Note to New Members ×

Pristine groomers = MUCH EASIER!

SWriverstone

Had one of the best carving days of my life today at the local resort (Whitetail). It was raining and 45 degrees...and BEAUTIFUL! :1luvu:

I literally had my favorite slope to myself...and even by 2:30pm it was still pristine corduroy.

On my first run down, all I could think was "Omigosh...this is SO MUCH EASIER!!!" I entered every turn almost mechanically smoothly, and the board was rock-steady...no bobbles or bounces whatsoever. It felt like ice skating (except no ice—the snow was a bit soft and held edges beautifully).

For years I've been seeing all these "hero" photos of guys at impossible lean angles...and now I know why—they're all on pristine corduroy! LOL (Yeah I know—they're probably a lot better than me too.)

For the first time EVER in my carving career, I was carrying some crazy speed through my turns. A couple times I was going so fast that when I laid over into a turn I thought "No way the edge is gonna hold in this one," but it did—every time! It was frickin' amazing! :biggthump

I'm sure some folks will say "Yeah but you need to learn to carve on crap snow." Maybe...but learning to carve on pristine groomers is a heck of a lot better for being able to really concentrate on technique without the distraction of death cookies and icy patches and piles left by skidders.

My confidence level was boosted a couple notches...and for the first time I felt like I actually know how to carve! (As opposed to fighting the board all the way down through crap snow and feeling like I suck because of it.)

Scott

Scott, glad to hear that you were able to rip on some fresh cord. There is nothing better. At my local hill today fresh cord was everywhere and the crowds weren't bad at all. The only thing that could've been better was a carving board under my feet. I did have some carving boards(skis) and was able to take advantage of the uniform cord many times today. Either on skis or on a board there is nothing like leaving a trench or railroad tracks behind to check out on the ride back up the mtn.

Aaron

My problem is that I've been learning to carve for three years on beat-to-hell, chopped-up, solid-ice/granular/slurpee/shaved ice frozen junk! :rolleyes:

So carving on fresh cord is like suddenly driving on pavement after driving your whole life on rutted dirt roads. (Seriously---that's a perfect analogy!)

Scott