Note to New Members ×

Board Length Advice: 166 or 163

jetskier

Pretty much decided to pick up an F2 Speedster GTS. Want a slalomish carving board for playing around on, making tight turns, steep-narrow-bumpy-crowded slopes, (here out west) etc. I'm vascillating on the length, 166 (9.8m SCR) or 163 (9.5m SCR). Been riding a Burton Ultra Prime 168 that I do OK on. Intermediate level. Have a Coiler 172AM (12m SCR) on order for more general riding. I'm 5'10 170-175 lbs. Any advice?

There's not a huge difference between the two, but I like the idea of a smaller sidecut for narrow or crowded days myself, especially since you aleady have a 12 scr board if you want larger turns for whatever reason. But obviously, theres not a huge difference between 9.5 and 9.8 though, and combined with the similar lengths, I doubt you would notice a difference if you could ride both back to back. Whichever is cheaper would be my deciding factor... but then again I'm a poor college student:o

I would go the 163 as long as it holds your weight and not too noodlish If you can find a MADD 158, and you have the cash, thats a sweet ride. I miss mine horribly. plus it can ride like a longer stick too.

In relation to what Jack says, get some thing that rides differently. I currently hop between my POGO Blitz 177 and POGO Overdose 162 and love going from riding a bucking bronc (weekdays) that loves speed to a tight turner that accomodates those days of tight trails, meat gates and other such slope hazards (weekend).

good luck in what ever you choose.

The 166 would be too close to your 172, get the 163.

I don't think that's the case at all. Sure, it's 3cm closer in length to the 172, but the SCR is nowhere near the 12.5 on the 172, nor is the waist or flex similar.