Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

I've tried to get Gregory to try hardbooting but I think he is reluctant to take a step back from his competency in his soft boots so we wind up riding slopes that are a mix of carve friendly and not. 

Started with about 4 runs on Fire Bowl. Snow was firm but smooth and wide open. We then went to #4 & did a couple on the cat trial skier's right from the top of #4 (Apollo?). Then over to #8 with 6 - 8 or so runs on the groomer on #8. Gregory was hurting from a bike crash the day before. I was just a bit sore for no good reason. 

We then tumbled down Face and returned to the front side. Did about another 5 runs on Fire Bowl until we were both exhausted about 1 PM. Overall I thought the snow conditions were pretty great.

I think I progressed significantly from my 4 days at ATC. We ran the same 3 runs at West Buttermilk over and over and over again. Near perfect conditions with very few variables. I think that I was somehow able to set up a "muscle memory" from these repeated runs. I think that I have been able to bring this over to Loveland and be able to carve much better in ideal conditions.

Not exactly sure why things seem to be clicking for me but I'll take it. I think that I used to get on one edge & then when I tried to initiate the next turn, I would kind of work the board over onto the other edge but not set it. Now I'm finding that I come off one edge and aggressively set the other edge. I know that you guys have been pointing this out to me for a long time but I think that I'm finally starting to get it.

Maybe this will all fall apart when the conditions get icier or the slopes get steeper.

However, it is gratifying to feel that I'm getting better at something knowing that I just passed my 60th birthday.

Hope to see you guys again weekends in April.  

• Like 3

I think I progressed significantly from my 4 days at ATC. We ran the same 3 runs at West Buttermilk over and over and over again. Near perfect conditions with very few variables. I think that I was somehow able to set up a "muscle memory" from these repeated runs. I think that I have been able to bring this over to Loveland and be able to carve much better in ideal conditions.

John, Stoked to read this...it is a Big Deal to Finally Relax and be aggressive with our weight...and Relaxed anticipation allows us to see the Line and then Do the Line :- ) the same run over and over eleminates the Where are we Going now thing :) either we are riding the edge or the edge is riding us...Congratulations !!! 

Hey John,

I did the same thing earlier this season on firebowl, practicing turn after turn after turn to build muscle memory. when Roulette and firecut opened, those movement patterns where nicely imprinted, and the techniques that I used to struggle with on steeper terrain just started happening, time felt like it was slowing down in the middle of the turn. I felt something on my toeside yesterday on Switchback that I liked on what I thought was going to be the last run, and lapped another just to see if I could replicate it. I did, and now I know what I need to do to get that same feeling. Nice work, keep it up and catch you next time!

mario

• Like 3

John,

I was admiring your turns from the lift above Fire Bowl and you looked very smooth!  You and Mario made a valid point, that may lead me to re-think the rest of my season.  I too, have been having progression issues over the last couple of seasons (not discounting broken ankle, pneumonia and stupid crashes), but you've got me thinking I could probably use some repeated Fire Bowl runs, to work on the basics again and again, to regain that "muscle memory".  I do have breakthroughs, but more often than not, the group moves to a different run before I can replicate the feeling.  Good points, fellow Hooligans!  And again, great turns John!

Welcome to the 60's!

later...

James

• Like 2

Oh, finally they have a sale. Pass renewal is going to be $369. Better.

Now to convince the better half that it's a sound investment.

Going to disengage myself and get up on Sunday. I like my parents but missing out on riding days is just wrong!

• Like 1

Are you kidding!  This was like an east coast pow day!  

Actually I remember days like this in Killy.  1"-2" of heavy snow on rock hard ice.  Ahhhh.  Just like home.   How the hell did I learn snowboarding there?!?!

I had fun.  Others complained :)

Mario, hope you're feeling better.  Odd Job, hope you didn't kill yourself on those extra runs.

Will be there next week (now I seriously can't wait!)

• Like 2

Debated going up (but didn't). Looked like storm clouds in the mountains most of Saturday & Sunday. Hearing that the snow was "REALLY FIRM" makes me feel better about not going. A .25 on the Mario Scale means that I'm staying home to pull weeds.

Variable

Weather

grooming

snow

visibility

riding ability

whining

Neck is better, glad I didn't break a hip

check back with us in a few years about firm, I'm sure your opinion will change! 

another .25 would have been nice

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1