Note to New Members ×

Anyone like to cook?

photodad2001

A while back I got a great recipe for making the Indian dish, "Chicken Vindaloo". This wasn't from a book or off the intraweb, but from a lady originally from India. Unfortunately the recipe was lost and I don't know how to get in touch with the lady, but I do remember from making it the bulk of the recipe, and I've added my own touches to make it more to my liking. (Made it this way last night so no worries)

First list of ingredients:

1 whole chicken

1 can coconut milk (don't use Lite, it thins out the sauce and doesn't taste as good)

1 can diced tomatoes

1 small can tomatoe sauce

1 small can of peas (or half a cup frozen)

2 cups diced potatoes

half a stick of butter

corn starch (optional)

Spices:

Cumin, Red Pepper, Allspice, Tumeric, Curry powder, Cinnamon, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Salt (I prefer Sea Salt), and Black Pepper.

Start off with cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot. (When you're done you're going to have plenty of chicken left over to do chicken and dumplings the next day.) Pull the meat from the bone and place about half of it in a bowl. I like to use a combonation of white and dark meat. Put the rest in the fridge.

Dice your potatoes and boil till soft. Strain and put off to the side.

Mix 1 teaspoon of each: Cumin, Red Pepper, Allspice, Curry powder, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Salt, and add HALF teaspoon of Black Pepper, Tumeric, and ONE QUARTER teaspoon of Cinnamon in a large plastic sealable bag. Shake to mix the spices. Add chicken pieces and shake again. I also rub the bag to push the spices into the meat. Put off to the side. (To make hotter double the amount of spices you just put a whole teaspoon of in, don't add more Tumeric or Cinnamon.)

In a large pot add 1 can coconut milk, 4 tablespoons tomatoe sauce, 1 can tomatoes (strain off fluid), 1 small can of peas (strained), and 2 cups of diced potatoes. Place over medium heat and add half a stick of butter. Once butter is melted pour in the chicken pieces. If the sauce isn't as thick as you like add corn starch.

Serve over rice with some Nan. Pina Colada would go good with this!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But sounds good.

Shouldn't need the corn starch

Chopped onions would be a good addition. fried untill brown for more flavor.

The spices should not generally be added to a wet mixture, but rather seared first of all or during the frying part.

Vindaloo is normally very hot (spicy) so add some cayenne pepper.

Indian sauces often have yogurt (and a little sugar to balance the tartness)

Fresh coriander is a favorite ingredient.

Indian food is fantastic. I made chicken korma last night :)

BobD

Vindaloo is normally very hot (spicy) so add some cayenne pepper.

Indian sauces often have yogurt (and a little sugar to balance the tartness)

Fresh coriander is a favorite ingredient.

Indian food is fantastic. I made chicken korma last night :)

BobD

Red Pepper, Cayenne Pepper same thing isn't it? The container I have says Red Cayenne Pepper. Should I change the spice list?

Yogurt can be used instead of the coconut milk, and generally is for this dish, but I like the tropical flavor it brings. The chicken isn't fried, but could if you want. Maybe a better idea would be to first cut up the chicken raw, then rub in the spices and then grill. Kinda like an Indian Jerk Chicken! I love making Jamacian Jerk Chicken on the grill in the summer! Goes great on a bed of rice and a spoon full of orange marmilade!!! (Black beans on the side of course)

Not sure about the onion suggestion, but the coriander would be good. Maybe instead of coriander, cilantro?

Sorry, yes your red pepper is cayenne (or chille powder in other countries, but not here)

You can use both yogurt and coconut milk in the samr dish. Creamed cocnut bars are better for flavor and thickening, but I haven't been able to find them here.

Corriander is used both as a ground spice from the seeds or chopped leaves which you would know as cilantro.

My favorite ethnic food is Malaysian. A cross between Indian, Indonesian and chinese (at least that's my take).

BobD

Corriander is used both as a ground spice from the seeds or chopped leaves which you would know as cilantro.

My favorite ethnic food is Malaysian. A cross between Indian, Indonesian and chinese (at least that's my take).

I was thinking about using the cilantro as an after thought. Sprinkle a little on top for a garnish.

Never had Malaysian, sounds awesome. It's hard enough to find a desent Indian place around here. Have to drive half an hour to get to the closest one. I watch the food and travel channel and would love to take a trip with Anthony Bourdain! Now that's EC (extreme cooking)!!!:lol:

coconut is not my forte,

but if anyone happens to know of an eastern european (perhaps romanian) dish that consists of a whole chicken rubbed in red, hot spices,

i would love the recipe. Its mentioned in the beggining of Bram Stokers "Dracula", though im sure its a real dish

I had a lot of Indian food in malaysia that was spectacular.:biggthump Singapore has better indian food than chinese food in my opinion. The best from that part of the world though was the Thai food. I have found nothing like it even in Thai restaurants here. Beautiful food to. I think they are the kings of Garnish. I would love to find some of those recipes but i don't even know what most of it was called.:confused:

Cool - Will have to try that one.

My favorite comfort food is a variation on Saffron Chicken.

So tasty!! Oh look! A Video recipe!

I cube the chicken, substitute half of the cream with plain yogurt, and

"garam masala" instead of chili's. Usually add a bit of butter to the

chicken-frying process, and skip on the spinach.

Always served over Basmati Rice... with some Naan bread ...

oohhhh *Drool*

Bob D:

You ever been to "Satay2Go" in Apple Valley, or "Kabobs" in Bloomington?

Both are restaurants in strip-malls, but have pretty tasty food.

Bob D:

You ever been to "Satay2Go" in Apple Valley, or "Kabobs" in Bloomington?

Both are restaurants in strip-malls, but have pretty tasty food.

Didn't rate Satay to go very highly, though I had been excited to find it.

If you guys are into spicey food, We'll have to have you over sometime. I make good satay and a mean versian of Malaysian ginger chicken.

BobD

I am blessed to have a small Indian grocery store nearby (Raj's Cash and Carry), I buy spices, rice, amazing indian yogurt, pre-made Paneer (anything is better than making it yourself) Ghee, naan, and just about anything else you can imagine (the Chickpea bread that the owners wife makes is divine). I cook Indian 2-3 times a week just putting ingredients together. The one really interesting thing is to make things really spicey without making them hot.

Malay food is also tasty and as easy to adapt from Indian spices as Middle Eastern and North African food...

Malay food is also tasty and as easy to adapt from Indian spices as Middle Eastern and North African food...

Crudely, add soy sauce and peanut butter.

I'm out of practice, but once you get to know the cooking meathods and how the spices work, you can go out to eat somewhere, then the following week approximate the same food.

I see in the UK now, you can buy a home tandoori oven

http://www.foroutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoori_Oven.html

I seem to remember a story years ago about top resturaunts in India buying their Tandoori ovens from Britain because the clay had some special qualities.

BobD

I've done this a few times, most local grocery stores carry it and it is really pretty good. Patak's cooking sauces. If your store doesn't have an Indian section, look in Thai. They are quite good, just add chicken, lamb, potatoes, whatever you're making and make some rice... you're done. It's like "Chicken Curry Helper"!!!:lol:

http://www.pataks.co.uk/products/index.php

Crudely, add soy sauce and peanut butter.

you forgot ginger and cilantro but yes, We keep ground peanut paste and Tahini in the house for Malay/indonesian cooking...SE asian currys are greener. Lately I've been cooking more middle eastern and North African with lots of cinamon

I'm out of practice, but once you get to know the cooking meathods and how the spices work, you can go out to eat somewhere, then the following week approximate the same food.

I still need a cookbook at times but my wife just works from our spice cabinet

I see in the UK now, you can buy a home tandoori oven

http://www.foroutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoori_Oven.html

I seem to remember a story years ago about top resturaunts in India buying their Tandoori ovens from Britain because the clay had some special qualities.

BobD

that's just bada$$ I wish we had those available here

That recipe looks more like a curry than a vindaloo, which uses a vinegar-based marinade. Granted, I've been served "vindaloo" in US restaurants that were simply a spicy curry.

Here's a good idea of what I'm used to, lamb with plenty of tamarind and ginger along with the vinegar. Highly recommended recipe.

Another recipe with chicken that's similar to yours, but more like a vindaloo you'd get in Goa.

"Of course, lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!" - Dave Lister

-jon-

That recipe looks more like a curry than a vindaloo, which uses a vinegar-based marinade.

Curry is just an Indian term for "spicy" or "spices". There are different ways of preparing vindaloo from different regions of India. I've eaten at a total of 6 different Indian restaraunts in my life, 5 in my own state and 1 in Florida and I've had vindaloo at all 6 and I'd have to say not one of them tasted like another. Kinda like going to a chilli cook off.

Er, not really. Curry means gravy or sauce -- and the term isn't really used by Indians, it's an English word from the Raj era. A vindaloo is a type of curry, which in Goa is made with a vinegar sauce, and is nearly always quite spicy and hot. Maybe I should have said "That recipe looks more like a generic curry than a vindaloo curry."

And the comparison to chili is rather apt. Even in the same region, dishes will have a lot of variance. My last trip to Hyderabad, I must have eaten a dozen different biryani, and none were the same. All were amazing, though.

-jon-

Curry is just an Indian term for "spicy" or "spices".

Garam masala is actually the Indian term for spices/spice mixes. Last time I was in Bahrain I went spice shopping in the souq, it's nice when you can mix your own. As well as buying a scoop of premixed (the cone on the left)

070617-N-2019P-409.jpg

Yesterday I smoked an 8 lb brisket, 1 lb of Italian sausage and 1 lb of wild salmon. All done on a charcoal fired Weber Bullet. Good eats!!!

Spices - http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

Smoking / grilling - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

http://www.thesmokering.com/default.jsp

http://www.bbqu.net/

Our favorite cooking magazine and series of cook books http://www.cooksillustrated.com/

BEER CBA_logo_green.jpg- http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/

Yesterday I smoked an 8 lb brisket, 1 lb of Italian sausage and 1 lb of wild salmon.

How many rolling papers did you have to use? Did it give you a buzz?:smashfrea

Dogfish is awesome!!! They may not have it where you're at, but Great Lakes makes some fine tasting adult beverages.

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerOurBeers.php

My last trip to Hyderabad, I must have eaten a dozen different biryani, and none were the same. All were amazing, though.

-jon-

Was this a business or pleasure trip? I've been out of the country one time up to Canada, and that was nearly over a decade ago.

I don't think I've had a vinegar based vindaloo. (or maybe I haven't had a vindaloo then) I think I'd be able to tell if I had, vinegar has a strong distinctive flavor. The woman who gave me the recipe was from Sri Lanka, I don't know if that would make a difference.

Speaking of vinegar, I love to make Chinese Hot'n Sour soup. I have a decent recipe I got off of recipesource.com.

oh yes...about 2 city blocks of spices, cooking supplies and other dry goods...makes your sinuses clear for weeks...of course buying $10 worth of saffron there means you get about $200 worth here in the USA. I gave $10 to my dad and my aunt last Xmas and they are still raving about it

That looks like one of the many outdoor markets in Thailand as well. Although most of them smell like dead fish, as they use a lot of shrimp and fish paste.

You guys that live in the city are very lucky. here in the mountains we now have one Himilayan restuarant, and a vitamin cottage that sells some ethnic spices and such, but I really wish we had an Asian market. Anyone know of a good one in Denver/Boulder?

Cooking is my specialty. I grew up in the south, and learned to cook from my mom and grandmother. However, over the past few years and becoming a veg-head, I've learned to be quite creative with my cooking, even making some traditional cajun dishes without meat!

Expirement! Cook with passion! Sorry.....I really like it.