuries from skating? I'm not talking about inuries from a crash - more curious about repetitive-motion type injuries. I've had my board just a week or so, and I'm getting these weird pains in both feet. Is it just me? Am I doing something wrong?

When I skate a lot I get pain in the ball of my left (front) foot. It doesn't hurt while skating, only while walking, and it lasts for about a week.

It might be because I wear shoes with a very thin and flexible sole when skating. I like the barefoot-like feel, but the lack of cushioning could be a problem.

Guest Ghostrider

I was having some foot/muscle pains when i started longboarding. I got a new good fitting pair of running shoes that were fit by a pro at my running shop. It made a huge difference. If you are used to nice footbeds with high g activities like hardbooting, you should probably check that kind of stuff too since your foot might not be used to being babied with one. But be careful if you drag your foot to stop...the new traction on those running shoes are really grippy. So dont just slam your foot down unless you are also good at the duck and roll:D

I also try to switch up my stance every once in a while to keep the leg muscles even...its a little harder in practice than in theory though. I have a feeling its going to help with my onsnow switch riding though.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

When I skate a lot I get pain in the ball of my left (front) foot. It doesn't hurt while skating, only while walking, and it lasts for about a week.

It might be because I wear shoes with a very thin and flexible sole when skating. I like the barefoot-like feel, but the lack of cushioning could be a problem.

Hah - I've got that going on right now, in my back foot from kicking up to speed. If I put just enough pressure down to get traction (ie, don't stomp hard), I avoid it...

joe...

Superfeet really seemed to help bone spurs when I first put them in my skate shoes (and hardboots). But, the problem came back within a month or so.

I've tried ice, heat, ice then heat, heat then ice, stretching the achilles area, ibuprofen 800, and I still got'em. I taught myself how to push regular (sorry, I've pushed mongo for many years and I'm not gonna stop now) and that gave some relief from the pain. But, I still had foot pain for several days after a good skate session.

Anybody found any permanent relief for bone spurs, that doesn't include not skating or carving?

(www.moxion.com has some pics of a skate contest I skated in July. Click on PHOTOS then click on the Logan Skate Park pics. I'm the guy in the white shirt/camo shorts/goatee (thanks to Eric and Bob at moxion.com)).

I use court shoes designed for raquetball/tennis; they provide great feel for the longboard, lots of grip, and lots of cusion. I do use Superfeet in my ski boots.

Oddly enough, I don't use any footbeds in my snowboard boots: The circulation in my lower foot gets cut off if I do, even with the shells completely unbuckled. But my feet feel fine, so it isn't an issue!

JOECARVE: Great avatar! :)

Originally posted by Maciek

I will develope my pictures...

Yeah, I remember film... :D

Originally posted by Tommy D

JOECARVE: Great avatar! :)

Thanks - I created it for the TahoeCarvers "business cards" for the last couple seasons. I need to come up with something new this year, so I'm reclaiming it for personal use... :D

joe...