Note to New Members ×

Brian Head, UT?

D-Sub

Considering a last minute jaunt up there. Can not believe how ridiculously rates are jacked up for holiday lodging. The info I am seeing is turning me off to the idea, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any sort of insider info

just need a bed and kitchenette. Only me and a friend.

Anyone?

From LA? Mammoth is hella closer and worlds better.

Take a look at Brianhead's website... it's like a blast TO the past, circa 1985 or so (now that lift 1 is open again). No high speed chairs. Back in the day chair 2 (the "big" chair" aka "Giant Steps"***) took 17 minutes to the top. Can't see how it'd be any faster now.

But there are some good pow stashes there that stay nice for days and days. Las Vegans don't ski pow too well.

All that said, I haven't been since 1991... or maybe 1992. For the cheap(er) route look for a motel in parowan or cedar city, and bring your hotpot to cook the ramen in.

Dave, it has been years since I was there last but remember lots of good times there. Back then I was on skis but remember a chair on the west side of the hwy that looked pretty good for laying some trenches on. Snow was always good quality also.

I stayed in Cedar City and did the drive up everyday. Don't worry about lodging and food, there is plenty to be had in Cedar City.

As for travel time I think it is equal to what Mammoth is, I-15 you can do 75-80 mph. 3 hours to Vegas and another 2.5 to Cedar. I think the drive from Cedar to Brianhead took about 40 minutes. Parowan is closer but not much in the way of motels and eateries.

Dave, it has been years since I was there last but remember lots of good times there. Back then I was on skis but remember a chair on the west side of the hwy that looked pretty good for laying some trenches on. Snow was always good quality also.

I stayed in Cedar City and did the drive up everyday. Don't worry about lodging and food, there is plenty to be had in Cedar City.

As for travel time I think it is equal to what Mammoth is, I-15 you can do 75-80 mph. 3 hours to Vegas and another 2.5 to Cedar. I think the drive from Cedar to Brianhead took about 40 minutes. Parowan is closer but not much in the way of motels and eateries.

Should have gone. Didn't. Seems to be a pattern here. Girl I was gonna go with goes back to work monday...

mammoth is closer, yes. it's also $83 fcking dollars a day, which I absolutely refuse to pay.

I think there's a high speed at BH now...I'll look again. Site doesnt seem that outdated to me...

Nope, take a look... all doubles and triples at BH. That's what I meant about it being outdated (it's really almost just like it was in 1985).

Agree with OVR that chair 1 ("new" chair on west side of highway (that was open all through the 80s)) would be good for carving. But having to ride slow chairs can make it a long day.

If you ever decide to go, check out the trees on chair 5 or the southern exposure on chair 7... fun off piste out there. Actually the groom on 7 would probably be best too because that's the "hard" lift so it doesn't get nearly as crowded as some of the others, and it's at the top of the mountain, so the snow's the best.