Note to New Members ×

Just a few turns from last season...

RDY_2_Carve

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vobZBvFzA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-vobZBvFzA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you click the vid and chose the high quality option it's much better. Can't ever get the exposure right on the camcorder. Maybe it's always overcast...who knows. :(

I actually like what's going on from the waist down, but my upper body never seems to be where it needs to be on heelside? On toeside my upperbody is already in a great position but I stay there, cross under, and then I'm on the toilet on heelside.

So what's a good drill to FORCE a cross over on my upper body during a toe to heel transition? The waist pinch? I can't seem to stop bending at the waist. This seems to be one of my biggest hurdles and is cramping my progression. Since my upper body is out of position so much my arms are all over the place. It just doesn't look fluent at all.

Other stuff I am trying to concentrate on this season is always looking uphill which seems to have really improved my toeside. I've found it gets my upper body rotating back uphill and forces my hands to cross over the board as well.

I've thought about using a ski pole or the like to help with the flailing arms?

My goal this season I is to finally get a nice fluent style going on. I know I can carve, but I want to make it look good!

Wish I could practice more...Might only get 20 days in this season. :(

First off, great selection of tunes man!

These are tips that some of my friends have told me to try over the years. It appears you are carving regular, so on a heelside turn, look uphill and try to keep both of your hands in front of you so that you can see your right hand in your paripheral vision.

Next, in a heelside turn, with your right hand, start out by trying to touch your lead/left knee. And as each heelside turn comes and goes, try reaching lower. Next turn, try reaching for the upper part of the lead/front/left boot cuff, and so on and so forth. What this will hopefully do is to get you to feel the pinch in the waist and more importantly lowering you center of gravity which will increase edge hold.

Hopefully, I am correct in my explanation and this will help out! And if I am not correct there wil be no shortage of people correcting me! :)

Thought one: try the butler drill. Lead hand to the front of your body, trailing hand to the back, hold both tight to your waist. Go carve using only speed and a quiet upper body. That will force you to stay balanced and angulate properly rather than reach for the snow. Second thought: Looks like you aren't comfortable transitioning to your toeside. Several times you are forcing your board (skidding) around and then commiting to the toeside turn...something uncomfortable in your setup? Or something else? Just thinking out loud here, hope it helps. Oh yeah, sometimes it looks on the viddy like you are trying to do too much too slow, you may need some more speed, or less laying it over because you are moving too slow.

I was having this exact same issue last time I went out. Im a second season hardbooter and am still tweaking my setup. I tried adjusting my front boot and binding and next thing I knew I was doing heelside with a straight back! My adjustments were made so that my front boot was lifted at the toe instead of at the heel. I have Deeluxe boots that allow you to adjust the angle between your foot and leg. I adjusted this also and it worked great! This allowed me to make turns keeping my legs and back straight and I noticed it took alot less effort to make clean turns. My legs were hardly tired by the end of the run. Im wish I could explain this adjustment with the correct terminology but Im still learning, basically just adjust your binding so your toe is farther off the board than your heel. I hope this helps.