Note to New Members ×

Me.

KingCrimson

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAJfedXcdU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzAJfedXcdU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Concentrate on keeping your hands out in front of you at all times (where you can see them in your peripheral vision), other than that, things look like they're going well given your level of experience. I think it's kind of cool that you're basically starting on a top level board. A 16M radius is nice, but it will really shine when you have enough room to really let it run.

later,

Dave R.

Haha thanks. It's a fun little board..Big board. Same thing.

You know, I was keeping them up in front on the Burton, but this board is just so relaxed I have a lot of trouble keeping them up. I almost want to just chill as I carve.

I can tell it's hurting my angulation though, I have to bring a stick along with me. I hadn't ridden the other resort at Mt. High until last night, I can really let it stretch its legs though. One more resort to try at High. Supposedly it stays even more empty, and it's just blue runs all over.

King C, what roboteye said!! Keep those hands in front where you can see em. You ride a bike, are your hands ever down at your side when you ride a bike?? I think not!! By keeping your hands in front it will put you into a more aggressive stance, this will pay benefits as you begin to carve the steeper runs. Anothe bicycling trick to practice while carving is to look where you want to go. Rotate your head and pick something out on the side of the trail where you want to go, more head rotation the tighter the radius of the turn, regardless of the sidecut of the board. I have a 16 meter Oxy Proton and I can crank that thing into some small radius turns when I desire. Just want to say that you are looking good so far, holding that edge, letting the board carve. Keep it up:biggthump:biggthump

Thanks OVR! Can't wait to learn a thing or two or nine at ASSESS.

Right, the whole looking where you're going thing. Got it. I played a lot of "follow the leader" with my dad today, I noticed I had a lot of control in the radius respect. Duh!

I lost a toe block screw today on my last run, not on normal plates so everything got all screwed up, I hope I didn't break anything. Sure was interesting ejecting on every toeside, I'm glad I have a leash on that foot. As soon as I get that fixed..I'll start holding the handlebars. I'm rather surprised that I haven't been more conscious about that, because I witnessed the beauty in doing that when it went from a run of skiddy garbage to nice linked carves on the Burton. The edge hold on this board must be spoiling me!

And a little afterthought here, the whole board is just a complete Cadillac ride. The taper in the tail definitely is reassuring, I remember being locked into carves, getting scared and standing up, and still being locked. The taper lets you do whatever you want.

Come to think of it, I have some handlebars in the garage, I just have to remember the brakes don't do anything.

I have to bring a stick along with me.

You can also take two of those ski-boot toting handles with the little string and loop them together so that you have a long string with a handle on each end - this is much easier to carry than a stick when you are not using it ... prolly safer when you bail too.

That was a green run. We were just on it so that my dad could film me when it was nice and empty. It was technically a bunny slope do I didn't want to go fast and then have some horrendous accident with a beginner. It would be way too obvious it was my fault, and I'd scare them away from the sport. If there's an accident on the steep stuff (I've only been hit when it wasn't my fault..I swear) it seems like it's usually mutually agreed on that 1. Yes we were going too fast 2. Yes it's both of our faults. And then they carry on straightlining.

Get on aim.

one thing i saw in the video was a bit of rotation on the last toeside, looked like you were facing towards the nose too much. the best thing i've found for keeping your hands in front of you is a piece of pool noodle, like the floaties kids play with in the pool. nice and soft, wont break or break you if you fall on it. when using it, try pushing your arms in the opposite direction of the turn. like a goofy heelside, you push the bar forward and to the left. just make sure it's only your arms and that you arn't bending at the waist...

one thing i saw in the video was a bit of rotation on the last toeside, looked like you were facing towards the nose too much. the best thing i've found for keeping your hands in front of you is a piece of pool noodle, like the floaties kids play with in the pool. nice and soft, wont break or break you if you fall on it. when using it, try pushing your arms in the opposite direction of the turn. like a goofy heelside, you push the bar forward and to the left. just make sure it's only your arms and that you arn't bending at the waist...

...wait, what? Why would you want to be placing your arms away from the direction of the turn? Wouldn't pushing them to the left on a goofy heelside just result in your body counter-rotating towards the fall line, rather than where the board is going?

Am I doing it all wrong? :D

greg

I'll second that. When you transitioned from heel to toeside, your entire body twisted to the right. It looked really weird and unnatural. Keep that torso either in line with your bindings or rotating in the direction you are turning in.