Note to New Members ×

Blue Mtn Updates

JBS

I'm not sure how they did it, but Blue is opening (after closing early Weds & Thurs) today with more terrain. Challenge will now be added to the mix along with Blue's (in)famous sixpack. Depending on how much temps drop tonight; Blue will be serving up either a delicious snow cone or the much sought after Blue Boiler..... with a layer of dust to spice it up.

See you on the slopes this weekend.

Enjoy!

Jesse

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jesse, thanks for the updates. I got a weekday pass this season, so won't make it weekends. Working nights 11-7, should put me there for first tracks (IF I still remember how to make them) as soon as I hear the coverage is good.

Looking out my window looking at the wonderous snow that has been falling for the past 4-1/2 hours. If it holds up this should groom out nicely for the weekend. Hitting the slopes 8am sharp Sat & Sun. Could we get a Challenge repeat this weekend? Chubz, calling Chubz..... Oh I forgot, riding might interfere with your recent hobby of stalking the UPS man.

see ya in the ruts!

Jesse

" recent hobby of stalking the UPS man." I can only imagine, after my fiasco with FedEx ! :angryfire

Looks like it is done here already, the 6-10" 'Storm of the Century' has a total accumulation of 2". :confused:

I just hope it stays cold enough for Blue to keep blowing is all. :) :) Monday morning (first tracks) looks like the day for me !

Loud and Clear I was out late morning thursday and Wednesday morning.

Wednesday

Challenge was rock solid cord, inpenetrable (sp) side slipping down it on my blitz sounded like an F22 flying directly overhead, literally, it was loud!!

Main Steet and Race was nice, tight granular

Thursday

Didnt get there until 10:30 for any early lunch break and only a few runs.

Piled up granular over frozen snowcat track, would have been a good day for metal.

Didnt get out this morning because baby was up most of the night, but I will have the OD lined up for take off on Sat, Sun and Monday hopefully.

Funny you should say stalking the UPS. I can hear them coming and I peek out the window to see if they are going to stop, nope. According to Bruce construction was scheduled to start yesterday or today with full assy by early next week. I was going to have it shipped to Pittsburgh while I am out there , but BV advises to just get it after the new year. I should have been pestering him all summer but the benefit is that all of the other T's he is building helps him refine his process, not that it needed help.

I was really digging that light blue and white flame job on the one posted.

I should be out in the morning unless heavy rain or if the wife pulls my plug.

Update

Monday was 8 F with 35 MPH, a bit bitter.

Friday- Snocone large granular, a little blown over crap. 3-4 runs packed it in awent home.

out of town until Jan 4 so enjoy if you go up.

with the rain looks like I am staying in...I went to Mountain Creek for 4 runs....one run open top to bottom....everyone in the parking lot on that run...LOL....they were for sure suicide runs....rode the madd....so happy that thing turns on a dime...got a leg burn and went home.

Have fun on your trip....I wanna come out to see your face when you ride the metal for the first time....make sure yoou post it up. And congrats on the baby!!!!!

Today was at least a 8 out of 10 day.... Good grooming, hard (hard) pack :)and just a bit nippy. All trails are open except Switchback and the new trail Dreamweaver; they should open tomorrow or Saturday. Felt great taking the Madd out for a little Challenge testing.... gotta love some pop on a decent pitch.

Get out this weekend, it should not disappoint.

Saturday and Sunday were both good days; except for the crowds that were at full force by 10am (man how I miss 7:30 openings). Gotta love being 100% open by the first weekend of January.

Calling Chubz!!! You have to get the Blitz out and hit Dreamweaver.... imagine a cross between Paradise and Switchback, but much wider and with a little more pitch. The snow was crappy on its grand opening day, but it should start settting up good later in the week.

Now I have to rest up until next weekend.... Rode Saturday morning, paddled Saturday night and then hit the groomers again on Sunday. Full body soreness.... I must be getting old.

Best comment of the weekend..... Skier on the ride up Challenge lift: "I saw you making turns down Razor's while laying down." :confused: and that was all he said. Not quite sure what he meant by that one.....

Jesse

I heard someone mention that Friday had 11,000 plus, new attendance record, they ran out of parking spaces and rental equipment.

Sticky sticky sticky this morning, but slow. Worked early and working late tonight. Best day yet. :biggthump Hero to the point of chuckling at what one could do with it, euro type carves to fiddling with seeing how just one little foot adjeustment in the booot could change the turn. Way to fun. It was that kind of super stiff semi wet, that comprseed stuff. Razor was head inflating just wish I had the Blitz but the OD was fun. It was cool making turns without worry of the board skidding out, and on some toeside, looking out the corner of my goggles to see the slope only a shoulder away.

Rode up with a couple snowboard ski patrol and they thanked me for leaving huge ruts on Razor:rolleyes:. Another guy said, "hey dont they only do that in France?" got about 12 runs in then left, Dream Weaver has much much potential, I dug it but only took one run, it was asking for the blitz, or new Coiler.

have not heard from Bruce,:(

trying to get a couple other sessions in this week, we'll see.

Tuesday morning: deceiving groomed ......NOT!!!!!! over that sticky stuff from Monday that boilerplated overnight. I have seen some bulletproof stuff, but this took the cake. Maybe if I had new Coiler Metal freshly sharpened, but the blitz kept wanting to spit me into the woods, wasnt worth it. I cant wait until Dream Weaver sets up for a hero day, its gonna rip!!!

I stopped by late this afternoon on my way home from a customer visit. I thought the other day was bullet proof. I took two runs and headed home. Loose granular with sizes like superballs, you know the kind that you can feel pelt on you legs and pants. The best part was the groomer tracks that had been polished to a high gloss about 3 feet in width and one running parallel with the slope about 20 feet apart and lighting fast. Too treacherous for me. The types of conditions that could end a season.

the top of Razor was qquite entertaining to pick oneself down. on the lift ride up, I could see various yard sales of skiers on the slope and people unable to slow descent, until they hit a granular pile, which were 30-40 feet apart. Top of Razor had never bothered me until today, I was a little white knuckle fevered.

Why is it that the days JBS goes without me are hero and those days I can make without him, it's:barf:

Hope it sets up for the weekend.

Why is it that the days JBS goes without me are hero and those days I can make without him, it's:barf:

Chubz just make sure you don't come out this weekend, I need to have all the knee deep POW to myself:D. Well it might not be knee deep, but it looks like our first semi-POW day for the season. It will also be Scott's first day out for the season. Hopefully he will not be floundering around too much. Have to watch the weather reports closely to see what boards to bust out Saturday. Osin & AM might be the combo for Sat and then the RC180 for soft groomers on Sunday. Can't wait......

Nice this morning, razor didnt open until 10;30 but just a touch too soft, it would bootm out on heavy truns so I just let the blitz run and tilt. DW was nice. Saw JP1 but didnt ride with him time was limited. It should allow sfor a nice base for this new stuff and hero for sunday

Osin for Sat

blitz for Sun.

Coiler being assemblied today at 4pm.

Might be here by next weekend if he can get some test runs on it.

"razor didnt open until 10;30 but just a touch too soft" , Dang I packed it in 5 minutes too early, Maybe even I could have gotten an edge in? Anyway, legs were wasted :( it was the 'right thing to do'.........Good seeing you Chubz, riding looked Awesome.

John

didnt mean to give the brush off, time was limited and that was the best snow they have had in my last few visits, didnt want to see it get scraped to boilerplate again. when it comes to Blue, I tend to get cord greedy when ti presents itself.

I did see you making some turns at the bottom, you're not as rusty as you think you might be.

we'll get some turns

See you later

Jesse

Great riding today with you. nothing better than ripping down razor once they have it open again, hoots and hollers from the lift, a game of cat and mouse and then gliding into the lift line to see a big old grin on your face, which usually indicates a :biggthump run. you need to call in sick for next forecast we have that expects that kind of snow. empty razor, with prefect groom. days like today make up for those days of crap conditions.

Left on a good note. My mid section feels like I did about 5,000 hanging crunches. I got more inquiries and compliement the last two days than I have in the last year.

Gotta get back to the Steeler game. It should set up nice for next sat and sunday as long as the race team doesnt steal our thunder.

Later

Greg

The guy the rides with Jesse

I second that.... a GREAT day! I will not be able to get out again until the weekend, so make some turns for me. I'm sure the Sunday night game put a smile on your face:D. Way to go!

See ya in the trenches,

Jesse

He whose name is Jesse, is he who rides......

Spent the morning in a Blizzard! They had most of the guns blowing directly under the SixPack and guess where it was aimed :(. MANY :AR15firinunhappy people. Why they didn't just run the Quad :confused: if they wanted to blow snow under the SixPack is beyond me. I miss the earlier opening time, Otherwise, a good day.

Had some time yesterday morning to get some turns in before the insurance adjuster showed up at my dad's. Hop on the lift with two skiers (M & F).

Starts off with hows is it up there?

I reply, stiffest wind of the year, razor is stiff but some nice trace sno on top to hold a n edge and maintain your speed, challenge is wind scoured and much stiffer than Razor, stay on Razor.

Oh thanks, hey do you know Jesse Smith?:barf:

............. yes, yes I do, I ride with him all the time.

Oh we are good friends with him, this is Andrea and I am Tim

from there on all I heard was blah blah blah;)

I had a good run there of no Jesse Smith inquiries. Just wondeirng if you put them up to it to break the streak. We chatted the whole way, good folks, small world

Now I am going back to being the guy that rides with Jesse Smith.:smashfrea

Greg sorry to hear about the streak, but hey there is always next season! Tim and Andrea are both super nice, their kids have basically grown up with ours.

On a more serious note: Family commitments will be limiting my slope time the next couple of weeks. Not too big of a deal, only the best conditions we've had in oh I would say ever :(. Have to help someone move this Sunday and next Saturday I have to go to NY. So I'll be out with Scott tomorrow and one of his buds and then not out until next Sunday. Unless someone convinces me to play hooky next week because of insane conditions.

By the way Cafercr35 when are you coming out to play? I know Greg can be a little intimidating at first, but he really is a nice guy :D.

Jesse