Note to New Members ×

Video review of Coil Schtubby 171

gdboytyler

Here's a short video of me riding my new Coiler Schtubby 171 at Mammoth in some soft, carvable conditions at Mammoth (Far West run ch.26).

Here’s a video of me riding a custom Donek FC 165 at June mountain (Deer Bowl run) from a couple of years ago.

My video evidence shows, my riding is pretty much the same on both the Coiler and Donek in soft, carvable snow.

Here’s another short video showing the Coiler on some harder conditions:

I did get some shots taken of me doing some laid out carves in icy conditions, but unfortunately, due to some technical difficulties, that footage got lost.

When it came to hard, icy conditions, that is where the Schtubby shone brighter than any board I've tried (actually on par with a metal Prior). With Donek 165 FC (olympic), Swoard 161M (1st Gen) and Madd 158 (3rd Gen), I was able to do laid out carves only in good snow conditions. With the Schtubby, I was doing laid out carves on icy black diamond runs. Before the Schtubby, I avoided boilerplate, icy conditions. After the Schtubby, hard and icy conditions became fun.

With the Schtubby, I also found that I was generally riding at a noticeably faster pace; especially noticeable when conditions got cut up. The dampness of the board, correct flex for my weight, it just made me feel more comfortable when riding fast.

With other alpine boards, I avoided moguls; the boards felt too stiff. With the Schtubby, moguls were fun. The Schtubby is the longest alpine board I've ridden in moguls. I still find moguls easier to handle on a short freestyle board or Dupraz D1. I think a Schtubby 158 could be my ultimate board for the moguls.

Before the Schtubby, I would ride the Donek 165 whenever conditions were good and I would ride the Madd 158 when conditions were icy, crowded, slushy or bumped up. With the Schtubby, I’ll ride it in all conditions except for powder.

The Donek will be hitting the classifieds next winter and the Madd is now my designated rock board.

The Schtubby is the best looking, hardest carving, most versatile board I’ve ridden to date.

Some specs:

Coiler Schtubby 171: 20cm waist, 13.2m scr, 155cm contact

Donek FC 165: 20.6cm waist, 13.0m scr, 149cm contact

That was a really nice looking board, I'm surprised I figured out what it was, but that was at the point where you guys were long gone!

The run you guys pointed out to me after I rode the lift was pretty good, but I timed it just right so that the snowcat was blocking the shallower part, making it so that I took the steepest run that I've done on hardboots; I skidded more than I would've liked.

• 2 weeks later...

those are some nice looking boards; look nice and stable

critique time! :D

try to be more active between your turns, meaning bend your knees and press into your turns then in the transition lift back up to standing (DONT LOCK YOUR KNEES OUT WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!) but get back to a comfortable position; what this will do for you is reset your hips and knees to begin fresh and continually aggresive pressure.

it'll increase consistency between turns and allow you to aggress onto the edge with renewed vigor