Note to New Members ×

Ok, that was fun...

colintkemp

So, I took the Kessler KST 185 (hangl w/ OS2) out on Saturday at Sugar Bowl (Tahoe area) for my first real ride on it. I spent my first couple runs on my Donek Bomber FC 185, so when I first got on the Kessler, my edge-to-edge transitions were really slow - I basically felt like I was "lifting up" the board. Because of this, my first run on it was a bit awkward. When I got to the bottom, I decided that I probably had not really ridden the board correctly - I had treated it like the FC - I was trying to make shorter radius turns at normal speed.

My second run was worlds apart. I let the board go a bit (I don't know what my speed was, but I was going relatively fast) and focused on long GS turns. The sweet spot alarm suddenly went off in my head. The board performed like magic. Once again, our old saying "speed is your friend" proves to be true.

In the afternoon, I lapped one blue run (Trail Blazer, if you know Sugar Bowl - they've been blowing snow on it for about 3 weeks). The board was hot knife through butter. I tried to find choppy, skied up snow to see how the Kessler would feel through them: Titinal magic. It was like a super tanker bashing through big waves. As I got more comfortable, I also found that I could make sorter than expected radius turns; albeit, I did have to be moving at a full-tilt boogie.

Overall, I have a very, very favorable impression, which probably says a lot because I like narrow boards. Having never really ridden with a Hangl plate, it is probably fair to attribute some of my impression to it too. The performance of the Kessler's nose really stood out.

Bottom line: Great ride. Is it my everyday board? No. I think that honor goes to my Berserker (once I am not worried about snow coverage). That said, I could definitely spend a full day on it (until my leg fell off from the weight....).

Next test: Kessler vs. my 197 Burner.

Happy Holidays.

C