Note to New Members ×

'Boarder sentenced for parole violation

Pat Donnelly

Yeah, definitely not the most intelligent thing to do. Hopefully I'm not taken out by any SUI; though I have had some close calls. (Most notably a 200lb drunk terminal intermediate who got mad I passed him on the easy slope.)

This is the first case I've heard of anyone getting arrested, etc, but if you take out a ski school (Or anyone) you are definitely out of control. I hate to say it, but most of the people who slide in southern Vermont slide just the way they drive: without consideration for everyone else around them, and no sense of control. Yeah, I'm good at gross generalizations. :)

what an idiot. Maybe smash his femur for him and hold off on the morphine for a few hours so he has a vivid memory of crashing into a bunch of little girls. I wouldn't smoke a phatty and jump in a racecar, esp if there were kids on the track.

Guest AlpentalRider

The only odd thing about this case is that they charged him with negligent child abuse. I can understand reckless endangerment, or something along those lines, but child abuse???

Looks like he wasn't the only one drinking in Denver :eek:

no one here has ever smoked or drank a bit while riding?

I dont drink much when Im ridin, and hell I dont even smoke weed any more, but I used to, and Id argue all day long that it never clouded my judgement. Help me ride more fluidly.

skated stoned 50% of the time, too...same effect.

that guy was an idiot before he imbibed whatever it was...

some of you might be surprised how many young riders apparently ride after a few beers and even under the influence, although I think it' s more at major mountains. The atmosphere for that just doesnt' exist at a lot of small East Coast mountains. there is a thread about this on snowboard.com, where all the kiddies hang out, for those who want scare themselves, lol.

---

Barry

Originally posted by D-Sub

no one here has ever smoked or drank a bit while riding?

I dont drink much when Im ridin, and hell I dont even smoke weed any more, but I used to, and Id argue all day long that it never clouded my judgement. Help me ride more fluidly.

skated stoned 50% of the time, too...same effect.

that guy was an idiot before he imbibed whatever it was...

I come from the opposite end of the spectrum (just my opinion, which differs from yours, but you are welcome to believe you opinion). I agree that there are people who are stupid and dangerous sober and clean. But I think it's silly to imply that drugs and alcohol don't cause accidents.

I mean I guess you could refuse to believe the medical studies that both affect judgment, slow reaction time, and impair coordination and balance. Personally, I tend to believe the studies since my anecdotal evidence seems to support it. From playing quake on the computer, to ultimate frisbee, to ice hockey... people who are stoned (or drunk) tend to play like crap (although most of the times they have no clue and think they are playing fine). Of course, my memories are mostly when people are extremely intoxicated or extremely stoned... I believe if you drank or smoked with moderation, your faculties would remainly largely intact (not much worse than being on NyQuil or something) - but I think it's really a person to person thing... where no one is qualified to judge their own performance with under the influence. It's because of this uncertainty that I think it's a bad idea to drunk or smoke when you are going to hurtling pass other people at high speeds (whether it's in a car or on a snowboard).

That's just my opinion and I'm sure many people don't fully agree with me. That's ok... just don't crash into me :D

On an interesting note... there WAS a study in Europe where they found that students tend to score better on tests in which their testing environment is most like their studying environment (helps with your memory). They did amusing things like having people study and take tests while underwater (in scuba gear). And found that people who studied underwater would score better if they took the test underwater as well (as opposed to being in a classroom). They also found the same results were true if students were to smoke pots while studying AND just before taking the exam. Now before people start misquoting this and claiming smoking pot relaxes you before the exam and makes it easier to score better... you have to know that the pot smoking group scored statistically lower than the group that studied in the classroom and took their exam in the same classroom. Just thought it was an amusing medical study.

oh I was definitely talking about moderate use, not getting "fcked up" and then jumpin on a board of any sort.

alcohol's the worst. Pot...well...different story in many ways.

I just dont like knee jerk reactions. Theyre part of the reason the penalties and repercussions for DUI are so ridiculous.

the guy that crashed into kids...well...that is absolutely horrible and he is being punished for it (although, yes, "child abuse" sure seems like an odd charge)

I certainly didnt say that alcohol doesnt affect ones judgement or balance, and there are definitely people that overdo it every time they get near an intoxicant, and yes, they certainly can be dangerous

This is probably disturbing to most of us, but perhaps even more so if you're a parent. My 7 year-old has been on snow for a couple of seasons now and still riding the beginner hill and some green circles. His confidence has really grown and he's stoked on this snowboarding thing! I hear about this and it makes me even more reluctant to let him out of my sight for even a few seconds!

I don't know, but here's an observation (and I digress): It's the middle of the freakin' SUMMER and here we are on Bomber talking snowboards, salivating for the upcoming season, maybe even stoked on new gear we're going to get to try out. Hell, we're satisfied with clipping in and riding our living room carpet until the resorts open! - I'd call THAT an addiction folks! There is a certain rush we all get from participating in this particular genre of sliding sport. Why add a controlled substance or the last legal drug to interfere with that ? Endorphins are the chemical of choice here - It's all about the thrill of the carve (isn't it?) - gotta love that "runner's high"!

Sorry, on the look out for a 12-stepper now.

Kirk: "Hello, my name is Kirk"

Audience: "Hello, Kirk"

Kirk: "This is my first time here and, well...I'm a carve-aholic!...there I said it!"

Originally posted by D-Sub

I just dont like knee jerk reactions. Theyre part of the reason the penalties and repercussions for DUI are so ridiculous.

the guy that crashed into kids...well...that is absolutely horrible and he is being punished for it (although, yes, "child abuse" sure seems like an odd charge)

I certainly didnt say that alcohol doesnt affect ones judgement or balance, and there are definitely people that overdo it every time they get near an intoxicant, and yes, they certainly can be dangerous

Yes, I would agree that alcohol seems worse than pots (which is amusing since the latter is much more "illegal" in most states). You also have a valid point about moderation and self-control. For me it's a personal opinion on whether you think it is worth the additional risk and whether you trust other people enough to act responsibly and so mandatory prohibitions would not be necessary.

Originally posted by Kirk

I don't know, but here's an observation (and I digress): It's the middle of the freakin' SUMMER and here we are on Bomber talking snowboards, salivating for the upcoming season, maybe even stoked on new gear we're going to get to try out. Hell, we're satisfied with clipping in and riding our living room carpet until the resorts open! - I'd call THAT an addiction folks! There is a certain rush we all get from participating in this particular genre of sliding sport. Why add a controlled substance or the last legal drug to interfere with that ? Endorphins are the chemical of choice here - It's all about the thrill of the carve (isn't it?) - gotta love that "runner's high"!

You described it perfectly Kirk. This is exactly what I believe as well, but that's just the way I see things (I keep wanting to stress that this is an individual perspective and I'm not trying to convince/force anyone to my way of thinking)

well I certainly wouldnt argue that parents dont have a right to want their kids to be safe!

altho...one of the reason there are so many stupid fcking monstrous SUVs like Escalades, Expeditions, Tahoe, etc?

men were worried about their women and kids being safe, so they buy them the biggest vehicle available. The result is now clearly more accidents and more danger. SOBER drivers even!

Id like to see those trucks made illegal also:)

anyway...yes, lonerider...it does come down to personal responsibility, and when someone crosses the line and injures someone else, severe punishment should be inflicted.

my initial comment was in response to something someone else said up there, that just sounded way too...dunno...

nevermind. sorry. really sucks for the people the guy ran into!

Originally posted by lonerider But I think it's silly to imply that drugs and alcohol don't cause accidents.

Id almost argue this, though. it would be an admittedly theoretical argument along the lines of "guns kill people"...

a lot of societal problems come down to a frightening disregard for others. Where this comes from, who knows, but like the second post said about vermonters and the way they ski...just like they drive?

theres this horrible air of self-centeredness that is becoming more and more prevalent (again, the "soccer moms" with the damn near semi-sized "SUVs")

me personally...I was always taught to consider others, and its engrained in the way I interact with the world around me, almost to a fault. Id certainly rather be the way I am than some me me me type with no concept of others.

heh. Im not even sure where any of this came from.