Note to New Members ×

OT: Any carvers who skateboard?

utahcarver

Originally posted by northcoast

That's how I feel about trying to railslides and grinds after surgery. If I only had those hooks that you could mount using the truck hardware. Do they still make those for mt. boards? I know you used to be able to get them with those big Tonka lookin' mudder wheels.

Do you mean these ?

Originally posted by northcoast

Get a helmet and wrist guards as a bare minimum for safety...elbow and knee pads are a really good idea as well.

I have all of that... but I'm currently using slider gloves (no back bracing) instead of wrist guards... should I wear guards as well/instead?

For a full gear setup (thanks to the awesome people at

Purple Skunk who let you demo pretty much everything before buying (decks, trucks, wheels, bearings). I'm riding 70mm ABEC11 GRIPPINS (81a) which are center cored and supposedly a cross between the flashback and the gumball in feel (and slidable at 81a I'm told). I'm parroting exactly what I was told... but I did try all of the wheel out, including the Avilas on the 44" Fibreflex pintail like you joe. The Avilas was amazingly smooth over rough terrain and grippy... but I felt they would be less versatile. I have180 Randalls with Khiro Blue and Red Bushing. The people are Purple Skunk set it up for me - I there more than one way to setup the Randalls?

So yea, I'm just working up getting up my edge pressure on the turns so I can make a well 180 in the street. Trying to do a drop knee heelside turn withOUT grabbing the rail and pulling the board up.

Originally posted by lonerider

I have all of that... but I'm currently using slider gloves (no back bracing) instead of wrist guards... should I wear guards as well/instead?

Uh, no - slider gloves are way better, I think...I should switch to them as well.

For a full gear setup (thanks to the awesome people at

Purple Skunk who let you demo pretty much everything before buying (decks, trucks, wheels, bearings). I'm riding 70mm ABEC11 GRIPPINS (81a) which are center cored and supposedly a cross between the flashback and the gumball in feel (and slidable at 81a I'm told). I'm parroting exactly what I was told... but I did try all of the wheel out, including the Avilas on the 44" Fibreflex pintail like you joe. The Avilas was amazingly smooth over rough terrain and grippy... but I felt they would be less versatile. I have180 Randalls with Khiro Blue and Red Bushing. The people are Purple Skunk set it up for me - I there more than one way to setup the Randalls?

So yea, I'm just working up getting up my edge pressure on the turns so I can make a well 180 in the street. Trying to do a drop knee heelside turn withOUT grabbing the rail and pulling the board up.

Sounds like you're riding deeper into turns than I am, actually...probably way closer to the pavement than me :D

Purple Skunk rocks.

joe...

Originally posted by joecarve

Uh, no - slider gloves are way better, I think...I should switch to them as well.

Sounds like you're riding deeper into turns than I am, actually...probably way closer to the pavement than me :D

Purple Skunk rocks.

joe...

I'll stick with the slider gloves then. I only get really low on the last turn when I'm almost out of steam, the the rest of the time I'm pretty upright and tall (still afraid of even tempting to slide the board).

joecarve and lonerider,

When the discussion turned to slider gloves I knew the thread is going in the right direction. My first homemade pair blew up the first time I used them. Back to the drawing board!

I would hope that being from the bay area and san jose you two might know of your neighbor Cliff Coleman over in Berkeley.

Last fall I picked up Gravity skateboard's DVD, Flow. Coleman (then 51?) is a major player in this no holds-barred video. Sergio Yuppi, a young Brazilian talent, is perhaps the only rider who can upstage Coleman and his brand of very stylish, what I call, Ultrasliding.

If you get a hold of this disc, don't be swayed by (Brad) Edwards' park play which is briliant followed by his sliding with great aplomb (he uses a plastic Pepsi crate as a slider for hellssakes!). Coleman and Yuppi are still the standouts in this release from the Gravity team.

Lotsa Flow in this DVD for off-season jamming.

Mark

Oh, I shouldn't forget Cabbage (from the east coast) who rips things up back in Maryland and Lansdowne park.

Even some footy of my old home park, Kona, too.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

Read <a href="http://www.geocities.com/sk8sanjose/sliding.html">this</a>.

Hasn't done me much good - I still can't slide, but I haven't tried much after one of my earlier attempts ended with a highside.

Highside...opposite of fun. Ow. But watching a good slider is very cool.

I've been hesitant to pursue sliding...seems like it reinforces a bad habit of looking downhill (across the board) on a traverse, which took forever to break myself of on snow. Pumping, on the other hand, feels an awful lot like really fast hardboot turns...

joe...

Is that what you seek?

I still see them from time to time. I have a number of sets that I am saving for that elusive Lonnie Toft 10" to complete the Flying yellow banana "Ski-board". Very handy for jumping the bigger boards too. The "almost mt board" type skateboard set ups.

I was into sliding for a while but I kept putting flat spots in my wheels so I gave it up. As I write this, I realize that I now have multiple boards, so if I screw up the wheels on one board I can ride ramps with another board... Hmmm....

But anyhow, what I meant to say was that instead of sliding I now ride hills using very turny trucks (Seismic), and I keep my speed in check by making lots of turns. These trucks will turn 180 using only half the width of the road in front of my house so I can do the whole hill without gaining any more speed than I want. One section is steep enough that it took me a few sessions to get up the nerve, but it works - turning sheds enough speed. It's really fun, feels kinda like carving a snowboard.

I'm using Power Paw 64mm 'Super Grip' wheels, which actually slide noticeably (but controllably) during my turns. It's not the extended-sideways sort of sliding though. Maybe with better traction it might be harder to keep my speed down, but I'm going to stick with this setup for a while. Maybe graduate to some bigger/wider/softer/grippier wheels when I start wanting more challenge.

This past weekend we had a skateboard competition at our local cement park. As I was skating, I heard the usual chants encouraging me to skate hard and win. But, I also heard someone's voice in the crowd say, "Hey, get that old guy outta there before he hurts himself."

It was all I could do to keep going because I was laughing so hard. That's the most fun I've ever had in a skate comp.

Mark

I was skating at a local park once and my girlfriend told me she heard one two kids talking:

"That guy's pretty good."

"Yeah, but he's so old!"

And that was about 1996.

It didn't bother me until the time I handed someone their runaway board and got a "thank you, sir" for doing so.