Freestyle in hard boots?

quest4powder

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

his 175 had the stance set waaaay back (as did most boards of the day) and the stances of the day had your feet really close together. So you had less power and so the spin was not as balanced either. The guy was incredible! He also used to land switch in the pow and crud which is amazing when you hardly have any tail on your board.

On a side note: all this talk of Indies and Iguanas - on the cover of SB'ers in Exile, the backflip he is pulling is a stalefish.

I am enough of a loser that I usually get this tape out and watch it around late September when I start to get the "bug".

another name:

Farmer

not hardboots obviously, but DAMN what a nut.

didnt a lot of euros freeride in hardboots? I remember a few articles in TW...cant remember names tho...but one guy was launchin cliffs and rocks, etc, all in a hard setup...

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill

Yeah, but he didn't spin like the kids do now.

Yeah, I know, he didn't spin like they do now, but he looked BETTER....

At least back then riders had individual style. If you saw Damian ridiing, you knew it was him, by his riding style. Same with Craig Kelly, and all the old MBHC crew, etc. Nowadays I can't tell one little jibber from the other - they all look the same spinning and flipping and breaking their necks.

A lot of the guys now probably do have their own style too. I just don't have time to follow it like I used to. The joys of being a desk jockey....

Oh, I gues I should be working...

Originally posted by Skully

The cool thing about the old freestylers like Damian is they didn't have to ride a 150 to be able to spin, etc. Damian always road a 175 and didn't have any problem spinning.

Oldschool freestylers rode what they thought was the best available to them at the time. Most freestyle riders ride boards in the 155-160 range which are probably more responsive and stable than the 175 boards Damian Sanders use to ride.

I'm sure any pro rider today could spin on a 175 board, but it would be silly to trudge around in equipment that isn't the best for what you are doing. I doubt any old school rider got as much air or spin/flipped/rodeod as smooth as the today's best riders. Partially that because today's riders are technically better more proficient - with more instruction, training and practice, and part of that is because the technology is better as well.

In the end, I think what you are really saying is you prefer the style and culture that existed when you were young to the newcomers now a days... which makes sense on an emotional level. That is to say this is really more about wanting to be young again and therefore cherishing all that was associated with your youth (aka each generation always claimed their music, their athletics, etc... was the best).

For me I will probably always prefer smooth grace of Terje Haakonsen to say the corked 1080s of Kevin Jones (although he's already old news as well) or all the extra rail tricks of the recent days (a few rails are fun... but having have the course be rails is excessive for me).

cant say I agree with you about the holding on to ones youth thing either

sometimes those "back then it was this way" arguments are truly valid!

like you said up above...snowboarding is now trendy..or rather, mainstream...

when you get schools designed to teach _moves_ that used to be based on expression and imagination, something has been lost.

yet another art made into science it seems

Partially that because today's riders are technically better more proficient - with more instruction, training and practice, and part of that is because the technology is better as well.

Technology including terrain features and halfpipes. It's amazing to see how far that's come when looking back at old halfpipe comp video. Why, back in the day, we used to shovel the ice-pipe <I>by hand</I>.

And it was uphill both ways!

Originally posted by D-Sub

sometimes those "back then it was this way" arguments are truly valid!

Question is whether this is one of those cases. Clearly it's a debating and high opinionated issue.

like you said up above...snowboarding is now trendy..or rather, mainstream...

when you get schools designed to teach moves that used to be based on expression and imagination, something has been lost.

yet another art made into science it seems

does anyone freeride tho? seems like all you see is sculpted kickers, even in the backcountry?

I understand what you are saying. But I think you are over oversimplifying the my point to a romanticized extreme. Just because someone teaches you how to do a 360, doesn't mean you can't have you own style to it. Using video review to go over the flaws in your technique isn't going to turn everyone into identical automatons. If you just showed the body silhouettes of any of my friends I could pick them out by their riding styles and given enough time I know I could do the same for most pro riders.

Update: Terje freerides a ton. He barely competes any more. I sure many of them freeride... but you just don't see it that often. I mean would you pay $20 just a to watch a bunch of other people get awesome powder?

Originally posted by Slim

Technology including terrain features and halfpipes. It's amazing to see how far that's come when looking back at old halfpipe comp video. Why, back in the day, we used to shovel the ice-pipe <I>by hand</I>.

And it was uphill both ways!

Yea, that's what one of the major things I noticed when watching old videos... how crappy those handmade halfpipes looked. I grew up in the pipedragon days, and now I prefer the super pipedragons to those.

Still old boards (10-15 years ago) are pretty crappy in my opinion.

Originally posted by lonerider

I doubt any old school rider got as much air or spin/flipped/rodeod as smooth as the today's best riders.

You obviosly haven't seen any of the "old school" videos if you think that they didn't get as much air as they do today. Damian and Steve Graham and that crew went PLENTY big.

Heh heh.

We haven't had a post go on like this for a long time. (At least without it getting deleted.)

Anyone want to talk about releasable bindings?

Flame Away!

And D-Sub - don't you mess with the jacket. It'll end up in a museum someday, long with most of the boards I still ride. :)

they definitely didnt spin as much then, and the rodeo/misty flip hadnt even been thought of yet, but...they went pretty damn big

and again, a lot of it was in genuine freeride terrain, not pre-formed jumps with perfect landings. there's points in that for sure!

I dunno...seems funny...aint been much talk about freestyle/freeriding in hardboots tho!

damn..wish I could remember the guys name from that TW article....uh...fudge

You obviosly haven't seen any of the "old school" videos if you think that they didn't get as much air as they do today. Damian and Steve Graham and that crew went PLENTY big.

Flame Away!

Sorry, I should haved qualified my comment... I mean to say they didn't go as big in the halfpipe or quarterpipe. I don't think it was possible with the terrain element techology they had back then. I mean I saw Shane Flood go 50 ft straight up into the air at the World Quarterpipe Championships (flew way past the 25 ft pole making ontop of the 20 ft wall).

Originally posted by D-Sub

oh oh..I got it. the tranny/quarterpipe was 20 feet, and the height marker was 25 so he was 50' from the ground.

I was thinkin from the lip! damn

Yea, that's what I meant. It was like 30 feet or so from the lip. but for him looking down at that angle it must have been quite a view. I remember catching him in the corner of my eye during the practice runs as I was walking around and being like "dang he's flapping a lot" and then I noticed he's past the height marker. Then I realized he was getting use to his trajectory as it would seriously suck to land on the wall or down to low on the transition.

Anyone want to talk about releasable bindings?

Has anyone seen the new releasable bindings by Burton?

They're not built for safety, in fact they are built for the jibbers so they don't have to unstrap their bindings to hike back up the hill. I think they are called Fusion.