Note to New Members ×

Barfoot

photodad2001

I've heard a lot about old boards here and the pioneers of the sport, but I haven't heard any mention about Chuck. It's all either Jake or Tom. Is it because he didn't make alpine boards? The Stealth series he made were some nice freeride carving boards and I also had a couple of his older boards for freestyle that were pretty grippy. Barfoot's just doing the longboard skateboards now, but he was there in the beginning with Burton, Sims, Winterstick, and Avalanche. Anyone else ever ride a Barfoot?

post-6711-141842256031_thumb.jpg

There was something about Barfoot here; my mate Ken used to ride for him. If you follow the links in that there's an article about Barfoot, the history and all that stuff. Ken still has a bunch of old Barfoot boards around the place.

Over here in Eurp I thought at the time that the name was maybe made up and something to do with barefoot waterskiing; well it was long ago and far away.

When you say "stealth" I remember the Aggression Stealth, but that wasn't a Barfoot board as far as I know... you must be talking about another board?

When you say "stealth" I remember the Aggression Stealth, but that wasn't a Barfoot board as far as I know... you must be talking about another board?

The Stealth's were the last Barfoot snowboards made and was actually the entire line those few years. I also had the Woody and the old square nosed half-pipe. My friend had the freestyle which was the same board with differnt graphics.

I had a twin tip Barfoot, I think it was my third board. I remember it being flourescent yellow, with hot pink crazy banana bindings, super stiff and a way better performer than my performer ( both of which I wish I still owned ). I remember taking the barfoot on a trip to Colorado circa 1988, and having some epoch days at A-basin and full moon, midnight salvos of Loveland pass. Ahhhh thanks for the memories Chuck!

I've heard a lot about old boards here and the pioneers of the sport, but I haven't heard any mention about Chuck. It's all either Jake or Tom. Is it because he didn't make alpine boards? The Stealth series he made were some nice freeride carving boards and I also had a couple of his older boards for freestyle that were pretty grippy. Barfoot's just doing the longboard skateboards now, but he was there in the beginning with Burton, Sims, Winterstick, and Avalanche. Anyone else ever ride a Barfoot?

The guys on Mt Hood were absolutely passionate about Barfoot boards.

I rode a few back in the day and always felt solid on them. Not to mention Chuck is one of the happiest and nicest guys you ever want to meet.

Still stoked to talk "Oldsnowboards".

Bryan

post-198-141842256047_thumb.jpg

I remember the old horizontally-laminated ones with the ultra-flimsy bindings. They weren't sophisticated, but they were sturdy! The bindings sure were horrible though.

The bindings were VERY flimsy. I replaced mine with, crap, I can't think of the manufacturer. The boards were bomb-proof though!

back in the day, when I was rippin' on my brand new Barfoot 161 twin tip, my mamma used to say" how long do you think this snowboard fad will last?".

Remember the Archenback brothers and Don Schwartz? those were the original Canadian pros.

remember the very first issue of transword snowboarding? the cover shot is of Dave Arch airing somewhere in Alberta on a Barfoot. The caption read "the first time".

My mamma does ask me anymore about that "snowboard fad". She now snowboards as often as possible.

Barfoot was the first board i ever slid down a mtn. the neon green one, what a blast.

Darren keeps droping hints that a Loaded Snowboard is in the works....

hopefully Chuck will take part in the construction and mfg.....Darren Ratcliffe is a great designer and a great rider. I cant wate to ride the new loaded snowboard line. :biggthump

Remember the Archenback brothers and Don Schwartz? those were the original Canadian pros.

Glad to hear your mum's on board. Ken's mum rides the cat, but I think that's just because she's trying to get off with the driver.

Here's Don from New Year's day... those guys are still very much in the business, although I think Dave maybe sells beer (which isn't that far away from snowboarding...).

858510149.jpg

remember the very first issue of transword snowboarding? the cover shot is of Dave Arch airing somewhere in Alberta on a Barfoot. The caption read "the first time".

Archenback, Christian? You must be referring to their styles...

That shot of Dave Achenbach was at Sunshine Village in the natural QP. Funny that the winds don't blow that way anymore. That feature hasn't set up like that in years, but was always there in the 80's.

Phil: Does Ken know where Dave is now? You can also tell Schwarty if you see him that he needs to get back on a Noboard (and that he's a fa...)

I'll always remember riding with Dave Ach one afternoon when I was just a newbie, and being blown away by him flying through a set of big bumps on that plywood Barfoot. He'd straight-line them, then let himself launch off one and clear 3 or 4 bumps and carry on. That was back when they used to have bump competitions for snowboards.