Note to New Members ×

2005 Burton Site is Live!

Guest Matt D

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

on the news ticker: "Burton acquires Four Square's snowboard brands"

My wife and I noticed that most of the people we've been barreled into on the slopes in the past few years have been on Forum boards. We steer clear whenever we see the big lowercase f. I wonder if Burton will kill off the Forum line - I hope not, the 'cause then I'll just have to steer clear of everyone

:mad:

Anyone else notice that their freeride line is thinning out and is completely powder-focused now? The closest thing to the old Supermodel / Cascade / BMC/ Omen line appears to be the Triumph. Even in the 173 it's got a sub-9 m sidecut, and the 7 mm taper seems more directed at powder than pistes.

All I can say is I'm glad Donek and Prior make boards for softies... now that the big companies have ditched alpine, they seem to be ditching "carving/cruising in softies" as well...

Originally posted by Mike T

My wife and I noticed that most of the people we've been barreled into on the slopes in the past few years have been on Forum boards. We steer clear whenever we see the big lowercase f. I wonder if Burton will kill off the Forum line - I hope not, the 'cause then I'll just have to steer clear of everyone

I remember when Forum came out. Our local store owner was asking me about what I thought about the brands he was carrying and how their boards performed. I noticed he never asked me about my opinion on Forum board and he's was like "Oh we will definitely carrying them... the boards aren't really that great, but the kids don't care" because the like all the Forum pro riders. That comment and the sliding inserts thingie they had/have always made me skeptical of the boards.

In a side note, the store couldn't carry Burton boards because the Boston Burton rep prefeedr to deal with larger distributors (Blades Board and Skate) to insure larger sales channels and thought that giving their boards to a new independent store might "dilute" their brandname if it got in trouble.

Guest Matt D

The year the sliding inserts came out my buddy broke 2 in 2 days. Yeah, forum has always gotten by because of their pro team. If quality boards were all that mattered then burton might have a hard time too. Most of these companies focus on graphics. If you browse the new burton 05 site you'll see that certain boards have wood inlay and crap.

We have some core people running our core shop and they've picked up some good brands. Capita, Endevor, and the all mighty 13urton.

I must say that I like this years burton boots and bindings a lot. Also the Analog Lowrider suit that has built in neon lights is sooooo awesome.

Guest AlpentalRider
Originally posted by Mike T

Anyone else notice that their freeride line is thinning out and is completely powder-focused now? The closest thing to the old Supermodel / Cascade / BMC/ Omen line appears to be the Triumph. Even in the 173 it's got a sub-9 m sidecut, and the 7 mm taper seems more directed at powder than pistes.

All I can say is I'm glad Donek and Prior make boards for softies... now that the big companies have ditched alpine, they seem to be ditching "carving/cruising in softies" as well...

Yea, Burton is slowly getting rid of it's freeride line. Take a look at either the Triumph or the Raven in the 163/166 lengths. The Raven in those two lengths is essentially the Johan from last year, which is one great freeride board.

Option Vinson and Ride Timeless are two other great freeride boards to try. Matter of fact, Option has stiff freeride on lock, with alot of choices.

I was lucky enough to get a Johan from last year to replace my '98 Johan, and I'm going to spring for new boots/bindings as well for my soft setup. Probably will go with the Burton Driver X with Burton P1 Carbons.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get cant plates that will fit burton boards? I have the old unicants on my Johan right now, but those things are heavy as hell, leave a huge footprint, and have that 1 degree slack because of the metal center plate design. I'm looking for a cant between 3-7 degrees for my rear foot.

Originally posted by AlpentalRider

BTW, does anyone know where I can get cant plates that will fit burton boards? I have the old unicants on my Johan right now, but those things are heavy as hell, leave a huge footprint, and have that 1 degree slack because of the metal center plate design. I'm looking for a cant between 3-7 degrees for my rear foot.

Just get some Catek Freerides!

they have a bad name with the jibbers for some reason I guess just out of style burton gear does break but most park rats love forums and those snap and on top of that the plate that holds in the sliding inserts has exploded on a couple people I know hmmm reminds me of the early 90s when tearouts were not uncommon with softboot setups do we really want to go back to that

burton makes decent boards, some damn fine boots and binding that are better than most

the forum purchase will be good for them it will recapture some market share that was slipping away from them

I wish they would promote alpine but thats not gonna happen untill we really increase in numbers

burton has focused on the biggest market as of late and that is the beginner/intermediate rider and on softgoods jackets, pants and the like

I went to the factory sale on friday got some great deals on gravis shoes 10 bucks a pair

as I was looking around a guy working there saw my shirt(Donek) and was all excited he said that Sean makes the best board he has ever ridden I found this very amusing coming from a Burton employee

Couldn't agree more. Burton is not in the same class when it comes to performance or quality:

By the way: for sale

Donek 160 Incline 2003/2004

Used once / Gold topsheet

Paid $385 + shipping last October.

(( not my kind of ride ))

Will take $185

Ken...