Note to New Members ×

Virus Extreme series - Vectran

TDSI

I've been on a shorter 160 Extreme Virus Vectran and an Extreme 170 Zylon. The Vectran had more snap to it and was significantly stiffer. It basically compared to a Madd 158 with an F3 flex, actually it was stiffer than the 58:eek:

If you can afford the upgrade to the Zylon I'd recommend it, the board will be less temperamental and ride smoother.

Ray is the Virus expert so I'd wait for him to chime in, I'd go off of his recommendation over mine for sure.

I've been on a shorter 160 Extreme Virus Vectran and an Extreme 170 Zylon. The Vectran had more snap to it and was significantly stiffer. ....

Snap and stiffness are not only determined by the fibre. It is more due ti the core and its construction.

Vectran is a fibre material that dos not provide the same performance than zylon does. Zylon has the ability to react more in a smooth way. Copleteleky the opposite of carbon. Vectran is something in between. You can have a very soft board witg no preload and no no snap and with a lot of zylon in it. The board provides a very smooth and forgiving "you can do whatever you want" ride. Vectran is just an attempt to achieve this state. Imagine you have a very snappy reactuve board with a strong core. Then put Zylon on Top of it. You'll have an sm-queen in the night, standing in your kitchen during the days. Frank still says: If Zylon wasn't that expensive I would put it in every board.

You'll have an sm-queen in the night, standing in your kitchen during the days.

:D :D :D Like that old saying:

"Ideal women should be a whore in the bed, shef in the kitched and a lady on the street. You know that you did everything wrong when your wife is a whore on the street, a lady in the kitche and a cook in the bed..."

Snap and stiffness are not only determined by the fibre. It is more due ti the core and its construction.

Vectran is a fibre material that dos not provide the same performance than zylon does. Zylon has the ability to react more in a smooth way. Copleteleky the opposite of carbon. Vectran is something in between. You can have a very soft board witg no preload and no no snap and with a lot of zylon in it. The board provides a very smooth and forgiving "you can do whatever you want" ride. Vectran is just an attempt to achieve this state. Imagine you have a very snappy reactuve board with a strong core. Then put Zylon on Top of it. You'll have an sm-queen in the night, standing in your kitchen during the days. Frank still says: If Zylon wasn't that expensive I would put it in every board.

Carbon has 4 times faster reaction than glassfiber so if you want a smooth nonsnappy board you could just choose glassfiber. Aluminum and Titanal(which actually is aluminim whit some Ti (and some others) atoms in it) is right in between, 2 times faster than glass, but a little heavier. By combining these materials you could get the same board. But you would need to know a lot on how to combine them:)

I really like carbon boards best. Just because they are more fun! Perhaps they dont make me the best rider in difficult conditions but I do have fun!!!!:biggthump

Carbon has 4 times faster reaction than glassfiber so if you want a smooth nonsnappy board you could just choose glassfiber. Aluminum and Titanal(which actually is aluminim whit some Ti (and some others) atoms in it) is right in between, 2 times faster than glass, but a little heavier. By combining these materials you could get the same board. But you would need to know a lot on how to combine them:)

I really like carbon boards best. Just because they are more fun! Perhaps they dont make me the best rider in difficult conditions but I do have fun!!!!:biggthump

WOW:eek:

TITANAL has ZERO titanium in it!!!!

maybe there is a language barrier here, but smooth / nonsnappy is the feel of Metal, not fiberglass...

Well I rode my Virus Gladiator tonight @ Mohawk.

That has zylon on the inside and carbon topsheet.

All I have to say is:

:1luvu: :1luvu: :1luvu: :1luvu: :1luvu:

I wonder if the board builders are experimenting with different types of titanal sheets. ei: titanium, aluminum, gold, silver...

I think there is a bit left to learn about metalsheets in boards. Thera are also different kinds of titanal, (or some even use ordinary aluminium but label it as titanal because it sounds better). Metal acts as a damper but not beacuse it reacts slower but beacuse it is heavier and has different bend caracteristics. For sure a metal layer can enhance egdegrip but we all prefer a different feel in our boards. I rode a two year old Zylon and really liked the feel of it. But I have yet to try a titanal board that I like the feel of. I think a thin layer of steel would make for an nice ride, because of flex caracteristics of it.:freak3: