Note to New Members ×

Do footbeds/orthotics have a life span?

Jeffrey Day

On one of the discussions at this years ECES, we were talking about the life of Deeluxes' Thermo-flex liners. The manufacturer says something like they can be molded about 7 times. I think the general concensus was that with each molding the liners get a bit firmer, and that 7 times is a bit of a stretch. More like about 4 times. Firmer liners may be good for some, not so good for others.

It got me to thinking, do footbeds or orthotics have a life span too?

The best boot fitting/molding that I've gotten so far has been when I was out at Breckenridge, which was in 2003, I think. Which is when I got some footbeds, I think made by Instaprint. So my footbeds are about 5 seasons old with about 30-40 days per year on them.

Should I look into new footbeds?

Hmmm. my orthotics I wear in my shoes are hard plastic, but my podiatrist didn't mention my feet would change.....

My molded footbeds I keep in my boots (both my Salomons and my Deeluxes)

still work well, but they are just at 2 years old now.

I am sure that in general the footbed will last longer than your feet do particulary in a relatively low use item like a ski or snowboard boot. Your feet do change with time and experience. weight gain or loss can especially effect them.

skatha, A hard orthotic should last indefinetly but its a good idea to get rechecked every two years or so. Personally I don't like to see people in hard orthotics. They support the arches well but they don't allow the arches to move dynamically with the body. THe arches need to move and flex in order to properly support the pelvis and spine. The one area where I would wear a harder orthotic is skiing and snowboarding. The motion dynamic in the foot is different and the Gforces make a soft orthotic uncomfortable.

Any time you injure your foot would also be a time to get them checked once you heal up:biggthump

I asked my pedorthist about the whole "foot changing" thing, he said it does happen but he is surprised at how infrequently it happens.

Dr D, I am also surprised to hear you say that a soft orthotic is uncomfortable for boarding and skiing. I've done it both ways and you'd have to pay me quite a bit to go back to hard. The soft are more comfortable by far, especially at the end of the day.

Guest Tool Can

For what it is worth

Have had Intuition liners that where able to be molded beyond three time's with no ill afect on flex or volume.

Do like the fact that one can shave them for those spurs or other hot spots with out liner failure and the build quality is tops.

IE wear around the Cuff.....

Foot beds are a preference deal for sure. Ran some custom Cork type Super Feet and they where very compfie.

But they broke down and compressed way fast causing instability and hot spots.

Regular old Super Feet are less $$$ Are firm and are wearing well in the long run.

However I would like to hear about some better soft-ish Foot Bed options so please relay your experience and or preference.

Please Advise?

Snowing as low as 1000ft here today and coming your way Dr.D

Can't Stand it. I am going up to MT.

Work is:sleep:any way

TC

I asked my pedorthist about the whole "foot changing" thing, he said it does happen but he is surprised at how infrequently it happens.

Dr D, I am also surprised to hear you say that a soft orthotic is uncomfortable for boarding and skiing. I've done it both ways and you'd have to pay me quite a bit to go back to hard. The soft are more comfortable by far, especially at the end of the day.

I suspect we aren't talking oranges and oranges here. there is a difference between what I would prescribe for correction in a normal shoe and what I would prescribe for a ski boot. I don't use the hard fiberglass ones for anything. I don't put much correction in a bed to be used for skiing. I use a harder grade foam for ski orthotics than I would for regular corrective orthotics. they still move but are more supportive and handle the G's better.:lurk:

For what it is worth

Have had Intuition liners that where able to be molded beyond three time's with no ill afect on flex or volume.

Do like the fact that one can shave them for those spurs or other hot spots with out liner failure and the build quality is tops.

IE wear around the Cuff.....

Foot beds are a preference deal for sure. Ran some custom Cork type Super Feet and they where very compfie.

But they broke down and compressed way fast causing instability and hot spots.

Regular old Super Feet are less $$$ Are firm and are wearing well in the long run.

However I would like to hear about some better soft-ish Foot Bed options so please relay your experience and or preference.

Please Advise?

Snowing as low as 1000ft here today and coming your way Dr.D

Can't Stand it. I am going up to MT.

Work is:sleep:any way

TC

I will be on the mtn all day tomorrow and saturday!:D gotta work friday:( come on up you can check out the 173:biggthump

On one of the discussions at this years ECES, we were talking about the life of Deeluxes' Thermo-flex liners. The manufacturer says something like they can be molded about 7 times. I think the general concensus was that with each molding the liners get a bit firmer, and that 7 times is a bit of a stretch. More like about 4 times. Firmer liners may be good for some, not so good for others.

It got me to thinking, do footbeds or orthotics have a life span too?

Hi Jeff Day, the cats are helping me type here so excuse any errors... For your deeulxe liners the manufacturer suggest 3 times, but i have seen people go beyond that! I do also wear orthodics and haven't asked about why you need to change them but 3-5 years is what my chiropractor and podiatrist say, and that time frame depends on how my back feels.... but with a basic answer, yes they do have a life span! Hope you are having fun!

I am sure that in general the footbed will last longer than your feet do particulary in a relatively low use item like a ski or snowboard boot. Your feet do change with time and experience. weight gain or loss can especially effect them.

skatha, A hard orthotic should last indefinetly but its a good idea to get rechecked every two years or so. Personally I don't like to see people in hard orthotics. They support the arches well but they don't allow the arches to move dynamically with the body. THe arches need to move and flex in order to properly support the pelvis and spine. The one area where I would wear a harder orthotic is skiing and snowboarding. The motion dynamic in the foot is different and the Gforces make a soft orthotic uncomfortable.

Any time you injure your foot would also be a time to get them checked once you heal up:biggthump

My orthotics are designed to minimize wiggling between my tibia and my talus-oops, I meant my tibia and the cadaver's talus, although, by now, I suspect my osteoblasts and osteoclasts have moved in and set up shop.

If anyone here doesn't know-get a CT or MRI if somebody tells you you just sprained your ankle snowboarding!

I suspect we aren't talking oranges and oranges here. there is a difference between what I would prescribe for correction in a normal shoe and what I would prescribe for a ski boot. I don't use the hard fiberglass ones for anything. I don't put much correction in a bed to be used for skiing. I use a harder grade foam for ski orthotics than I would for regular corrective orthotics. they still move but are more supportive and handle the G's better.:lurk:

Hmmm... my corrective beds and my ski/boards beds are made from the same material and the same mold... they are just cut differently to fit the inside of shoes vs ski boot liners. I have zero complaints about either, they are both quite soft.

Hmmm... my corrective beds and my ski/boards beds are made from the same material and the same mold... they are just cut differently to fit the inside of shoes vs ski boot liners. I have zero complaints about either, they are both quite soft.

I would have to guess then that they are soft supportive custom molded to fit your foot without any corrective changes other than pronation/supination wedging. this would be quite common and completely adequate for your purposes (ie comfort):biggthump