Note to New Members ×

Lycra suits in snowboardcross

Guest Boardbum

Guest Boardbum

I read a recent article about the Skier-cross athlete's being pressured to ware the Lycra suits, is it possible it could come to Boarder-cross. Now I know this was brought up before in boarder-cross but all it takes is for one guy to show that it makes a difference, and it will in qualifying runs but, I don't see it making a difference in the heats that much. But I think as time goes on and the sport grows the athlete's will do what's needed to win. Especially if the money gets bigger for some of these events

In FIS skier cross there are very strict clothing requirements. I don't have my rule book with me, but the clothes must be a certain percentage larger than the circumfrance of the body part. So lycra suit would be illegal.

New to FIS snowboard cross, is that one peice suits are now against the rules. So speed suits are now illegal as well. At the rules commitee meetings they said that they want to preserve the "culture" of the sport.

I've watched WC BX up close. You can hear the loose clothing flapping in the wind. I'm really surprised they don't wear skin suits. I don't know if there's a rule about it, but at least it would appear there's some sort of "gentlemen's agreement" not to wear racing suits. And don't get me started on the stupid sun visors on full-face helmets. That was the first thing I took off mine. I found it pulled my head/helmet back at speed.

From the FIS rule book.

2705.6 Competition Clothing.

SBX competition suits must be two piece – pants and separate top. Form

fitting speed or downhill suites are not permitted. Non protruding body protection

and padding is recommended. Protective equipment i.e. back protection

must be worn on the body. No straps, fastening devices or other

methods can be used to tighten the suit material closer to the body.