Note to New Members ×

Bust Toe nail......

rikytheripster

I went boarding in January and tried my new boots for the 1st time- Raichle SB 324's(with thermo liners). When i had them moulded i used an old ski sock and cut it up to make a toe box for moulding. Then started boarding and realised that when i lent back(end of turn, etc) my big toe on leading foot(left) was pressing hard against the boot. After a week of this i had a massive blood blister under the nail which was frikcin painful and eventually made the nail come off.

My question is how to amend this for next season? Do i just re-mould the liners with more toe space?Get the boot heated up and actually change the shape of the toe section? Or just never lean back?

Thanks for the help

I'd try tightening the second buckle more, you know, the one across the front of your arch. It should push your foot back in the boot and hold it back to stop your toe from coming forward and contacting the boot. Also have the other buckles reasonably tight. Remolding maybe if this doesn't work, but it worked for me in my Raichles.

taping some foam on to the area in pain seems to work better than tightening the whole area by way of buckling down more while molding

possibly the homemade toe box was too small as well you could try anothr layer of sock on there if you have one to spare

Ouch the old "turf toe".. I would remold it with a bigger toe box. When I had mine done they used a neoprene toe box that was thicker than a sock. Also keep the toe nails short to prevent ( or help reduce ) toe-jam. Good luck.

The toebox used when I got my liners molded was a big bulky thing made of neoprene - way bigger and thicker than even a few pairs of socks. It also came a fair way down my foot - about halfway over the ball, although the ends of it were quite tapered so there was no obvious line between "toebox" and "no toebox".

The molding was pretty painful, but my toes now have lots of room.

If I let the lower cuff strap get loose, my ankle moves up and forward and I get some pressure on my toes. It's no big deal in my case, but you might try tighening that strap further and see if it holds your foot back a little more. I'd be surprised if that was sufficient in itself, but it might help a little.

My problem with Raichles has been width - my boot fitter put some foam strips on the sides of my feet to get more room, but we ended up stretching the shells later anyhow. The foam just didn't make enough room.

If the liner around your toe is thick enough that remolding with a thicker toe-cap could give enough room, then that's worth a shot, but if you can stretch the shell in the area over your toe that might be preferable. It was definitely required in my case, but our situations may not really be comparable so it's hard to say... It's worth investigating though.

Ken, have you looked into stretching the toes of your size 26 boots' shells? I had an extra 1/8" added to the width of my Raichle 324s across the toes and I'm going to have the same stretch done a little further back. I suspect you could stretch the toe box forward about as much. In the heel pocket, the 324 (and its siblings) have a lot of material at the that can be ground out, which might also gain you some more room at the toes. My heels have bumps sticking out and my boot fitter ground quite a bit of material (3/16" maybe) out of the heel of the boot, around the bottom of the lean adjuster. I have a pair of ski boots that had the shells punched out in the same area.

FWIW, I wear size 10 shoes and went with the Raichle's sizing chart's mondo 28 recommendation and that was too big. Mondo 27 is MUCH better and I'm contemplating UPS boots in mondo 26 now because I hear they are wider and I think I could go shorter (and I know I could go tighter in the ankle area). I wanted some last year but they sold out. Ken, if you end up getting rid of those size-26 boots, let me know. If they are UPS, I am interested. If not, I might still be interested. :-)

as an irish step dancer i've lost toenails a bunch of times... it sucks cause they take so long to freaking grow back (especially the big toe)...

HOWEVER... the is a good side... your toenail will grow back a lot stronger. the ones i've lost, after having grown back in, i've never lost them again.

:)

Guest Tim Tuthill

For what it's worth, I lost my left big toe nail last season in Reichles, too wide for me. Been on Burton Reactors for 5 seasons with no problems, matter of fact they fit real well. I got a pair of Burton Fires from Chris Klug and they are perfect. Same last as the Reactors. Got on them for a week at the end of the season, so I'm good to go. Whats interesting is, that the factory liners seem to work well for me. I think that I may be the only person that uses factory liners with no problems?

Tim, same here. My foot shape must be the same as the last for building the liners. I've used Burton's exclusively and have never had a problem with them. I currently use Fires in a 27.0 even though my foot size is a 28.5. The fires are little snug when I first buclkle them up but after a few runs, cinch them down again and I am good to go. One thing I do is get rid of that burton footbed?? I go to my local Big 5 and pick up some sorbothane footbeds, these seem to give a bit of cushion under the foot.

Cheers for the repliesd am going to get on the case and sort them out.

Kent, how long will it take to develop these 'Super Nails.'

Firstly I will re-mould the liners with a neoprene cap and develop super nails. If that fails I will get the boot mould stretched/altered and hopefully that will do it. I think my 2nd strap is always tight, just how i like it.

Bring on the snow.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tim Tuthill

Oldvolvo: Are those footbeds rubber?? If so, do they get wet?? I have cork and they stay dry. I will go to surefoot molded this season I think. Tim

Tim, Not sure of the composition of the material but I believe that it is a vibration dampener of some sort. The footbeds have a little more thickness and support than stock Burton footbeds. The sorbothane beds also leave your sock bottoms nice and green, which is an added bonus.