Note to New Members ×

ATV vs Tanker

Gtanner

Ok time for another direct comparison question.

I'm looking to upgrade to a slightly longer freeride board (currently on a 163 3800 dynastar). This is a great board, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't carve amazing well and gets a little squirly at speed...so I'm wondering about a Tanker 172 or a Prior ATV in the same range.

Any thoughts? Looking for the best of all worlds (I know alot to ask)...soft-boot carving on groomers, trees, bumps, pow....

-Gord

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=18952

What I was looking for may be different than what you're looking for, but I was considering the ATV and the Tanker, and a few Doenk's. I ended up with a (used barely) 192 Tanker. I freaking love it. If you'll read my thread everyone told me to go big with the Tanker. I was a little worried about about the thinner waist of the 192, but with the catek FR2's you can get some nice lift off the board, which helps keep your toes out of your trenches.

I'm into riding the whole mountain searching for a 'big mountain' feel and for forgotten powder stashes - I think the Tanker is a blast. It looks like a 192, but rides like a much shorter board.

twelsch

Don't overlook the 4WD, Prior's true, higher end do it all board. The AWD is more entry level. I know some guys who love the tanker in Pow, (i.e. Big Mario) but I don't know any who prefer to carve on it. I have only had my '08 4WD out 6 times but it's performed exceptionally well in POW, cinder blocks, crud, groomers, and slush.

I also have a '07 POW stick that is a hoot in POW, and no slouch on everything else, but the 4WD is a rockin carver which is a treat when the conditions are right. It is now my one board to grab when traveling.

Al

Don't overlook the 4WD, Prior's true, higher end do it all board. The AWD is more entry level. I know some guys who love the tanker in Pow, (i.e. Big Mario) but I don't know any who prefer to carve on it. I have only had my '08 4WD out 6 times but it's performed exceptionally well in POW, cinder blocks, crud, groomers, and slush.

I also have a '07 POW stick that is a hoot in POW, and no slouch on everything else, but the 4WD is a rockin carver which is a treat when the conditions are right. It is now my one board to grab when traveling.

Al

I think you mean Prior's 4x4. I own an older 169 and have ridden it on groom with HB's, early season only. Any 4x4 is to skinny for anything but HB's and is not an all-mountain board at all. You could ride it all over the mountain (I think) but it's much much more of a carve specific board than anything else mentioned in this thread. It's stiff (relative) and has a very low profile tail and nose compared to anything you'd call an all-mountain board that you could carve on.

just my opinion

twelsch

Lots of us have the 4wd/4x4 or similar designs like the Coiler AM. They are marketed as all-mountain hardboot boards, and that's what I use mine for.

However, I know Gord already has a Coiler AM so I assume he's looking for something wider/softer. Gord, I don't think the ATV is enough different from what you have - I'd look at the Tanker. I have a 200 that I love.

Lots of us have the 4wd/4x4 or similar designs like the Coiler AM. They are marketed as all-mountain hardboot boards, and that's what I use mine for.

However, I know Gord already has a Coiler AM so I assume he's looking for something wider/softer. Gord, I don't think the ATV is enough different from what you have - I'd look at the Tanker. I have a 200 that I love.

Agreed, Gord is looking for soft-boot carving on groomers, trees, bumps, pow.... (his words). Then Algunderfoot suggests an 4x4 / 4wd which relative what Gord is looking for is really pretty darn carve specific, seeing as it predicates riding with hardboots.

If Gord already has a Colier AM, then my only suggestion would be get a tanker which is larger than your Colier AM. And I don't even know how long your Colier is.

twelsch

Hahaha thanks for clarifying Neil,

I already have a 172 Coiler AM and love it. I guess I'm looking at something softboot-specific that isn't going to fold like a noodle when I throw it on edge but isn't a monster to get around in some trees.

My wonderful wife offered to buy me a board for my birthday...so now I have the horrible stress ;) of figuring out something that will either replace something in my quiver or compliment said quiver.

Current quiver (for those who care)

172 Coiler AM

184 Coiler PR II

158 Volkl tiger

163 Dynastar 3800

Thinking of getting rid of the dyanstar and replacing it with a fun freeride board that can handle speed, being thrown on edge and taken into the trees/pow for some fun (depends on the trip).

So I know someone is going to chime in with the Schtubby...and I'm tempted...but looking for something that will compliment what I currently have and not necessarily replace my AM that still has a few seasons left.

-Gord

Comparing my Tanker to my AM, the Tanker is a much smoother ride but still holds an edge really, really well. They weigh about the same, even though the Tanker is 28 cm longer and 3.5 wider. I haven't had the Tanker in tight trees yet, but I've taken it through middling bumps with success.

If you're looking at the Prior lineup, why not a Khyber? To me your Coiler is so versatile, you would need to change it up quite a bit to make it worth your while.

To replace the 3800 163, get the 169. It's stiffer and handles the speed better, but still nimble in the trees. (No, my spare one is not for sale ;) )

To compliment the quiver, keep the 163 for the trees and get a big Tanker for everything else. It rides like a supersized softbootable 4WD or AM. It's a bear in trees.

ATV feels right in between the Tanker and 4WD.

Wow, a thread where i've ridden both boards and can actually give a comparison...

Like everyone else has mention, if you're looking for a softboot board, then either one will be awesome.

I had a 182 tanker (now broken) and still have a 161 atv. The tanker is way better in powder than the atv (no trees that is). This is not to say that the atv sucks in powder, it's just not as good and doesn't feel quite as great.

The tanker, is a pretty damn good carver, but not as good as the atv on harder/icier conditions. Edge transitions and as a board overall, the atv feels a bit more nimble and agile. This is probably due to the 20mm in waist width difference ('07-'08 tanker) and and 21cm length difference.

The tanker is more damp than the atv, and weighed practically the same ('07-'08 model) as the atv ('05-'06 model - don't think there have been any significant changes other than graphics available). Tanker is a super light board, not just for its size, but just in general (I think the older models are a little bit heavier, but still light).

ATV is also awesome with hardboots. It was my transition board for going from soft to hard - great to learn on, and to use as an all-mountain hardboot carver (a little soft in the nose with HBs though, so be careful). I have yet to try the tanker with HBs - although i did pick up a 192 to replace my broken one, and it's only 7mm wider than the atv (i'm looking forward to it).

Side cut radius on the two lengths you're looking at are comparable, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. For me, the tanker definitely held the larger radius carves at speed a little bit better, but that's 161 atv vs. 182 tanker (9m vs 11.2m scrs). Both were able to make nice tight carves even with my lack of skills.

Skidding both boards when needed was not a problem at all, but I felt the tanker was easier to re-hook back up into a rail following a skid. Both very friendly in this aspect though.

Kind of long winded there, but agree with what everyone else says.

ATV = better carver dedicated board that is more than capable and enjoyable all around the mountain, even in powder up to 10-12" (haven't taken it in anything deeper).

Tanker = better all around all-mountain board that excels in powder. very capable carver, except on icy crap, and not quite as nimble/agile as the atv.

Whatever board you get though, i doubt you'll be disappointed. Haven't ridden your current board, so I can't help you with any direct comparisons there.

I would suggest a Winterstick ST. Stiff flex, large radius, holds a edge on anything, and will plow through whatever you throw at it. They are built out of Wagner Custom factory so build quality is very high. I've ridden the 166 for 3 years and love it.

What you ask for is an all mountain board good in the trees good on hardpack carves like a Donek or Sword but is soft boot board.

I am still pissed of at them for something they pulled with outfitting my snowboard staff (all the senior instructors and all the certified instructors and clinicians at Ragged)a few years ago. made a deal and then welched on it.

But, BUT, get an Arbor Woodie. This thing in soft boots with a good stiff binding or something like my SIS high back and performance boot will out carve any Burton or Rossi race board with hard boots. I twill go into the trees, you can whip it around using independent leg action in a six foot arc iin the bumps. You can lay down trenches all over the mountain just like with a Donek or Coiler in soft boots if they are aggressive all mountain ones not park specific bathroom slippers.

Looking at your other boards I would suggest if you are 160 to 190 LBs get a 162 if over that but under 250 go with the 166. you do not need to go longer as the woodie if ridden well will float even in Idaho pow. If yo rally want to float and speed most time in really lightweight pow get the Woodie wide in the same sizes otr if borderline get the shorter one.

I have put over 40 folks onto Arbor boards and over 25 of them were Woodies. Not one single complaint from anyone. Put some onto park Arbors some onto Womens specific Arbors , and evey one loves thier arbors. Plus even for full time instructors an Arbor is a 7 to ten years board. They are REALLY that well built.

Grandpa Wolf

I have ridden tankers and an arbor 166 woodie in late day 14 inch of fresh New England snow turned in to massive "Harbor Chop" hillocks and valleys. The tanker blew through the Haystacks like they were not there, but the woodie kept up fine and did not bounce around like a paint mixer which was the feeling of being on the tanker. The tanker alas felt like it was taking you for a ride " hang on" while the woodie felt like you were driving a Porche down a slightly bumpy old mountain road

GW

+ 1 on the arbor for all mt. ruler.

The a-frame loves the pow, rails the cord & blasts thru the crud & chop w/out getting bounced around. Damp ride that's still nimble in tight trees.

I'm 180# 6ft, and turn aggressively on&off piste, on the 170 I was wishing for the same board in a 175 or so. It's a quiver killer exept for your 184 coiler.

also the most beautiful boards made

post-5508-141842259568_thumb.jpg

On the current Arbor web page, there is no "Woodie" model.

So, is "woodie" general reference to Arbor, or the name of a model no longer made.

Lastly, if no longer made, which contemporary model matches the "Woodie" specs?

Thanks!

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cuser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Just for comparison sake, I have had both a 192cm Tanker and a 200cm. A Prior ATV 171cm. and a O-Sin 169cm. The 200cm is a great go fast powder board. The 192cm carves decent and is still good in the fluff. The ATV does ok at both, better for learning to carve because it’s forgiving. The O-Sin I would stick to in softies because you can over power it in hard boots (or at least my fat ass did). If I had to choose one of those boards for all around I would get the 192cm. Tanker again. I also have a 178cm Dupraz and so far it’s the best powder board I have ever ridden and it still carves very good, but I do only ride it now in softies, because I have come close to folding the nose a couple of times in hard boots. The best carving mid fat board I have ridden is the Donek Tucker model; it is a custom 181cm. Incline with a waist about the same as a Tanker 24.1cm and the older Tanker’s are 24.2cm. , but it is stiffer so you can push it harder on the groomers, but it is not quite as good in the POW. And it can also handle being ridden in plates or softies. At 200lbs. I need a little stiffer board and the longer you go the bigger the sweet spot! If I had one board for softies this would be it and I am not afraid to use it with Hard Boots.

If you prefer plates on all around riding, and like to carve hard with some snap a Donek Axxes might be the ticket. A little damper version In a Coiler AM or a Prior 4WD. So many choices? Why not get a couple of used ones and figure out what you like best. A used board you can usually try a few times and if you don’t like it, sell it and not loose much if any thing at all? The new ones will cost you, but that’s OK, since you will be getting what you want! I hope this helps? (This is just my opinion with the 1<sup>st</sup> hand experience I have had with these boards)! Drop me an email if you have any other?:boxing_sm

<o:p> </o:p>

Best of luck! Fanman

Wow thanks for everyone's comments.

So a few more comments;

Looking for a soft-boot board that is very versatile, but can hold an edge. To be honest, if it's harder snow conditions or icy, the coilers are coming out, so this will be a more soft-snow oriented board that can handle carving on the softer or tracked-out grommers aswell.

I've pretty much dropped the ATV from my search and am leaning towards the tanker (love the '08 Maori inspired graphics)...although the arbor does look interesting (but it's so pretty that I'd have trouble taking it off the wall to ride...god forbid I ever scuff the topsheet).

Weight is ~205lbs, ex-racer and agressive carver. Freeride setup uses some re-inforced burton drivers, technine pro bindings and burton elevators for extra leverage/stiffness.... So I'm looking for a board that can still hold an edge and provide some pop when asked.

I'm reluctant to go over 172cm due in order to keep some manuverability in trees/bumps.

Thanks again for all the comments, any further thoughts are appreciated.

-Gord

Wow thanks for everyone's comments.

So a few more comments;

Looking for a soft-boot board that is very versatile, but can hold an edge. To be honest, if it's harder snow conditions or icy, the coilers are coming out, so this will be a more soft-snow oriented board that can handle carving on the softer or tracked-out grommers aswell.

I've pretty much dropped the ATV from my search and am leaning towards the tanker (love the '08 Maori inspired graphics)...although the arbor does look interesting (but it's so pretty that I'd have trouble taking it off the wall to ride...god forbid I ever scuff the topsheet).

Weight is ~205lbs, ex-racer and agressive carver. Freeride setup uses some re-inforced burton drivers, technine pro bindings and burton elevators for extra leverage/stiffness.... So I'm looking for a board that can still hold an edge and provide some pop when asked.

I'm reluctant to go over 172cm due in order to keep some manuverability in trees/bumps.

Thanks again for all the comments, any further thoughts are appreciated.

-Gord

Never Summer, look into them.

I own two tankers and the only board that I'd dump my tanker 177 for would be a titan TX, would be lovely if they made it in a bigger size and that's the main reason I stick with the tanker 177 for now. the biggest titan is 169