Note to New Members ×

First Post After Years of Reading

Guest becca

Guest Ghostrider

Ok...in defense of...well everybody...and to maybe save Jack the energy of banning people in the morning, as well as maybe kill this rather stupid argument thread...

Did anybody actually read the rules for the forum???

It doesnt say a word about being "family friendly"

All it says is be nice to people...thats about it.

Originally posted by becca

Likewise, have you noticed that some users’ avatars are distasteful too?

Hey, if you knew what I looked like under the face paint, you'd thank me for using this pic as my avatar!

Originally posted by Ghostrider

Ok...in defense of...well everybody...and to maybe save Jack the energy of banning people in the morning, as well as maybe kill this rather stupid argument thread...

Did anybody actually read the rules for the forum???

It doesnt say a word about being "family friendly"

All it says is be nice to people...thats about it.

True dat. And I can't ban anybody. Like I said, this place is like a resort bar during apres-ski. Catering to adults, but all ages are alowed.

Ash, you can have the big-O in your sig! (or in your car, your office, an elevator... whatever floats yer boat)

I have been banned for 24 hours......

What ever.. All it did was reduce my want to contribute. When I could not post how I felt but could be flamed freely.

Shame, like my self a group of you have forced a rider with some real talent to the point of snapping..

Its very hard to keep your cool on a site were anyone can and does TYPE smack.

I too stopped posting. I know what I bring to the table and choose not to because of rebuttals and flaming by less experienced riders.

Have you ever put yourself into the other guy’s shoes?

Fin him self sent me some e-mail with the bar comparisons.

As a long time bar manager I have to disagree. At a bar no one knows, how you ride also, but people tend to have more faith in one another face to face. It is also much easier to interpret any verbal communication when the orator is there to present the info. Here on the forum the orator is forced to be a writer, and try to persuade the reader. This is not an easy skill. And when being attacked or flamed on this forum it is very difficult to maintain ones writing skills. Also the guy on the stool may be the coolest guy in town. But enough people have given him smack that night so he loses it.

Here it is very easy for a few people who have some writing skills to come down on others based on theory or hearsay.

While the author feels they are interjecting valid points based on theory, the experienced rider is usually the one who gets flamed and insulted. Of course they take it personally it is as though you have insulted there riding. Some of us don’t take lightly to being insulted about riding or experience when it is what we have chosen as a life style.

It maybe hard for anyone to realize the amount of frustration caused by the free posting kooks on the site who think they know. But really have no idea.

I understand CMC frustration at the site, in general, and can understand his anger toward the moderators, Fin included.

When the site went to the new format we were all surprised at the editing of swears and felt is may be a deterrent to the CF’s style of insulting and flaming. Now people are questioning the content as well?

I have never heard family site until BJ brought it up? But now that it is the trend BOL chooses to follow I am curious to what level it will be enforced? I have seen many comments that are outside the PG-13 rating Jack mentions.

I hope CMC is welcomed back to the site because in my opinion he was one of the true riders that gave this site some creditability.

His advise and tips had true conviction from a experienced every day rider with the ability to back up his forward and poignant statement.

As a long time reader and a retired frustrated poster, it is indeed unfortunate this board has lost a talented rider-poster.

The board is again in the hands of the Moderators and Fin.

Jake Carpenter once said to me. “The sport has never been in my hands only in my riders hearts”.

You figure it out.

Also Bob I cant understand how

“I’m angry that he has forced us to publicly disclose the larger issues, but this is his choice.”

Your not the guy who got banned from a ‘public, opps sorry its now considered private’ forum.

“It's purely about Curt doing damage to the sport. Jack and Fin are too nice to say it as they are trying to walk a sensitive line, and I appreciate this, but in their silence, the full story is not revealed and it never will be as it is between the moderators and Curt. You will have to understand that there were MANY long-standing issues both on BOL and off that played into this decision.”

Curt has not done any damage to the sport, I am appalled that you would indicate so.

The positive aspect of this forum is the ability to share. Curt has done a lot of sharing here. Much more honestly then most posters and Moderator including yourself have been open enough to do. While it is very nice of you to “Share” your obvious distain for Curt via the inference that Jack and Fin are being “sensitive” and there were other “issues on and off BOL”. It just seems to me as though any guy who might not fit into the “BOL mold” has to go. Is this an open forum or a cool guy club?

P.S. Thanks for the harbooter.com link Fin, its still un-der construction so it’s still un-censored any one can come yell at me there!

Hello Bordy,

Great to have you back! I figured a debate like this would be just the thing to pull you out of the wood-work ;)

As a long time bar drinker your description of how one communicates with others in bars is not relevant to the point here. We ALL understand that you have a personal issue with being flamed but the real debate here is not flaming but how you control that flaming. So take one more step back on that bar owner analogy, when you see two guys in your bar getting heated in there discussion and a fight might erupt or does erupt, what do you do? If a guy has taken off his pants and is dancing on tables, what do you do? This is not about taking sides or who is right or wrong it is about keeping the peace in this establishment we call the forum. Does not matter if he is “the cool guy” or not, he acts like an ass, he gets ask to leave.

‘public, opps sorry its now considered private’ forum

As much as you might think otherwise, this is a public forum. Anyone can participate and we do not ask for a legitimate e-mail to post (will probably change soon). However, just like any public place, act like a butt-head or break the rules and you might get asked to leave. This applies to everyone, no one is singled out.

It just seems to me as though any guy who might not fit into the “BOL mold” has to go.

My apologies here, I hoped I had covered this in my previous post. Let me restate this more clearly:

The member recently banned from the BOL forum was done solely on the fact they broke the rules multiple times and after multiple warnings. Not because we like or dislike him, not because we like or dislike his carving style, and certainly not because he does not fit the mold. He broke the rules and guidelines of this forum.

I hope this clarifies this.

Leroy Eldridge Cleaver said it best: “If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem”. Bordy, you have a great background in plate riding and are certainly passionate about the sport however, give us some constructive feedback on how to make this site better. All we tend to hear from you is the negative stuff. Come on man, cheer up!

Mussed of missed some ting good while I was gone,, can I see the thread?

I hate dis topic,, It offends me,, so you should ban it! hmmm kinda like work here,, if HR says if its offends just one person you can't do it! Man,, Its farfrum bieng sensored. Me I wish it was an R forum,, you should see what kids 2 day are doing,, man I wish I was young,again they didn't have hooters like dat ,, must be in the hamburgers or baseballs they eat.

I poop on you! take dat!,, oh no not in da pants! dang now da bladder too,, ah Fluckenshlichter!

No point,, just drunk at the bar minding my own business,, its 1:00am and time to lower my standards! oh man that girl over there with the three eyes is hot..wow she's got three of everything! cool!

rrtighth said shremdrd, hick!

The way I see it, Fin has two options:

1) Obnoxious people get booted, or

2) The site gets more obnoxious over time

And CMC had two options:

1) Play nice and stick around, or

2) annoy the host and get booted

I'm bummed that CMC chose option 2, but I'm glad that Fin chose option 1.

All this crap about free speech is, well, crap. Fin runs this joint, we can stay or go, he can choose who gets in. Don't pee on his couch, other people use it too.