Note to New Members ×

Bomber's new mill

Jack M

Nice place you have there Fin and nice gear. Makes me long for a job in mechanical engineering (which I have a diploma in). I was stuck last year in a computer tech support job last year, and now I have a possibility of having another job with the same company doing technical support on a big automated pharmacy (pneumatics & PLCs controlled by a computer).

BTW, nice specs on the machine. Do you do your canting plates on one of those with a jig or do you use a 4 axis CNC?

Derf

Originally posted by Derf

BTW, nice specs on the machine. Do you do your canting plates on one of those with a jig or do you use a 4 axis CNC?

Derf

My mistake, did not read the comment saying it had a 4th axis, only read the specs on Fadal's webpage.

Derf

Originally posted by fin

Why is that? Wadaya want to make?

A number of things :) I am going to need some uprights CNC'd probably about a year from now, but that's pretty far down the road. How about a pair of TDs made from Ti? Or a set of Al molds to make some CF parts from? I would wear out the tooling before I ran out of stupid little things to make :)

What software package do you use for modeling?

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny, when I first bought one of these Fadals I had visions of making everything out of billet. My apartmernt would have super trick billet door knobs, my bike would be one big billet work of art, and so on. Fact of the matter is, tools like this give you this ability but it still demands a huge amount of energy, planning, and programming to do it.

To be honest, what I tell people is to just keep an eye out and get yourself a really nice used manual mill (Bridgeport for example) and you can do a hell of a lot of custom parts on those.

That all said, I still do have some fun now and then. Attached is a picture of a lower intake manifold I just made for my Subi project. Took 22 hours to machine the two inside bores as they are a "lofted" surface and called for a ba-gillion lines of code. Came out really good though.

post-1-141842198179_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Shred Gruumer

hey fin how bout some Bomber Rear sets for My Ducati and Yamaha!

And an open Billet clutch cover.. and levers,, and triple clamp and belt covers, and gas cap and resvoir covers and......

Right said Shred:)

Yeahhhhhhhh!!

Those are sweet works of art! However, I cannot belive they get over $400 for some of those. They are well made and thought out, but that is some big bucks for pegs!

But who am I to speak, I have spent way more on stupid small stuff for cars. I guess that is why they call it a "passion" :rolleyes:

Hey Fin,

I was planning on seeing you at Breckenridge in a week or so- but surgery isn't making me mobile.

go to

http://www.ncdsa.com/contests.asp

and click on the Brecknridge contests coming up. Aug20,21-22. The USA championships of skateboard racing.

You should go and check it out. Email me and lets see if we could crank out a few sets of PVD trucks (some of the guys on the Roe team have them)- also I think you can pour urethane as well- for the risers. I'll introduce you to Peter Verdone.

Perhaps we could make a final revision with an adjustable geometry.

________

Vaporizers

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by fin

Those are sweet works of art! However, I cannot belive they get over $400 for some of those. They are well made and thought out, but that is some big bucks for pegs!

But who am I to speak, I have spent way more on stupid small stuff for cars. I guess that is why they call it a "passion" :rolleyes:

yeah well I bought these for my Blast with insurance money

a>

Not cheap at all but they do the trick