Note to New Members ×

Helmet documentary: Wipe Out

tpalka

The helmet question comes up every so often here and so I wanted to share a cool documentary. I got it through the Loaded Newsletter, watched it last night, and it convinced me to wear a helmet on those bike or skateboard grocery runs...

http://wipeout.knowledgenetwork.ca/wipeout.html

By default it'll play the trailer -- click the "watch film" button under the top thumbnail on the right.

Cheers,

tom.

The helmet question comes up every so often here and so I wanted to share a cool documentary. I got it through the Loaded Newsletter, watched it last night, and it convinced me to wear a helmet on those bike or skateboard grocery runs...

http://wipeout.knowledgenetwork.ca/wipeout.html

By default it'll play the trailer -- click the "watch film" button under the top thumbnail on the right.

Cheers,

tom.

Great Link! I was one of those that SWORE he would never wear a helmet and now I love my helmet. And having bashed my head twice and fairly hard with it on, I'll say I'm glad I've been wearing it.

Thanks for the link. If it makes 1 person think about it enough to start wearing a helmet, it worked!

I believe everyone should have the choice & hope they make the right one. 25 years ago we nearly lost (in a coma for a week) our son to a brain injury. Our Family was extremely fortunate for a 100% recovery. Tomorrow we will be celebrating Christmas with his Family and the Grandchildren. Something that easily could have turned out Very different.

I now wear a helmet in almost any activity I do, skiing, boarding, biking (motor, road & mtn) kayaking, windsurfing, even work.

When fit properly you don't even know you are wearing them, and often more comfortable, specially in winter activities.

Happy & Safe Holidays to ALL !!

I can remember thinking "why is it I wear a helmet mt. biking but go twice as fast on my skis and boards and don't wear a helmet" Answer: not smart-just lucky I guess. One day at Killington, I hit my head so hard that I heard the sound of glass shattering(problem was..there was no glass around). I was very concussed, disoriented, nausea, booting as I was crossing my tips down Bear Mt. I don't remember how I got back to my condo nor the nap that freaked people out since it lasted rather long and I don't nap. Since then, if it involves snow, speed, risk, I've got a helmet on. I had to push my best friend to get one on. We've been riding together for 20 years and I think after a tumble I took into the woods when my toeside washed out and my head dribbled off a tree and I came out still woozy, I think he saw the light.

Helmets can create "The Superman Syndrome" doing things with cohones larger than your brain. I have tried to influence others and whip out my retired Giro w/ anice large dent right where your frontal lobe rests when they doubt the value or merit. Knocked myself out with that one for a couple minutes. Had I not had it on, I'm fairly certain that I would have had significant long-term damage. I haven't stopped my passion for snow but I am more calculated in my risk taking and think about my own 2 little groms whom I would like to watch grow through the sports. They both got helmets for biking, skating, skiing or riding. Being able to live an exciting, vibrant life is cool.

I hope that more people choosing not to wear helmets see this film and make the change.

Cool, glad you enjoyed the movie! Regarding the superman syndrome, I had it for a season or so after getting my first helmet -- ran the trees on my teles a lot faster and harder. Then I heard about a few deaths in Colorado -- people getting their liver punctured on tree limbs, etc. That sobered me up.

Later I upgraded to a Sweet Trooper helmet, which is very light and feels like a hat, and all of the sudden I forgot I was wearing a helmet. After I started carving, the helmet already felt natural and didn't push me to do crazy stuff... I guess that's a reasonably natural progression.

Neil, thanks for the link to the article, interesting read.

tom.

While on the subject of helmets, make sure that yours fits properly. Won't do much good if it comes off during a fall. See a lot of helmets on people that don't fit very well. Anybody know if there is a safety standard rating for ski/board helmets? Was thinking they might have something like a SNELL or SFI rating on them but haven't seen anything.

newcarver, some Leedom models have a Snell Certification.

The foam padding was deteriorating in my good old Boeri, so I decided to replace it this season. I purchased a Leedom Scream Cut and was surprised to see a Snell Certification Number on it.

I got in a bike accident this semester at school. Since its just riding around campus at a leisurely pace and not for a long period of time(from class to class), I typically forgo wearing a helmet. This particular day was no different. I was riding home from class when my rear brake line snapped. Of course it was while riding down a fairly steep hill towards an intersection.

Panicked about riding into moving traffic, I smashed down the front brake. The wheel locked up of course and flipped me over the handlebars. Screwed up my arm pretty badly and knocked myself out for a few seconds. I couldn't remember where I lived or the date for a little while after, apparently gave myself a nice concussion.

The point is that you never know what can happen. A brake line snapping randomly? I'd never even heard of that happening. Obviously, this was on a bike, but as was already stated, we go even faster on the slopes. Also, as most of us know, ice can be just as hard as concrete. Anything can happen on the slopes. You can fall, you can hit someone, you can lose control and end up meeting a tree a little too personally, and other things beyond your control happen as well, like someone hitting you.

Like they say, even the safest driver in the world can get in an accident due to someone else's stupidity. The only difference between driving and boarding is that we don't have a car, seatbelt, or air bag to absorb our collision