Note to New Members ×

Home resort sizes?

Guest mikko

Guest mikko

Thought of something that might give most of you guys some laughs. Who has the smallest home resort?

I'll start.

Mustavuori (blackmountain)

2 runs.

lenght of the runs about 300 meters each.

vertical difference about 70 meters.

and I'm dead serious here. :cool:

Im there Mellow! get that spare room ready!

have you checked it out yet! Any word it was like the past season

like a 2"base with annual snowfall of 15" does the report go like this..

conditions today= Brick tommorow heavy snowfall up to 1" break out the powder skis! tommorrow the annual hillbilly ski festival run down from kentuky and West vagina.

ye haa!

I WIN!!!

Mt.Brighton in Michigan, you might have recognized it from the fricken awesome movie Aspen Extreme, thats the mound they start on when the train goes by and whatnot. Total vertical = 150 feet, beat that. Oh and even though i don't mention that as my home mountain in my profile, it is, it's just embarassing...

Well I typically ride at Mammoth Mountain in the California Eastern Sierras. 3500 acres, 3100 vertical feet, 385 average inches of snow (436" this year!!=) and 300 days of sunshine. California's highest ski elevation and longest season. I dont think its the largest in terms of acreage (Heavenly is larger in the US, and Whistler/Blackcomb has 7000+ in Canada), but its up there in vert.

I believe Whistler has a crazy 7.5 mile run. Im not sure how much of that is flats or whatnot though.

My home "mountain" is Blackstrap, 300 feet of glory.

As for the tallest vertical in North America, I believe it's Blackcomb with 5280 feet. I think the longest single lift might well be the Eagle Express gondola at Kicking Horse which serves nearly 4000 vertical feet.

There's an interesting map here, click on the stats button after all the flash has loaded, you can see overlays of other resorts on top of Whistler/Blackcomb to get an idea of how big that sucker is.

Guest Ghostrider

Bittersweet Ski Area!

Vertical: 350 feet (Top 50 feet were added 2 years ago)

Longest Run: .5 mi

Acres: 100

Magic Carpets: 1

Tow Ropes: 6

Doubles: 2

Triples: 3

Super High-Speed Quads: 1

Greens: 7

Blues: 5

Blacks: 3

The high speed quad will deliver you to the top in 45 seconds. It can get a bit crowded when 8 bus-loads of hoosiers show up. Its great race training..its like a moving Slalom course...

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by knoch

I WIN!!!

Mt.Brighton in Michigan, you might have recognized it from the fricken awesome movie Aspen Extreme, thats the mound they start on when the train goes by and whatnot. Total vertical = 150 feet, beat that. Oh and even though i don't mention that as my home mountain in my profile, it is, it's just embarassing...

When I went to U of M, we used to go to Mt. Brighton for something called Midnight Madness. Ski from 12-6am. We'd designate a driver, get dressed and hit the bar in Ann Arbor. Then at 11:00 we'd head for Brighton, along with bota bags and other stuff.

Brighton used to be a trash dump that got big enough so they put trees and a lift on it. What a joke.

When I was travelling in Iowa last year on I-29 S to Omaha, I saw a small brown info sign that said "Ski Resort, next exit" - We looked around and it was totally flat, not a hill in sight and the sign had no resort name. I am sure this may be the smallest ski resort. Next time I am back I will look into it.:cool:

if we're awarding prizes to the smallest resorts, why not have a few different categories? Sure, Brighton might have the smallest vert, but what about the southern wisconsin pride? One of my home mountains (i like to travel and enjoy all the excellent snowmaking and grooming that wisconsin has to offer), Wilmot Mountain, was built out of a quary that was no longer producing. This behemith standing tall with a vertical drop less than the length of my GS board has 8 lifts and 3 rope tows. Snowmaking capabilities are 100% of rideable terrain, and the early morning cord sings to you as you walk twoards the only quad chairlift on the hill in a high-pitched, heavenly voice that you translates to that perfect hero snow. and in less than 20 turns, your first lap is complete, but the fun has just begun, as the gentelman sitting next to you on the chair and his carharts remarks on the packers-bears rivalry (im from chi-town... DA BEARS)

Why i keep coming back to this resort i am not sure of, but i come for the free ticket and stay for the best january sub-zero hero snow i have ever ridden.

Originally posted by Randy S.

Brighton used to be a trash dump that got big enough so they put trees and a lift on it. What a joke.

So, you've seen the movie Aspen Extreme along with all the other people who truly believe that Mt.Brighton was once a garbage dump. First of all, it's not freakin big enough to have been one, second, that was a rumor started by the movie, i believe the quote was something like "I really need to get away from this garbage dump," but don't hold me too it because it's been a while since i watched it. They still do the 12-6 thing, but only once or twice a season now.

If we had any other Michiganders here i might have some competition for smallest total vertical feet. I'm pretty sure Alpine Valley is darn near the same number, also Canonsburg, and the remnance of Snowsnake, i never even got to ski there, but i took a wiz in their empty parking lot once, and theres one more that might be close in Grand Haven on the back of Five Mile Hill but i have no idea what it's called, and actually, one of you mathmaticians could probably calculate it for me...Its called five mile hill because you can see 5 miles out into Lake Michigan from the top of it, so someone go ahead and figure out the other 2 sides of the triangle for me. Other than those, the only resort i can think of thats under 300 feet of vert is treetops. Ha, okay i'm done ranting for now.

Guest Ghostrider

Here is a good list of the places I can remember...pretty much all within 2 hours of my house...wow it's kinda like summit county...

Timberridge Gobles, MI 240 ft

Mt. Brighton Brighton, MI 230 ft

Hanson Hills Grayling, MI 225 ft

Swiss Valley Jones, MI 225 ft

Treetops Gaylord, MI 225 ft

Apple Mtn Freeland, MI 220 ft

Skyline Grayling, MI 210 ft

Snowsnake Harrison, MI 210 ft

However, the winner is the old Kalamazoo Ski Club located right here in Kalamazoo, MI which closed down a few years ago, but if my memory serves me correctly it weighed in at a whopping 100 vertical feet.

My "home" resort. That is, the closest ski area to my house in Etobicoke, Ontario is Centennial Hill.

Vertical drop: 120 feet

1 t-bar, 1 poma and 3 runs.

It was built in the 70's out of landfill - that's right - garbage.

Don't laugh, this is also Bruce Varsava's home resort where he speed tests his Coiler prototypes.

hey ghostrider, i am absolutely certain your info on the vertical feet of mt.brighton is wrong. it's 175 top to bottom.

Oh, and hey, they call that a "resort"? Kinda sounds like a sledding hill to me with zero chairlifts.

Guest Ghostrider
Originally posted by knoch

hey ghostrider, i am absolutely certain your info on the vertical feet of mt.brighton is wrong. it's 175 top to bottom.

Oh, and hey, they call that a "resort"? Kinda sounds like a sledding hill to me with zero chairlifts.

Hey..I dunno..bust out your measuring tape if you want..but here is what I found..they aren't consistant..but I'm not seeing anything that says 150'

Mount Brighton (230 vertical feet) - http://www.hikercentral.com/ski/resorts/usmidwest.html

Mount Brighton Vertical Drop: 230 Feet -http://www.skimaps.com/page.php?cid=skiarea399

Mount Brighton Vertical Drop: 230 ft - http://www.onthesnow.com/MI/268/index.html

Mt. Brighton Ski Area 250-foot vertical drop - http://www.onlinecityguide.com/mi/howell/main.html

Mt. Brighton - 250' Vertical - http://www.mtbrighton.com **They MIGHT know what they are talking about on that one...**

Signed,

EL PRESIDENTE!!!!!!!!