Note to New Members ×

Bust out the rock boards!

Art

One of our local hills (smaller hill, called Hyak or East Snoqualmie Summit) slid to bare earth on about 75% of the slope. The rain here is decimating the snow pack with some amazing results. Ill post some pics when I find them.

Its nuts. The westside of the cascades is prone especially with snow in the lowlands like we have had. West side mountain drainage is designed to flood, its the population that gets in the way. Lots of building in those natural drains, combined with steep saturated slopes, tall trees and wind means look out. Stay tuned......

I learned to snowboard on that hill, it was one of the first places around here to allow (and, equally importantly, to rent) snowboards. I mostly ride at Stevens Pass now, which is a bit further north and higher up...

The roads to both locations have been closed quite a bit lately due to avalanche concerns, and are still closed at the moment, so regardless of how the area operators feel about avalanche danger, the Department of Transportation isn't letting anyone up there. Snoqualmie hopes to re-open tomorrow (that slide happened at one of their four base areas, the other three are probably still OK) but Stevens plans to be closed until Friday.

And it's raining in both areas as I write this. :(