Note to New Members ×

I need advice on boots!

Guest jtgwin

Guest jtgwin

I have been carving for 8 years and am currently trying to decide the best way to get my girlfriend carving. I have a board and some bindings for her but I need some advice about boots. I saw someone selling cheap ($35) raichle 123's without liners and I am also looking at the raichle 413's which cost $125 but don't come with thermo flex liners. I know that neither of these boots would be stiff enough for my taste but I don't know how they would suit a new carver. I don't want her to buy a pair of boots that feel too soft by the end of her first season carving but we are college students without lots of $$$. Any thoughts? Any one have experience with either of these boots???

Thanks,

Joe

But make sure you get boots that fit proper.

I got a pair of boots on closeout that my girl said fit great when she tried them on. I even made her wear them around the house for an hour, and she still claimed they fit. But on the slope, it turns out they were too small and crushing her toes.

I should have pulled the liners so that I could see where her toes were, and how tightly her feet were stuffed into them.

Needless to say, the pain was too much for her to ride, so we had to switch her back to her softies.

those same 413s are $99 from Dan Yoja.

measure her foot in mondo size, and get that size. If its only a bit over a round number, you can probably go down a bit.

I highly doubt boots are going to be too soft in someones first season. especially a girl, unless she's huge and powerful

I've used the 413's for the past two seasons. I'm an intermediate carver and they are working out fine.

I would suggest getting the Thermoflex liners for another $99. Intec heels are a nice upgrade too. Both the liners and heels can be switched to her next boots. Also, the unused stock liners are a plus when selling the boots off later.

---Hugh

p.s. pass on the 123's unless money is a big issue.

jtgwin,

I would go with the 413's as they are a fantastic starter boot and they can be upgraded with parts as needed. Ex: Thermo liners and Intec heels.

The key to fit is to do a good job of measuring the foot length in cm. Remember, the boots only come in whole sizes so if she is a 25.3cm or even a 25.8 cm you should still go with the M25 boot. The second item to do is the "Shell test". This is described in detail HERE

Or give us a call when you have the boots and we can do a "verbal" walk through on the shell test. And you have 30 days to send those back if we need to change the sizing.

Let us know what else we can do for you.

Guest AlpentalRider

^^^ what he said. The folks at bomber are awesome. Michelle spent alot of time discussing the pros and cons between boots with me and helped me get exactly what I was looking for. Couldn't be happier with their customer service.