Note to New Members ×

Show your oldies!

BlueB

Here's a few more.... (apologies for high/large res)

TWSnowboarding Mag, First Issue ever, Fall '87

Snowboardscan0005.jpg

Snowboardscan0007.jpg

Winterstick and Sims ad (Craig Kelly R.I.P.) in same mag:

Snowboardscan0008.jpg

Snowboardscan0006.jpg

Burton Catalog:

Snowboardscan0001.jpg

Snowboardscan0002.jpg

Snowboardscan0004.jpg

Remember when only a few places allowed boarding? (list from Burton catalog):

Snowboardscan0003.jpg

Also remember when we had to be "certified" before we could even buy a lift ticket?

Snowboardscan0009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bunch of old boards in my garage but they're not particularly where they could be photographed at the moment.

Instead here are some old shots from before I had any decent camera gear or had learned how to use what I did have.

This is probably very much the Euro perspective. Burton was very trendy but hugely expensive in the UK - £500 for a board, which is the same as they cost here now, both stupidly expensive. It was cheaper in Finland (where I lived some of the time), but still expensive.

1990-1991 Season/ Wiegele's

O'Neil powder suits plus Windsurfing Cheimsee gear. All hardbooters except for one. Mostly Niedecker. Middle shot taken from a 195 Lacroix Mono. Antennas are no longer as long as that in the last shot! Wiegele was always snowboarder friendly; CMH had problems with some traditionalists (who once voted me an "honorary skier" because I could ride rings around them).

00001462.jpg00001469.jpg00001474.jpg

1992/3 season - Aonach Mor, Scotland

00001633.jpg00001630.jpg

Mark 1 Nitro Scorpion with Fritschi bindings, Dynafit 3F Comp S boots. Scotland (that's a snow fence). 15cm of wet snow on pink granite: the Nitro was the perfect powder board for that, you just had to know where the granite was. On the right is the first line I put in at the summit of the resort that day. I just put line after line down there as I was the only person on the lift. There were no other snowboarders at the resort at all, which was pretty common at the time. Snowboarding was picking up generally, but the UK wasn't leading the charge.

The Scorpion was the first of the "noo skool race" boards in Europe - symmetrical, sensible, quick, revolutionary. Before that the choice was basically Burton Asym-Air clones or straight Asym race boards, which just seemed wrong to me.

1993/4 season - Big White or Sun Peaks?

I broke the nose of my Scorpion at Vernon, and bought the only Alpine board I could find in BC as a replacement. Later I bought another Scorpion.

00001699.jpg

Santa Cruz GS board, Sims bindings, Dynafit boots. I think this was Sun Peaks (way snowboarder's right), but it could have been Big White. The purple was very fashionable - I worked in Paris so this was Degre 7/ Patrick Vallecant stuff.

1996/7 Wiegele's

I may as well finish the oldie sequence... Here's a Burton Supermodel (Mark 1) 168, which was the first real powder board I owned. Riding this, versus riding a race board in powder was night and day: it turned me into the fastest rider in the heli rather than one of the crowd. People still argue about that, but there it is. The first shot is the board plus the Burton step-in bindings of the day, which worked ok for me although they seemed inelegant and you had to watch your fingers. In the back of the shot is my second Scorpion; that one I picked up in Annecy (the first was from Grenoble).

The final shot is what made me take up photography rather more seriously. This was taken by Lorne Green who was the staff photographer that day. He's rather good. That's the Supermodel in use.

00001995.jpglg.jpg

Yup, I rode the 174 on bigger days - a different colour if I remember right. I've still got my Supermodel somewhere about. Would be a respectable board even today. They were the standard heli-board for years, superseded only by Fish etc.

I still have my 174 Supermodel...'97 IIRC, blue, but a more "royal" blue than the one in the pic, and a lime green base. This is the board that moved me from skidding to carving....beautiful profile. It's still in great shape, too. Don't ride it much anymore, tho.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Kurt, very cool!!

I see very few shots of riders on Slickers!!

Only 300 were ever made. One season, three lengths, made in California by

skate legend Steve Cathey.

Can you send me a high res version of you riding a Slicker. I would like to use it in oldsnowboards when I get it going again.

Very cool!!

Yes my K-Way is tucked into my bib pants, yes I'm wearing Vuarnets!!!. :D
I'll see your K-Way and Vuarnets, and raise you earmuffs... Haa! Haa! Ha!

1983, Gaspe Peninsula, Burton Powdergun.

mig-fs10.jpg

I never got to see a Slicker back then. Only saw them in mags. Do you still have it?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

1986, Switzerland. Very, very few snowboards around, I guess a lot fewer than in the US at that time. I had this 'Snowfish', the idea was you could use it as a waterski in summer and as a snowboard in winter. Downside was it didn't have steel edges so you could only use it off piste. But it did work ok in powder if you managed to keep your feet in the rubber strap bindings. The other pic is me in exactly the same spot but 25 years later, time flies:D

post-8782-141842356551_thumb.jpg

post-8782-141842356554_thumb.jpg

1986, Switzerland. Very, very few snowboards around, I guess a lot fewer than in the US at that time. I had this 'Snowfish', the idea was you could use it as a waterski in summer and as a snowboard in winter. Downside was it didn't have steel edges so you could only use it off piste. But it did work ok in powder if you managed to keep your feet in the rubber strap bindings. The other pic is me in exactly the same spot but 25 years later, time flies:D

I wonder if the building behind you survived without repair:D

I like the pair of shots. I remember those funny boards without edges... at the time I was mostly on piste so I could not see how I could even get to the off-piste without edges, hence I waited a couple more years.

Very cool bit of history!!! Those are really cool boards!! Nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Love that board!!! I have always enjoyed longboards. This is one of the earliest.
I made my first carves on groomed snow on that board. I sewed some velcro on the heel straps to keep them from becoming loose and a leather loop at the top of the backside of my "Sorel like" boots. Passed the heel straps through those loops and that gave me enough heelside support to carve on soft groomed snow.

Biggest error I made was going from the Powdergun to the Performer Elite 150 (square tail, red two-piece bindings). That board couldn't even turn well in powder... Haa! Ha! Ha!

Edited by Mig