Note to New Members ×

Brotherly love.

photodad2001

I got off the lake today and had stopped in at the local general store to pick up some necessities for the day. An older gent had walked up to me and asked me if that was my "sailboard" on top of my car. (Ohio) I didn't correct him but said "yes". He then started to tell me about how he grew up in Cali and that he had windsurfed back in the early 80's. He asked me where I went and I told him about the 2 best places, granted not near what the west coast had to offer, but still the best in these parts. We then walked outside, after I had purchased my goods, and began talking about the "experience".

It had been many 'o years since he had felt the wind on the water and he admired my humble equipment and I could see the yearning in his eyes as his fingers ran down the rails of my board. I told him about the group of windsurfers that often met at the "Hydro-bowl". He started interogating me for information about gear. I know what you're all thinking.... "not more than $100!!!!" :D I got his name and number and told him that a good friend of mine had some older equipment to get rid of, an old Fanatic and Bic Rumba, along with some smaller sails. I said he could get a mast and boom off e-bay. He was stoked and said he'd at least come down to the lake to watch.

That's what it's all about. Not glam or knowing a "big name". Finding a stranger and making a friend. Maybe a friend for life.

Tell him he is wasting his time if he doesn't buy the latest sailworks hucker on an Isonic 2008 board :-)

With a custom fin :-)))))

Great to hear you found a convert mate, windsurfing is great.

Have been having a 'few problems' with dickhead kiters where I windsurf taking me out, but when there is wind and out there with a few friends (both kiting and boarding) sure is a great sport ;-)